Power Supply

So far we have a solid decision on the following items in out build:

1. Windows 7 Pro.

2. COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower Case (what's the difference between "3-GP" and "5-GP"?)

3. 1050-socket CPU i7 or i5 (we'll get back to this).

4. EVGA 850 or 1kW PSU. I see many people have Corsairs, I was glad to see you opted for EVGA, I just got a 750 one and I like it.

As for the budget, I am more concerned about my money that I will be spending on add-ons, ton of money to be "drained"...

And I collect 1/400 diecast models, seriously.

And finally I will be disappointed a year from now when a new socket/CPU platform will start its new life, $2000 down the drain ))))

Even though this won't leave me hungry without a piece of bread on the table but I prefer money accumulation, not stay at a constant level. Life is such.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...what's the difference between "3-GP" and "5-GP"?...

LED Fan Color. RC-932-KKN3-GP has Blue LEDs, RC-932-KKN5-GP has Red.

My favorite High-End PSU, PC Power & Cooling's 950w(PPCMK2S950) is no longer stocked.

Actually, for single HP GPU use, 750w is more than sufficient, but, a little more is nice.

To address cooling:

The 932's huge fans are indeed quiet.

My 6 fan 360mm h2o unit in top(intake), 140mm rear(exhaust), 1 x 230mm front(exhaust), and 1 x 230mm side(intake), maintains a tad of positive pressure.

Regardless of CPU cooling method, top fan(s) oriented as intakes, blow across the mobo aiding in cooling of the VRMs and RAM. Big plus...

The CORSAIR H110 is a closed loop(zero maintenance) h2o system. It replaces the stock cooler. The radiator @ 140 x 312 x 54mm(2 x 140mm fans), will mount in the top of the 932 with minor mods. It fits good, but, the case doesn't have the 2 x 140mm fan screw hole locations. Add 'em, or, make a bracket to adapt to the 230mm fan locations!

It will also fit with 4 fans in push/pull.

The H100/H100i, with somewhat less cooling capabilities, fit the 932 without mods.

The rig in my sig was tested with 240mm(4 x 120mm fans, push/pull) and 280mm(4 x 140mm fans, push/pull) radiators before I finally went with a 360mm(6 x 120mm fans, push/pull).

The top of the case to the edge of the mobo allows up to a 45mm thick rad(tested) with 25mm thick fans in push pull(95mm total stackup) with a little room to spare.

120mm wide radiators longer than 325mm(~12 3/4in) will fit, but, block the top 5 1/4in Drive bay(s).

140 mm rads longer than 325mm(~12 3/4in) will NOT fit without hefty surgery.

To use them, you would have to cut out a portion of the 5 1/4in Drive cage.

Extreme CPU cooling capability can allow more OC headroom, and/or, lets you run your fans at a much lower(quieter) speed.

As for i5 vs I7, the i7-4790K is stock @ 4.0GHz. 15% faster, out of the box than the i5-4690K's 3.5GHz. That 0.5GHz head start should give it a higher max, 24/7, OC capability.

I selected the ASRock Z97 OC Formula for only 1 reason: the M2 slot supports Samsung's 512GB XP941-512G (MZHPU512HCGL) M2 Drive @ PCIe x4 natively. Most Z97 mobos are PCIe x2 max. The XP941 PCIe x4, has R/W throughput that rivals a good SSD pair in RAID0.

The ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark1 or Mark2 are also well respected Z97 boards.

There are plenty of other top performing Z97 mobos in that price range.

Homework!

BTW: "Wishlist" does not equate to gonna build!

My budget G3258, or X99, systems are still viable possibilities. X99 is leading!...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Don do I still need a CPU liquid cooler if I don't plan to overclock? That's why I was surprised you had this in your specs, the case is well ventilated as is.

If I am to order this, this will be order after the system is built, and I prefer H100i without mods, unless you post pictures of your modes for H110 so I can take the final decisions but this it the last item to worry about. All I wanna know now is whether I need it or not if I'm not overclocking. In this case do you recommend a stock heatsink or a custom aircooled?

Right now I have a custom copper-finned heatsink with 120mm fan recommended by Noell 6-7 years ago (I was guided by Noel and Loki when I built my system in 2007/8, and by the same guys in 2005. It is my third system we are discussing being guided via flightsim.com forum, fs.com Mk.3).

ok so this will be our last item we'll get to after the system is completed.

Regarding the positive pressure (not the last item at all), confirm please because I always believed negative is recommended. Positive is static, the air is there, not moving and accumulating heat. Negative is dynamic, in and out, carrying the heat away and out.

....................................................................................................................

I will be getting i7 because it is 4GHz and because I multitask, go on internet and watch youtube while in cruise. Heck with it let's party, we don't live 1000 years.

....................................................................................................................

Motherboard, I want Asus, always had Asus and want to stay with it :-)

solid as a T-34 tank.

I see some SATA-3 boards being more expensive than SATA-6 boards. This is confusing.

Some homework I did taught me a SATA-6 is worthless unless using Samsung SSD which I absolutely want, I have 250GB at work and it is so awesome I love it, it's fast.

250GB is a waste of money for FS system, I need 500 or 750, the MoBo must be able to support it (the 750) thus we have to look at Asus board supporting 750GB SSD.

I thought Maximus VII was the coolest (by its looks) but I need some input from you, MoBo was always the most confusing subject for me. I didn't even know it takes a specific board to support 500+ GB SSD, please help.

Another thing you mentioned is multiple videocards, do we need 2 for FSX?

I know it draws power from CPU but one thing that was butt-irritating to me is texture drawing at the distance: below you the scenery looked good, but ahead of you it looked blurry and I couldn't take it. Does a modern card have that problem under control? Or does it take two?

........................................................................................................

The Stock cooler will even support a minor overclock.

The i7 is definately a wise decision.

With a stock/basic CPU cooler the HAF 932 Advanced case is overkill.

The HAF 922 mimics the 932's cooling arraingment but eliminates the added h2o cooling space at the top. It's about 2 1/4 inches shorter. @ $99.99, it's also $30 cheaper.

Yep! Excessive positive pressure can cause stagnation.

Minor positive pressure helps keep the dust out.

You can filter fans, but, you can't easily seal all of the cases seams.

And...Cleaner is cooler too.

SATA III(6G/s) is only a port spec. AFAIK, There is no drive size limit, other than Windows.

Multiple videocards? NOT! Crossfire/SLI do not scale well for FSX.

Only recommended when a single top end card can't support extreme resolutions.

The major components in my "Wishlist" were specifically selected to aid a Max OC.

Without overclocking just about any Z97 mobo and DDR3-1600(cas 9) RAM will do.

Just get a motherboard with all of the connections you require.

IMO, the overclocking naysayers tried it, got carried away, and blew it.

Disappointed, they blame overclocking in general.

Other folks read thier BS, believe it, and spread the word.

FYI: I've overclocked every system I've built in the last 15 years.

I follow my own 2 rules.

1) Minimize Voltage increases. Add it ONE tick, and ONLY ONE tick, at a time and test.

2) Keep temperature in check. Monitor stringently during OC setup

Balancing higher Vcore with max 100% load temps in the low 80C range takes time.

My rig runs @ 4.875GHz 24/7/365, with excursions over 5GHz for testing. 2 years now.

My previous FS rig was built in 2007, runs an OC today...24/7/365...Going on 8 years.

My next machine will also be overclocked to the edge of stability and temp.

Then, like the rest of them, back off a tad for 24/7/365 ops.

There are a multitude of folks here that won't run FS without an OC in place...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

Thank you Don, we cleared so many major (conceptual) questions, what's remaining is few minor questions on components and that is it. I'm still worrying however because I still see horrifying reports: one guy says he has 10 fps over FlyTampa's Copenhagen, the other says he has 15 after all possible tweaking, all with i7...

It is understood I will have no problem flying some Piper twin over Alaskan bushes but my primary use of sim is the commercial aircraft software flying to/from airports like that FlyTampa Copenhagen.

............................................................................................................................

I have a question about FSX while on discussion, it will sound surprising but what version do I need?

I tried it once when it came out and never had an interest in it ever since, flying FS9 till 2011. I'm not going back to FS9 because that subject has fully exhausted itself. FSX however I know little about and I can't even find my CD. Is FSX-Gold edition being final with all the service packs?

Any highly detailed add-on has the potential to bring even the best system to it's knees.

Default FSX with max settings can do the same.

A well balanced FSX system will not have everything maxed. Not even close.

Depending on where, and what, I'm flying, I adjust my settings to accomodate the flight.

........................................................................................................................

FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2 installed is the minimum available.

FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 installed is OK.

FSX Gold Edition contains 3 disks. That is the version I recommend.

Disks 1 & 2 comprise FSX Deluxe and Disk 3 is the Acceleration Expansion Pack.

If the Acceleration Expansion Pack is installed, SP1 and SP2 are not necessary.

Many folks poo-poo Acceleration, but, frankly, myself and many others would not be without it. More and more add-ons require it these days.

........................................................................................................................

If you are using Windows Vista/7/8, I strongly suggest installing FSX outside of the default C:\Program Files(x86) location. I use D:\FSX(SSD). Create the folder where you want it.

That will eliminate the permission issues related to the protected system folder: C:\Program Files(x86)

Install FSX...Run it for a minute and exit...(If not using an SSD, defrag)...reboot.

Install SP1(or Acceleration)...Run it for a minute and exit...(If not using an SSD, defrag)...reboot.

Install SP2(not with Acceleration)...Run it for a minute and exit...(If not using an SSD, defrag)...reboot.

Once completely installed, make a copy of your entire FSX folder. Put that copy elsewhere.

That will insure that you will have a virgin backup set of files.

Some add-on installers replace them without notifying you first. :mad:

I returned the borrowed GTX 780 and DDR3-2400 yesterday.

The performance improvement over my DDR3-1600 and HD7970 was impressive enough that I ordered lower latency DDR3-2400, cas 10, vs the borrowed cas 11, and an EVGA GTX 970 FTW today.

If the better memory allows a higher, stable, overclock, I may be able to live with this system for a few more years. Otherwise it may be an X99 upgrade for Xmas...Don

Don, we are having a problem, Windows 7 is no longer available in stores, and newegg.com has the OEM version only. Where do you get a retailed version of Windows 7 Pro these days?

A year/two from now there will be another motherboard change to a new CPU and Windows-OEM is a waste of money (unless it was sold for $25 then I wouldn't mind).

Same thing is with FSX, it is sold out. I see many new sealed versions on ebay sold from Europe (Germany, France...) but I'm afraid it is their native version, I want a US one. I'm skeptical to buy it even from UK unless it is absolutely equal to US version, is it?

Another one I found offerered by US seller shipping from Japan, go figure what it is...

.....................................................................................................................

Doing homework on Memory...

ok, Memory.

Most say cas matters little (some one mentioned the lower is better, comparing 9 to 11).

However, it is cheaper and is lower speed - 1600.

I assume I must go to cas 11 DDR3-2400, better overclocking option as you noted.

ok finalizing:

a) it is 8-GB (2x 4GB), I assume I need not more, do I?

FSX and internet and utube at once, this is the use of the PC. Please confirm.

b) it is DDR-3 2400, cas 11.

See, 16-GB of 2400 cas 11 costs less than 8-GB 2800 cas 12 and here is where I need to be advised.

People say there isn't much difference in cas, so 16-GB of lesser speed makes more sense (if I need it). The cost difference between 8 and 16 is only $50, but what 16-GB will do for me other than generate more heat inside the case?

c) I am considering either Corsair or Mushkin.

My present system has Mushkin RAM as recommended here by Noell, it seemed to be popular then. What name do we consider today?

Do you need the Pro version of Windows 7?

There are a few GOUGERS out there that have it, but, you could buy a 3-Pack of OEM for less than some of those turds are asking. http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-Old-Version/dp/B002DHLVII/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1415811389&sr=1-1&keywords=fqc-00129

If you are not going to install more than 16GB of RAM and don't need these 3 functions, the Home Premium Retail version is good enough.

1) Run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode.

2) Connect to company networks easily and more securely with Domain Join.

3) In addition to full-system Backup and Restore found in all editions, you can back up to a home or business network.

The Home Premium Retail version is still available. $189.98

http://www.discountmountainsoftware.com/miwi7hoprreb.html

The Ultimate Retail "Upgrade" version is available also. $244.97

http://www.discountmountainsoftware.com/miwi7ulup.html

FSX Gold boxed is still listed @ $32.99 here: http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd170!0,6922783950,72015

Don't let the gougers get $50 more than that out of you...

With FSXA, 6 other apps, and Iexp9(10 tabs, 1 is YouTube) my max RAM usage is less than 6GB.

8GB will work, but, 16GB allows a minimum page file and could assist in max performance.

Lower CAS, Column Address Strobe, can help with performance.

With the same DDR3 speed 1 tick less probably won't be visible unless you are benchmarking.

In my experience 2 ticks is noticeable.

It's tough to compare RAM at different speeds.

DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2T should be as good as, if not better than DDR3-1866 10-12-12-30, 2T.

DDR3-2400 9-11-11-31-2T has the potential to be 15-20% better with an overclock.

From an FSXMark11 post over at Avsim DDR3 2400 (9-11-11-31-1T) gave 2 FPS min more, 4 FPS max more, and 5 FPS ave vs DDR3 1600 (9-11-11-31-1T). The rest of the system remained the same.

Fast RAM is definately a help. Behind a hefty overclock, that is.

I am considering either Corsair or Mushkin.

I've had great luck with both of those mfgs.

I also use G.Skill on top-end builds. Their high speed, low latency, XMP stuff, usually hits the advertised spec without additional tweaking.

Your motherboard's memory compatibility list(QVL) is the first place to look. Though it is not an exhaustive list of what will work, you can be virtually guaranteed a selection from that list is gonna be OK.

Unfortunately many QVLs don't list Mushkin. Mushkins Tech folks can usually help.

Ask them about using these with your selected motherboard:

Mushkin DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28 8GB (2x4GB) Redline 997083F

http://poweredbymushkin.com/index.php/catalog/item/5-redline/1013-997083f.html

Mushkin DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28 16GB (2x4GB) Redline 994083F

http://poweredbymushkin.com/index.php/catalog/item/5-redline/1014-994083f.html

Thanks, great advice on FSX! )))

Don, what about Windows 8? It's cheaper and less of a pain to buy )))

Most add-on products are made for Win 7, that's why I was looking to that, also knowing it is patched as any older generation of Windows. What do you say? FSX in mind of course.

I will buy 7 if indeed it is best recommended for FSX products.

..........................................................................................................

last question on memory before we go to video cards, what do you think about these by Corsair:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%2050001459%20600006050%20600006069%20600006145&IsNodeId=1

note the red Vengeance is what newegg is advertising on front page.

I checked out Win 8 when it was in Beta. I didn't like the interface, so, I never explored it any further. Like any new platform, it had some teething pains. There seems to be quite a few folks here using Win 8. Should you decide to go that way, there will be folks to help.

Memory selection is tertiary. Mobo and CPU 1st. Once your mobo is selected, then the memory search begins. Start with the motherboard's QVL(memory support list).

Your motherboard's memory compatibility list(QVL) is the first place to look. Though it is not an exhaustive list of what will work, you can be virtually guaranteed a selection from that list is gonna be OK.

Some memory mfgs offer specific fitment help online.

G.Skill: http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator

Mushkin: http://poweredbymushkin.com/index.php/support/support.html e-mail & Phone

Corsair:http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory-finder NO Z97 variants listed. :(

Those are the ones I keep in "Favorites"...Don

It will be Asus Maximus, Z97 with 2400 RAM support (Sabretooth does not).

Probably a Maximus VII-Formula:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%2050001315%20600504426&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel%209%20Series

or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132264

both are 7-Formulas and have nearly same specs but the cost is different, can't see why.

You see this is why I do MoBo last, after other components are figured. Reason is 1 week ago I had no clue about all this (modern RAM, CPU... nothing). We talk, then I do the homework (best to learn with a teacher then by yourself). There are still components I don't know about: video card and SSD. Once we cover these, I will fully understand the subject and will be able to see a difference in two almost-same Mother boards with a different cost.

Hard Drive:

Samsiung 840 SSD 500GB where FSX is to be installed, I see "EVO" is most preferred.

This one for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249

here is a similar one but but costs $120 more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6DH23T8708

same thing, see no difference. They say it is of "highest quality"...

And this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147255

same price as the first, but a "MEX" vs a "3-core MEX", whatever that is.

All of the components plug into the mobo. That's why it's best to select it for the connectivity, and features you want, first.

These days you can grab standard GPUs, SSDs, and other ancillary stuff and expect them to work out of the box. Not so with RAM and new technologies.

The PSU you select may not have all of the Power connections/capability that the mobo requires. Unless you select the mobo 1st, you won't know.

Case in point:

MAXIMUS VII HERO power:

1 x 24-pin EATX power connector

1 x 8-pin EATX 12V power connector

MAXIMUS VII FORMULA power:

1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector

1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector

1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector

The MAXIMUS VII FORMULA adds:

Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Connectivity for future SATA Express drives.

It is armored.

Added layer of copper to assist in cooling. "CrossChill Copper – Air or liquid – it’s cooler with copper"

1 x mini-PCIe 2.0 x1

A few other features that will benefit an overclocking enthusiast.

$100 worth? To me? Yes, but, if you don't need/want it don't buy it.

According to the Sabertooth's Memory QVL, it can use up to DDR3-3200

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/SABERTOOTH_Z97_MARK1/SABERTOOTH_Z97_Series_memory_QVL.pdf

G.Skill lists up to DDR3-2400.

Will the Sabertooth go to those speeds? No...1866 max...Not even XMP....Go figure...Don

Hard Drive:

Samsiung 840 SSD 500GB where FSX is to be installed, I see "EVO" is most preferred.

This one for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249

here is a similar one but but costs $120 more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6DH23T8708

same thing, see no difference. They say it is of "highest quality"....

Two different suppliers! They are the exact same SSD.

1 Sold and Shipped by: newegg, 1 Sold and Shipped by: qianyu

...And this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147255

same price as the first, but a "MEX" vs a "3-core MEX", whatever that is.

Again same SSD. This one, for an extra $10, is a Notebook Bundle Kit.

Useless for your Desktop project.

Many of us use a 120GB(+) SSD for Windows, another 120GB(+) SSD for FS/9/X/P3D only, and large by huge mechanical drives for apps that don't need SSD speed, and for Data Storage / Backup.

I have FS/9/X/P3D all installed to my 840 Pro 512GB. With all of my sims and add-ons it's using 330GB, so, you'll want to consider that. Add-on Aircraft can be installed to a mechanical drive without a big performance penalty(they only load once), but, gauge, scenery and texture loading will want to be on the SSD. I tried putting my AI on a mechanical drive, but, when they spawned, it slowed it down, creating a small but noticeable stutter...Don

Thank's Don, this is exactly what I needed to know about SSD's and drive configs.

I imagine by now you probably had enough of this thread, it's taking your time and you are getting tired of it... but it's so useful it has to be a guideline pinned to the front page of the forum (although turns outdated within some amount of time). This is how it has always been with me before, 6 or 8 pages of discussion before I was ready to order. If you have a paypal I could probably drop $50 on your account for your help (yes I do realize it is worth more than that! -)))

...................................................................................................................

>>$100 worth? To me? Yes, but, if you don't need/want it don't buy it.

Yes I want it, I don't want to save $100 today to loose several times x $100 in the future, we learned this lesson many times throughout the course of life. Good news newegg gave me a 10% coupon off total due to black November.

The reason I went for Maximus rather than the popular Sabertooth is because Maximus is both Z97 and is DDR3-2400. So, what else can I get... there are cooler moBos still, but I'm sure I don't need a $500 MoBo, Maximus VII Formula is good enough for me, with a possibility to expand.

As for the PSU, I know my 750 I just got may be undersized (but I need it anyway, my current PC will find a secondary use), and I'll get myself either an 850 or 1kW. Is 850 Enough for Maximus 7 Formula?

......................................................................................................................

Almost there now...

Just did some more reading and decided to go with Samsung Pro, they say it's better despite the popularity of EVO.

Every little detail... :-)

And a Vid card will be same as yours, GTX 970FTW,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%2050001402%20600536049&IsNodeId=1

Researched on my own and it seems like I do not need a 980 card.

I do need that awfully expensive mobo because that's one component I don't want to touch nevermind replace, other components have to make sense.

My only concern is the texture and autogen generation at some distance ahead, I don't want the blurriness and will get a card that will take care of this problem.

850w is plenty for a single GPU system.

The EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80 PLUS GOLD, Modular Power Supply, 220-G2-0850-XR, PSU that I noted earlier, does have all of the connectivity you need:

1 x 24 Pin ATX, 2 x 4 + 4 Pin EPS12V.

1 of the 4 + 4 Pin EPS12V connectors make an 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector and the other will provide your 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector, with a 4-pin left over.

Consider Samsung's 850 Pro SSDs too.

They are even faster yet, and...drum roll...come with a 10 year warranty...Don

>Consider Samsung's 850 Pro SSDs too.

Yes indeed, it lasts longer I found out.

Windows 8 no good for PMDG and that's the only thing on my mind right now, the 737NGX, 777 and Airbus X.

Let's discuss a Video card a little more and that will be finally it.

Also a sound card. I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi which I have no problem keeping, will it do?

I watched utube videos about the liquid cooling, it's a neat looking thing but the reviews at newegg left me skeptical: mounting issues, fans are loud, pumps fail, the software is poor, and the funniest is (and I saw 2 reviews with this) two guys had hoses detached and the liquid killed the hardware.

I'm not completely discarding of the idea but please offer me a good air-cooled (heatsink) alternative. Simple works best.

One thing for sure is I need a good cooling because it will take OC to fly FSX.

Question is, should I decide to switch to liquid cooling, would I have to remove the entire motherboard to attach a special bracket to back of MoBo?

Would a Corsair cx600 support the following:

- I7 4790K

- MSI N770 2GD5/OC GPU

- 2 x 120GB SSD

- 4x4GB DDR3 1600

Thanks

As per discussion here in this thread, 600 is too little.

Don I'm ready to proceed, please a little more of your time (and other people with experience)

Finalizing:

1) 4GHz i7-4790K for overclocking (v) - checked.

2) EVGA GTX-970 ...78KR (v)

3) Samsung 850 Pro 515GB where FSX to be installed. (v)

4) Asus Maximus VII Formula board (v)

5) EVGA 880W PSU, not sure if I need a full modular SuperNova, the power cables for mobo and CPU are there to be anyway. Will think, but this is checked (v)

6) 16-GB (2 x 8) DDR3-2400, G.SKILL Trident X 9 CAS (v)

7) CM HAF-932 ...3-GP tower case (or Storm Trooper, or 935 Stacker, they are all cool, any comments on pros/cons for our purpose?)

8) Corsair H100i liquid cooler, but need a good air-cooler alternative for 1150 (no clue).

9) Windows I can't make up my mind between 7-Home Retail from the store you pointed to, or 7-Pro OEM from Newegg, chipper and easier, and it's Pro.

By the time I need to replace a mobo I'll buy another OEM or move to Win 8.

This is what we have to go over - 6 thru 9.

I use the CM Hyper 212 EVO with 2 fans in a push-pull arrangement. Works well for any moderate overclock. Just be aware that it's a very large heatsink and it might cause clearance issues for the 1st couple of memory slots if using high profile RAM sticks as well as some cases. Regards
I7 3770K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus Z77pro, NVIDIA 670FTW, 2 Samsung 840 pro 256 Gb, 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 Mhz . Corsair 850W modular

Got it. Yeah, a dilemma... right now I have a big heatsink and it is indeed a pain in the neck getting around in, it kills too mush space. This is when a liquid cooling is a good thing.

I also noticed the sandwich type coolers, cool but too big and heavy.

As per discussion here in this thread, 600 is too little.

You keep saying that.

The TDP on the 770 is 230W, and around another 110 tops for the CPU. The SSDs consume single digits at load, as does the RAM. Chipset might be another dozen or so watts. Even assuming some inefficiencies in the PSU, your total draw isn't likely to get close to 400W.

What's with the desire for monstrous power supplies? I run a 550W Seasonic with a 4770K, 32GB, 2x 840 EVO and a 760 without issue. I should run it through my Kill-A-Watt to see what the draw at the wall is.

Cheers!

Luke

dunno, when you read specs for the video cards on newegg, it tells you the required power which is 500+ for GTX 970 cards. I'm not the one to clarify, I am only learning ))

I have a problem with my future system, the Asus Z97 Formula/Hero boards have too many bad reviews, too many of them are defective. Although I haven't seen any negative comments outside newegg... I think I will go with what Don selected for himself - ASRock OC Formula, people like it.

ok deal done parts ordered.

EVGA 970 FTW is sold out, will call them tomorrow to see what's the problem there and how long it will take to renew the stock (annoying it was!!)

The cooler is CM 212 EVO, for the start. Will be checking H100i eventually.

The case is HAF X rather than HAF 932, due to dust filters mainly.

The RAM is G.Skill Trident X cas 10 because no cas 9 available in 2x8GB config, only 2x4.

Otherwise the rest is per above.

With Arctic pastes, cleaners and all that, it got me to $1600 something, will be $2K with a vid. card.

Archived