Windows 10 and FSX

josegts

The community has figured this out.

1. Make sure video drivers are 353.62 Win 10.

2. Delete the Shaders folder contents.

3. Move your FSX.cfg and start with a fresh .cfg if #1 and #2 do not work.

Yes this is for DX9 mode. I am using it now for 4 days.

Any other suggestions? I tried all these and FSX still only works in DX10 mode (always been buggy, even in Win7). In DX9, I still get a black preview window and when starting a flight, I get a black screen and an image of the plane that should have been in the preview window. The program doesn't run as it should. I'm running an Nvidia GeForce GTX650ti. If I can't get this sorted out, I don't know what I'm going to do. DX10 mode has never looked right and DX9 doesn't even work. I just downloaded and installed Windows 10 2 days ago but I'm going to check for an update. Please Help! lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also have a problem with Windows 10. I was running the FSX boxed version on Windows 7 and except for a few random program crashes everything was OK. Now with Windows 10 my add on aeroplanes show no textures. The outside of the planes are an off white colour all over. The default FSX aeroplanes seem OK. Any suggestions?

I had FSX running fine on Win10 then I updated my AMD driver (Radeon HD 7800) to 15.20.1062.1033 and nothing works now. I can launch and change everything but when I press "Fly..." it crashes....

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 8/10/2015 5:15:36 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Maloney-PC

Description:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3

Faulting module name: API.DLL, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e180d

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000529cf

Faulting process id: 0x251c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0d38789c89850

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\API.DLL

Report Id: 7e3122a6-8269-4b98-b3dc-2fa2a8cbd436

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

Maloney-PC

fsx.exe

475e17d3

API.DLL

475e180d

c0000005

000529cf

251c

01d0d38789c89850

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\API.DLL

7e3122a6-8269-4b98-b3dc-2fa2a8cbd436

Thanks for any advice re a better driver or any other solution.

John

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 yesterday and i can confirm that FSX worked without any problems. I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 twice and got an error ''0x80070004 - 0x3000d''. I had no idea what this meant even after going through every single Windows 10 forum. But thankfully i stumbled upon this thread on avsim which which solved my problem. The problem was being caused by an orbx file. All details here.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/472563-to-anyone-getting-the-0x80070004-0x3000d-on-install/

Removing that file solved my problem and i was able to install Windows 10 without any problems. Right after i upgraded, i upgraded to the latest Windows 10 driver (353.62) for my GT540M card. No problem there either. Right after that i fired up FSX and everything seemed normal if not better. No Issues with sound or graphics.

Overall, I am very very happy with the new OS.

System specs.

Dell XPS 15 l502x

i5-2430M

6GB RAM

Nvidia GT540M 2GB

Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

JDKorna

Many thanks for your reply.

I am a total novice. I think that it was DX9 but I am not sure. The problem seems only to now be with Add On aircraft. The default ones seem oK. I have tried to reinstall some add ons but this has no effect. I needed to check the DX10 box to allow me to see the preview screen and when it was actually flying.

Windows 10 is definitely incompatible with FS 2004( FS9 ) but it is not with FSX . Fortunately I had a copy of FSX that I never used because it wouldn't run half as well as FS9 . I had to uninstall FS9 and then install FSX . It loaded great with no problems but now my biggest challenge is trying to tweak the settings . It appears if I set some of the memory hogging settings to high ( scenery , weather etc ) the program will suddenly display a window saying " your program has stopped running " As we all know , unless you have a real High end computer to run FSX with any amount of success you have to sacrifice some of the memory hogging features that make FSX better than previous versions . I am a private pilot and invested in the Saitec yoke , rudder pedals and throttle quadrant so when I found out that windows 10 did not support FS versions that require a disc to be in the F: Drive I was forced to go to FSX 10 . Being able to use FSX despite obvious problems is certainly better than nothing at all !

OK,

Win 10 has nothing to do with those planes being blank. They would have been blank even before because it's the DX9 or DX10 Preview setting that changes this for some planes. Re-installing will not make a difference, only using DX10 Mode or not will make them appear. Again, this is is not because of your Operating System.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I'm still on Vista and it keeps telling me the Product Activation Key is invalid....yet I have the original sleeve right here and it is correct as per the yellow sticker. Checked and recheck it 10 times. No go?

ROG Strix X470 Gaming MoBo

Ryzen 7 2700X CPU

Crucial 1TB MX500 2.5" Internal SSD

G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Many thanks for your help and advice. I have got the DX10 preview box checked and will go through the add on aircraft to see if the pure FSX ones are OK and to see if it is modified FS9 ones causing problems.

I have also updated my video drivers.

By the way how do you deleted the Shaders Cache folder contents? Do you need and empty folder?

• 3 weeks later...
I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 last Friday, Aug 28 2015. I run FSX Deluxe along with PMDG 737 NGX 800. I had no problem other than the following: when FSX opened for the first time in Win 10 it asked for my -FSX KEY-. I inserted it and that was the last time it was requested. The other problem was choosing my 737 800 winglet. It would not show in the box prior to my telling FSX to commence flying. I researched the problem on various sim sites and found that if you press-ALT plus ENTER--The airplane appears. I have not had a problem since. I have tested most flying features in various airplanes and can report that all is normal and perhaps a little bit better fps wise. I am quite happy so far and have mentioned this to Microsoft. Many of my flying companions are hesitant to convert. By the way, the installation of Win 10 was flawless in my case.

Windows 10 is a great OS. Looks like Microsoft got it right! The problem I’m having may not be due to the OS but I have never had it any time in my FSX history. I reformatted all drives – install Windows 7 clean and upgraded to Windows 10. I reinstalled FSX in its own solid state reformatted hard drive. It ran great! Then I began adding some OrbX products and installed something wrong and the landscape became covered in water. I was unable to uninstall OrbX in any way resembling anything so I uninstalled FSX and reformatted the FSX hard drive. I reinstalled FSX and now continually get the message “Microsoft Flight simulator has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.” Tried all the suggested fixes here even though it appeared the problems were different. No joy. Uninstalled and reformatted again (I’m persistent if not savvy.) I cleaned my registry and made certain all FSX related folders in ‘aps’ and programs had been deleted. Reinstalled. Problem persist. P3d runs fine but I prefer some of the FSX add-ons that aren’t P3d compatible sometimes. Have updated windows 10 drivers on my Nvidia card. I’m at a loss where to go next or even why the problem won’t go away since it didn’t exist before I had problems with my OrbX install and I started clean again.

Any ideas anyone? Any information that I need to give to help solve it?

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

In dire circumstances you can do a full clean win10 install again instead of the upgrade installation (which might get buggy from win7 stuffs).

Just check your control panel for backup and restore options and you should see the option for a fresh install of windows.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

See the post #33 in this thread for an possible fix to your problem

. . . . I was unable to uninstall OrbX in any way resembling anything so I uninstalled FSX and reformatted the FSX hard drive. I reinstalled FSX and now continually get the message “Microsoft Flight simulator has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.” . . . .

Orbx not involved in this problem. I have not reinstalled all my add-ons yet. I did reinstall FS Genesis. I then uninstalled that, but no joy.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Broken installation. Your going to have to start from scratch and stop trying to jerry-rig it with data already installed.

And when I say from scratch, I mean from scratch. Remove every single thing FSX related. Clean your registry, defrag your HDD and run a chkdsk. Then install FSX on its own and test its stability before adding content.

Oh and FYI you dont uninstall OrbX stuff. You just delete it. Its just texture data.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Broken installation. Your going to have to start from scratch and stop trying to jerry-rig it with data already installed.

And when I say from scratch, I mean from scratch. Remove every single thing FSX related. Clean your registry, defrag your HDD and run a chkdsk. Then install FSX on its own and test its stability before adding content.

Been there - done that! You must have missed this statement below in my original post Caveman.

Of course I've totally incorporated all my programs into my clean Windows 10 install so the suggestion to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 all over again is last possible option. Thanks for weighing in though.

Uninstalled and reformatted again (I’m persistent if not savvy.) I cleaned my registry and made certain all FSX related folders in ‘aps’ and programs had been deleted. Reinstalled. Problem persist.

FYI OrbX does have some program items that need uninstall. Their FTX Central for one and they do have an uninstall for their FTX Global Base. Both add items in the registry and 'AppData' - but not in the Control Panel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

• 1 month later...
The community has figured this out.

1. Make sure video drivers are 353.62 Win 10.

2. Delete the Shaders folder contents.

3. Move your FSX.cfg and start with a fresh .cfg if #1 and #2 do not work.

Yes this is for DX9 mode. I am using it now for 4 days.

Jim,

I am about to upgrade my PC i7-2600K (3.4 GHz) which has been running pretty well until I got too greedy with eye candy and installed FTX Global. Because it was 32 bit, it hit the VAS limit too often (OOMs). I also had a rather merger AMD Radeon HD 6450 GPU.

Trouble is I have a really great hanger of FS9 ports, as well as ntive FSX freeware and payware. I also love my ENB setup. Conclusion - I want to hang onto DX9 for a while yet.

Can you please tell me if the above really allows you to keep going with DX9 in Windows 10 so that I can keep my old hangar contents and ENB going. You say the community and that engenders some confidence. How does the Shaders folder get re-populated?

PS: After one has to generate a fresh FSX.CFG (Option 3), and it runs, is that the time to add the usual tweeks [bUFFER POOLS], Himemfix, etc?

Regards,

Greg

Archived