CRJ-700 engines wont manually start up

dehman137

Hi everyone-

So I've recently decided to start flying with manual engine start up and am having some issues. I am able to start up the default 737 but cannot see to start the crj-700. I have watched many youtube tutorials and just about all of them tell me to do itthe same way. Ive followed each step as accurately as I could and still they wont start up. Heres a video showing how I started it. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

https://youtu.be/WYMd7Wti_is

Thanks,

dEHmAN137

It looked to me like the engines started...Or did I miss something? It looked like the engine instrument display was indicating, although my resolution isn't good enough to see exactly what they were indicating. I am not sure, but a lot of the time, if you use a default plane and save it as your "cold and dark" default flight, I think you have to hit CTRL+SHFT+F4 to get fuel flow, whatever your plane may say. I am guessing that the two illuminated buttons beside the word FUEL on the overhead were the fuel valve switches? If so, should you wait till the engine shows 20% or whatever for that plane before turning the fuel on? Are there fuel pumps that need to be ON? I didn't see the throttles get moved from from shut-down to idle during the start process. Or maybe that plane the lowest they go is idle...

Have you tried doing the normal shut-down on that plane (even if you have to hit CTRL+E to get them going initially) and then saving that plane in the shut-down condition as the default flight?

I am just trying to figure the possibilities...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I just tried mine, again, for the umpteenth time, and manual engine start works like a charm. I don't turn on the fuel boost pumps, I just turn on the battery and then hit the engine start button on the left along with the switch labeled CONT. the engine ignites around N1 4.5 and then push engine start for the 2nd engine. With both running I turn off the start and CONT switches.

I think the Tweak is going in the right direction. What is your default flight setup? Mine is the Baron in a cold and dark situation, all switches off (except for Avionics) and full rich mixture. This might be your problem.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Some jet engines take a l-o-n-g time to spool up, so go to external view and pan to headon view so you can visually check that the turbines are beginning to spin.

Also listen for the increasing whine while you're outside, it gets muffled in the cockpit.

I'm impatient to get up in the air, so I simply use CTRL-E to start them, (just one press is needed no matter how many engines it's got) and they usually start one after the other which could take some time on 4-engine planes.

Yep, wrong Bombardier.

Report: Something is missing in ours. I saw your YouTube and repeated on mine (both AC Bombar...) and nothing happened as per the OP. They just sit there stuck at N1 8.4 and N2 at 24.7 until you know what freeze over. Ctrl-E works for both though. Weird.

We are missing something.

Cheers,

We are missing something.

Cheers,

Default flight is the only thing I can think of. What aircraft are you using for that and what condition is it in, Cold and Dark, or engines running?

I am using the default CRJ-700 and was originally using a cold dark startup save from the 737 with engines, apu, and battery all off, I even went back in to mak sure all swichesand fuel flow levers were cut (atleast turned off the wones that arent on defualt when the flight starts). Even when it didnt work I reverted back to the original tartup FLTSIM files and still, no spool.

Try this. Create a cold and dark flight with the default Baron58 and make sure the mixture levers are full rich, throttles at idle and prop levers full forward. Then the usual lights off, avionics switch on then save as "Default Flight".

That's how my default flight is set up and I have no problems manually starting any aircraft, prop or jet.

I also recommend that "Automixture" control is unchecked in your Realism Settings.

I tried your method and it did not work, however I launched the regular game (Im currently using steam edition) and the engines started up properly. Is fsx-se known for having engine startup issues?

Unknown on my part! I still use FSX- disc version. I still wish there was some sort of Tagging system that would indicate from your first post about using FSX-SE vs FSX boxed.

I use FSX-SE. I can't get into the sim for a while, like till this evening, but I will see what I can see when I get the sim going this evening, and then report back about 0030 PST. Sorry it's so late, but that's my schedule, if that's ok. If someone gets the answer first, I won't bother.

Let ya know later on, till then, good fortune follow your footsteps!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Maybe in your fsx-steam the fsx.cfg file is named fsx-se.cfg instead.

Nope. The FSX.cfg is FSX.cfg in Steam, too. Same location as FSX's from what I've seen too.

Ok, on my way for an op-check

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Default flight is the only thing I can think of. What aircraft are you using for that and what condition is it in, Cold and Dark, or engines running?

Sorry about the delay.

In both Bombardier (CRJ-700 & Learjet defaults) the manual crank doesn't finish lighting up the engines. They both sit there at N1=8.0 and N2=25.0 and nothing else. I switched to the default B737 and tried manual start and bingo! there it went just fine to completion of light up to idle.

There must be a xml file controlling this process somewhere...

Something like this: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/engine-starter-sequence.33468/

It might be also in C or C++.

Cheers,

PS: At any rate, Ctrl+2 would do for me just fine and it does for both types of Bombardier.

Well, I tested the CRJ out. Parked it, shut it down, saved (not as default), exited the game, got back in and set the default flight to the default 737, cold-n-dark. Got back in, swapped over to the CRJ flight I had saved, fired it up.

I MAY have found your trouble. I opened the Overhead and throttle panels. Battery ON. I started the APU, let it stabilize, got the APU electrics on, Bleed air to AUTO, set the ignition to CONT, and pushed L Start Button, which lit up properly. And once the N2 got to about 21 or 22%, there it sat. UNTIL I moved the throttles from shut-down to IDLE (Using F3). Engine lit, and awaaaay it went. Did the same on the right engine, worked fine.

I didn't notice you mention the throttles... Or did I just miss it?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

UNTIL I moved the throttles from shut-down to IDLE (Using F3). Engine lit, and awaaaay it went. Did the same on the right engine, worked fine.

I didn't notice you mention the throttles... Or did I just miss it?

Pat☺

Nah, ya didn't miss it! That was in Post#14 of mine.

I reinstalled fsx-se and tried again and it seemed to work, after a little more testing I think I found what was causing the problem. For some reason, the engines seem to have a problem with starting manually when I hit the engine (auto shutdown) but when I shut off the engines by setting the fuel levers to cut everything seemed to work fine. Very strange.

Archived