Want To Upgrade FS2004 Scenery

vaseycr

Have been a FS simmer for more years than I care to admit. Currently using FS2004 after a brief foray into FSX & want to improve on the default scenery. Most of my flying is done at 5000 ft. or less. I expect that I will have to invest in pay ware. What product will give me the best results? I presume I will have to purchase many packages to get coverage of a single continent. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

CRV

Presume you have Ultimate Terrain? That should be the first thing, immediately after FS9. It gets the water in the right place and shape and in Canada that is a high priority. Outside of Canada and the US I have no personal experience of it but I would imagine it is a big improvement anywhere in the world.

Hello Clare. I hope you are doing well.

The other two replies are correct... Ultimate Terrain is definitely needed, as is a good (payware) terrain mesh product.

FSGlobal is a great start, but (I) personally have always preferred FSGenesis for my terrain mesh. FSGlobal will be much more affordable though these days, as the 'discounted memberships' to FSGenesis no longer exist. Today the cost to obtain ALL of the FSG meshes would be extremely expensive. Ouch $$$ Get FSGlobal.

The best freeware weather software is definitely FSrealWX. It's lightning fast, simple and ultra realistic using 'live' METAR information directly from the web. You must register (free) to download products. Download FSrealWX Pro. Pay NO attention to any messages stating it is a trial item. FSrealWX will ALWAYS be a free product. That message was placed within the software to make the encoded software work properly. The software is truly 100% FREE!!!

http://www.fsrealwx.net

With your weather, you will want to get some cloud textures. The best textures for FS9 and FSX are from REX. However, that is the ONLY part of the REX system that I employ. As stated above, I use the FSrealWX for my live weather data.

For freeware cloud textures, there are several available. HDE ReDux is a great start.

Now for ground textures. Hands-down, the best replacement ground textures/autogen product available is the FS9 Evolution 2015 package. It is listed as freeware, but could be considered donationware also. In other words, you make a donation of what you deem fair for worldwide textures, and the author will send you the DropBox link to download the entire package of files. It is slightly involved to install, but if the directions are followed slowly and carefully (read everything first) the end results are purely spectacular! I have it installed on both of my FS9 systems and I absolutely will not fy without it anymore. Period!

Package name is FS9 EVO2015. Author is Sascha66.

Send him a private message and hopefully he will respond back quickly. I highly recommend him.:)

I own Ground_Environment Pro. It is an amazing product, but slightly outdated. It also can consume HUGE amount of space to the multitudes of extra textures files needed for each set. FS9 EVO replaces your current FS9 main textures with complete sets for each season only (excluding Spring - not finished yet). GEP creats a complete texture set depending on the sky conditions you want to best represent the day/night flight you car flying and they recommend at least 15 sets each for best presentation. This equals a LOT of data. Great product... but I prefer the newer FS9 EVO.

Also search the water replacement textures too available online. The freeware products work wonderfully well.

As always, be sure to backup your FS9 texture folders somewhere safe before making changes, so you can revert back if needed.

Best wishes!!! :D ~Glenn

Some pictures of my system using the REX clouds (textures ONLY), FSrealWX weather, FS9 EVO 2015 ground textures & autogen, Ultimate Terrain USA and the FSG terrain mesh. Airplane is the Carenado Piper Arrow IV model. I think it looks pretty good.

tn_fsscr040.jpgtn_fsscr050.jpgtn_fsscr052.jpgtn_fsscr062.jpg

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

It is also very dependant as to where you want to fly. Here in South Africa, we are using the most amazing scenery & mesh (freeware) from our local developers Aeroworx.

Sometimes, freeware can actually be quite stunning.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived