FSX low performance with new PC

Yes MBKHOU I got these values after reset from BIOS setting AUTO

In the AI suite benchmarking said 4.1 MHZ

Hi raulfernando,

I guess the bottom line here (all these CPU-Z screenshots not withstanding ;)) is, how is your FSX performance now?

Has it improved? Are you happy with how it's running?

Again, if you're still not getting any improvement please outline what you've done step-by-step to get into the BIOS, what you changed, and what you did with AIsuite. See post #41 :D

Also see post #35 by Mark Hurst - he's has a good point - I believe you need to get your computer settings back to "stock" or original/default with respect to CPU and GPU. We need to get you back to square one, see how FSX is running at those settings and go from there. We need to eliminate as many variables as possible in order to TRY to diagnose what is really going on. As none of us are actually physically able to get in front of your computer and look for ourselves, and trying to diagnose computer problems via forum requires us knowing what is going on and you providing us the correct info. That way, we can hopefully figure out which questions to ask - that is the real challenge here IMHO.

It looks like we have a lot of knowledgeable people here reading and willing to contribute ideas to get you to where you should be with your computer - someone should be able to point out exactly what you may need to do, or post links/resources to help you out. Like razbdaz's link to NickN's post - now there is someone who knows about FSX! He is referred to frequently in many other FSX forums.

Either way, please keep us informed - this thread may help many others out there, whether they have come across a similar situation, to teach what not to do or what may be something worth trying. We/I/you would love to see resolution on this - there have been over 1400 views of this thread... :cool:

Now, not to highjack the thread, but while we are waiting for raulfernando's response...

daryl737,

"The thread made me think of the bad old days of overclocking when it was more or a art than the simple process it is today. Oh the intoxicating smells of over heating CPUs and motherboards, Oh the adrenaline rush you got from knowing that at any minute something could go bang. Oh the complete look of glee on the persons face behind the counter at the local computer parts store as you walked in, wallet in hand needing a new something because you've just blown it up. Good times, good times."

I heard that! :D The rush of entering new settings in the BIOS, waiting to see if the computer will even boot, then if you get to the loading screen, seeing if you were able to hit that new high overclock, then - will I get the BSOD during stress-testing? Will my game/program/benchmark performance (remember "Mad Onion?") have a noticeable increase? The open case (or caseless as the "case" may be -sorry, couldn't keep the pun out), the sound of many fans, turning up the A/C, the groans, cursing, the hair-pulling... The joy of achieving a new high overclock and benchmark score... Good times, good times indeed! :cool:

razbdaz,

"Not to offend anyone but, E-Buzz has posted a very simple solution to correct a common problem with people OC'ing when they get in way over their heads. Gunning for a 4.5 ghz machine with a I5 is wishful thinking."

Thanks for the comment :cool:

With the (newer) i5 Devil's Canyon CPU's, while it's always the "bin lottery" which can play a major role in how high you can overclock, for the "K" chips, 4.5 - 4.8 seems to be what can be commonly reached with "conventional" (air, AIO H20) cooling methods. I heard there's a screenshot somewhere of someone who got to something like 5.6 with liquid nitrogen, and then only ran it long enough for that screenshot. I'm sure there are many others out there that may have achieved close, as good, or better. At the moment, I can't get past 4.9 - can sometimes get to the Windows screen, but it doesn't last - a few seconds, and BAM - BSOD (although I see it's a much different version of the old BSOD in Win 8)! I can get 4.8, but run at 4.7 everyday.

Again, I do not advocate overclocking if you're not prepared and don't understand (and accept) all the possible bad, horrible, expensive consequences that may occur. :p

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 16 multiplier is the low load setting for a chip with turbo boost. Put a load on it and see it change to 35

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

• 3 months later...

Sorry this time off, I gave up

please see as my pc is working

I did all your sugestion I reinstalled fsx from cero

And I still having some low fps

Processor (CPU)

CPU Name Intel® Core™ i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Threading 1 CPU - 4 Core - 4 Thread

Frequency 806.97 MHz (8 * 100.87 MHz) - Uncore: 807 MHz

Multiplier Current: 8 / Min: 8 / Max: 43

Architecture Haswell / C0-Step (22 nm)

Cpuid / Ext. 6.C.3 / 6.3C

IA Extensions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3, TSX

Caches L1D : 32 KB / L2 : 256 KB / L3 : 6144 KB

Caches Assoc. L1D : 8-way / L2 : 8-way / L3 : 12-way

Microcode Rev. 0x0000012

TDP / Vcore 88 Watts / 0.576 Volts

Type Retail (Original Frequency : 3500 MHz)

Motherboard

Model Asus MAXIMUS VI EXTREME

Socket Socket 1150 LGA

North Bridge Intel Haswell rev 06

South Bridge Intel Z87 rev C2

BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 1402 (01/28/2014)

Memory (RAM)

Total Size 16384 MB

Type Dual Channel (128 bit) DDR3-SDRAM

Frequency 807 MHz - Ratio 1:6

Timings 10-10-10-27-2 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCR)

Slot #1 Module Corsair 8192 MB (DDR3-1600) - XMP 1.3

Slot #2 Module Corsair 8192 MB (DDR3-1600) - XMP 1.3

Graphic Card (GPU)

GPU #1 Type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 @ 540 MHz

GPU #1 Brand EVGA Corp.

VRAM #1 Type 2048 MB @ 3505 MHz

DirectX 11.0

Storage (HDD/SSD)

Model #1 Western Digital WDC WD5000AVVS-63ZWB

Capacity #1 500 GB

Display

Screen #1 V32S (BNQ6775)

Screen #1 Spec 31.5 inches (80 cm) / 1280 x 720 pixels @ 48-77 Hz

Miscellaneous

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition 64-bit

Windows Subver. Service Pack 1 (Build 7601

CPU-Z Version 1.74.0 (64 bit)

screenshot 1.png

Good, so fsx runs wihout error now, and your cpu-z display looks ok.

It does seem you took this snapshot of CPU-z when the computer was at idle, correct? FSX wasn't running at the time it seems, because the multiplier of the processor had lowered all the way down to 8x.

The multiplier should be at 4x1 when fsx is running. (41 x 100Mhz = 4.1Ghz)

Against low framerates, set the settings lower in your fsx-settings-display menu. Don't set everything to unlimited, but start low, and slowly increase, testing every time.

You mentioned headache early in the thread. De-select DX10 preview mode in fsx-settings-display. It doesn't work, and runway textures will flicker and give you a headache with dx10 on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived