FSNav approach course deviations

hjwalter

Hi all,

I've been using the latest FSNav for as long as I can remember, mainly for FS9 navigation purposes and I recently noticed that almost all active runway approach courses are being displayed incorrectly on the FSNav map. E.g. an active true runway heading, both default and addon Afcad, is actually 101 degrees (RWY 11 at TFFR) while FSNav displays it's "approach course" as 114 degrees.

After slewing any aircraft to the RWY 11 start position the panel compass shows 101 degrees correctly and everything else seems correct, including the true ILS Localizer beam heading.

ILS approaches work fine at TFFR with the exception that the 114 degree approach course needle is now off by 13 degrees.

I'm only using TFFR here as an example but the deviation is different in different parts of the world and it seems that this can only be caused by something being miscalculated during the FSNav Data Base Creation process.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks in advance.

Hans

I am a bit confused as you have been a member here since 2005, but you are expecting runway headings and approach courses to be displayed/referenced basis TRUE heading/course ?

All navigation is done with reference to magnetic and any charts/navdata will show that. For example the runway you refer to is now labelled runway 12 and has a magnetic approach course of 116 degrees. Magnetic declanation changes over time and this causes runways to be renamed and approach courses to be adjusted. But your runway 11 would never have had an approach of 101 degrees magnetic.

If I place my aircraft at the runway 11 in FS9 my compass shows the correct heading of 114 degrees (which was correct when FS9 was created). If yours shows 101 degrees (the TRUE heading), then there is a problem with your magdec file, or FSNav or another scenery you installed is affecting it.

pschlute,

Thanks for your reply but what I was in fact expecting all along is that the FSNav DBC program creates it's data bases and related navigational map by collecting data directly from all active FS9 runways, their headings, their elevations, VORs, NDBs, localizers, etc, etc.

My existing FS9 TFFR scenery runway 11 heading really is 101 degrees (default and addon) while FSNav actually displays the therefore unexpected approach course of 114 degrees. This has nothing to do with the number of years that I've been a member "here".

There is quite obviously something structurally effecting my FSNav Data Base Creation processes and an "updated magdec" file sounds like a possible culprit but only because of the way you make references to it. I have in any case never heard of such a file nor of it's possible effects on FSNav approach courses and I have most certainly never purposely installed any such file nor any updates to it.

Can you confirm that the FSNav DBC program actually uses data from such a FS9 "magdec" file ? If so, then what is it's exact name and where should it reside ?

Thanks in advance for any extra information and/or advice.

Hans

I am a bit confused as you have been a member here since 2005, but you are expecting runway headings and approach courses to be displayed/referenced basis TRUE heading/course ?

All navigation is done with reference to magnetic and any charts/navdata will show that. For example the runway you refer to is now labelled runway 12 and has a magnetic approach course of 116 degrees. Magnetic declanation changes over time and this causes runways to be renamed and approach courses to be adjusted. But your runway 11 would never have had an approach of 101 degrees magnetic.

If I place my aircraft at the runway 11 in FS9 my compass shows the correct heading of 114 degrees (which was correct when FS9 was created). If yours shows 101 degrees (the TRUE heading), then there is a problem with your magdec file, or FSNav or another scenery you installed is affecting it.

I agree and confirm. My compass sits at 114 for Rwy 11 and FSNav ILS Approach course is listed at 114.

OP: You might want to review this ..... http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426094-false-heading-and-compass-display/

It's worth a try. Sounds like one of your scenery addons messed things up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

pschlute,

My existing FS9 TFFR scenery runway 11 heading really is 101 degrees (default and addon)

Hans

What you can try is to disable your addon scenery in the scenery library. You only need to disable ones you have added. Then restart the sim and try runway11 at TFFR. If it now reads correctly at 114 degrees you can then troubleshoot which addon is causing your problem.

My default TFFR is showing 100.9 as the heading, but when I start there, the compass is showing 114. The runway is showing TRUE bearing, not magnetic bearing which is used for navigation. I think you will find that all runways are shown with the true bearing as they are laid out using survey tools, not a compass.

My default TFFR is showing 100.9 as the heading, but when I start there, the compass is showing 114. The runway is showing TRUE bearing, not magnetic bearing which is used for navigation. I think you will find that all runways are shown with the true bearing as they are laid out using survey tools, not a compass.

Yes that is correct. If you open the default TFFR afcad it shows 100.91 TRUE heading/magnetic variation -14/magnetic heading 114.9.

The sim uses the magdec file so that when you place an aircraft on the runway centreline your compass will read 114.

The problem Hans has is that when he places an aircraft there it shows MAGNETIC heading 101

O.K. guys, I think I'm beginning to see what you all mean.

If I've understood you correctly then this is what happens:

When the FSNav DBC program runs the FS9 sim itself is not active, i.e. is switched off. In this situation the DBC program finds my "Magdec.bgl" and uses it correctly to create magnetic approach courses all over the world on it's map. E.g. 114 degrees for runway 11 at TFFR. The FSNav 114 degree approach course is therefore correct and not the 101 degree compass heading shown in my active FS9.

In my active FS9 the "Magdec.bgl" must therefore get overwritten by some other higher priority (possibly addon scenery) BGL file, resulting in incorrect magnetic runway headings when comparing them to their related FSNav approach courses.

O.K. guys, I'm now going to sytematically de- and re-activate all my 881 addon sceneries with the expectation that suddenly and unexpectedly TFFR's runway heading changes from 101 to 114 degrees.

I will report back ASAP.

Hans

As I recall, there is an updated magdec file in the library. I'm not sure the zip file name though, it's been a long time since I DL'd it. They just took the magnetic variations around the world, and compiled a more up-to-date Magdec.bgl.

Just back up the old (original FS9 file) and drop the new one in where the old one was. worked great for me!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

As I recall, there is an updated magdec file in the library. I'm not sure the zip file name though, it's been a long time since I DL'd it. They just took the magnetic variations around the world, and compiled a more up-to-date Magdec.bgl.

Just back up the old (original FS9 file) and drop the new one in where the old one was. worked great for me!

That won't solve the issues under discussion, though, because it seems the old one is being over-ridden.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Also the post that GWillmot linked to suggested NOT to use the magdec tweak ( putting a copy of it in its own folder and enabling it in the scenery library at a high priority) if one is using the ifly 737. I have no idea why however.

As a test it would be worth doing of course.

One final thought..... what aircraft are you using Hans when you get the wrong runway heading? Some have a TRUE/MAG switch for navigational displays, although that wont affect a basic compass.

Hi guys,

I said I would report back and I can now say that I'm a very happy but tired man !!

Problem solved based on the new knowledge gained from one of you guys that my world wide magnetic deviation fault was in my sim and not in my FSNav map. My "Magdec.bgl" file was being overridden by some active "rogue" scenery BGL with a higher priority. In fact it turned out in the end that there were separate "rogue" BGLs in two of my addon sceneries.

I systematically took a relatively small group of my 881 addon sceneries, de-activated that group, shut the sim down, re-opened the sim and opened my saved test situation at TFFR runway 11 to see if the "magnetic" heading had changed from 101 to 114 degrees. If not I re-activated the last group and de-activated the next group, and so on - for many, many hours.

Murphy's law was definitely also adding some extras to my misery because after I had done all my addon sceneries in this way, there was no heading change at TFFR.

As a last desperate resort I then deactivated the complete top half of my sceneries and then suddenly BINGO !! .... the magnetic heading at TFFR had changed from 101 to 114 degrees. It was now quite obvious to me that there were two or even more "rogue" BGL files messing up my Magdec.bgl data and when one of them had been de-actvated as part of such a small group, the other still active one in another group, had taken over with the same results.

Via further very tedious trial and error methods I managed to isolate two separate airport sceneries, one in Germany and the other in Hungary. Going even further by isolating the actual rogue BGLs themselves and trying to dis-assemble them, revealed that their contents could not be handled, not by SCASM nor by BGL --> XML dis-assemblers. I therefore deleted both airports, any saved flights beginning there and re-routed any AIs calling there. End of problem !! SIGH !!

For all these types of testing I use a very handy non flyable "aircraft" in the form of a crosshair which can also be used to accurately place EZ and RWY12 objects. I downloaded this "plane" many years ago and from memory I believe it's name was something like "FinneyGround Crosshairs". It has quite some very handy options and I can thouroughly recomend it.

Yes, giving the default "Magdec.bgl" a very high priority could possibly have done some good but would definitely then have received a "time bomb" status, waiting to explode in some other totally unexpected and unrelated situation.

Anyway guys, thanks for the lessons and for slewing my nose into the correct heading.

Hans

After many hours of work de- and re-activating groups of addon scenery

Archived