FSX low performance with new PC

People

I know many of you have written about the title this post, so far I havent found the solution in the post I have read. Please any of you may support me I would be thanked.

MY PC IS

I5 - 4690 K

GPU - EVGA GTX 960

16 RAM Vengeance corsair

Mother board Asus Maximus Extreme VI

Hidro fan cooler HI 100

Monitor is a LCD tv 1980 1020 32 or more

The following address is how is working all the components

http://valid.canardpc.com/92iit6

I tweaked with bojote venetubo, I had used nvidia inspector to reconfigure GPU.

All the settings in FSX are 100%

What I am getting

5 FPS - DC 9 coolsky in virtual cockpit

10 FPS - view cycle outside

And a terrible headache and crazyness almost

Please any may help me

R

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi raulfernando,

Welcome to the forums!

In your link, it shows that you seem to have severely UNDERCLOCKED your CPU.

Your CPU is running way below it's stock clock - it's running a less than 1 Ghz.

That is probably why your FPS is so slow.

You need to increase your CPU multiplier to 35 and lower your Bus speed to 100. That should get your CPU frequency to 3.5 gHz, which is the stock speed.

Start there first and see how your FPS is.

You can do this in the BIOS or via a software program that most likely came with your motherboard.

Let us know how this works out.

Good luck,

E-Buzz:pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

I had used nvidia inspector to reconfigure GPU.

All the settings in FSX are 100%

Settings at 100% is never going to work. Why did you install Nvidia Inspector, and what settings have you used? By far the most likely problem is you have set your anti-aliasing up incorrectly.

Forget Bojote and Inspector for now, you're just going to make things worse. And don't start fiddling with over-clocking! The idle clock rate shown by CPU-Z means nothing.

My advice is to start again. Don't use Nvidia Inspector. Delete fsx.cfg. then make sure you have water at low 2.x, no light bloom, no lens flare, no ground shadows, no traffic and both scenery and autogen sliders set in the middle. Turn off anti-aliasing in FSX. All this will give you a sense of your raw performance. If you're still getting 5fps, something else is wrong. If not, you can build from there.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

You need to increase your CPU multiplier to 35 and lower your Bus speed to 100. That should get your CPU frequency to 3.5 gHz, which is the stock speed.

Start there first and see how your FPS is.

You can do this in the BIOS or via a software program that most likely came with your motherboard.

Let us know how this works out.

With respect, this is really irresponsible advice.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I'm not so sure of that. 100 mhz is the normal bus speed for that chip. I'm surprised

he's even able to run it with a 125 mhz bus without having some kind of vapor lock.

It is presently set for 36 as the multiplier. So he's set for 4.5 ghz at that bus speed.

But seems to me the normal way to OC that to 4.5 ghz would be to use the 100 mhz

bus speed, and a multiplier of 45. E-buzz does have the same CPU, so seems to me

he's probably correct about the 100 mhz bus being the normal value. My 4790 uses the

same 100 mhz bus speed.

I'm assuming the OP's chip is clocking up once under load, but that high bus speed

may be causing issues. Maybe some other 4690k owners can chime in..

I'd start over with default BIOS settings and stock clock and see what happens.

If better, then he could try the OC again maybe using the usual bus speed.

Yeah like Mark Hurst said, forget Bojote and NV inspector.

There's a truckload of ingame settings options which you can manually juggle to get FSX working smoothly, so don't even think of doing any techy tweaking or anything else til you've tried them.

Remember Armstrong manually landed the Eagle..:)

MarkH

I'm not so sure of that...

I agree with E-Buzz and MBKHOU 100%

edit: Well, I'm not 100% sure what the settings in BIOS are that you should use. I didn't look into it that much. But the settings you have now, 8x125, are definitly the wrong settings.

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

To be clear, I did not suggest any over clocking above the CPU's stock speed that is indicated in the link posted.

If you look at what is posted in the link-

At the very top, it reads "Intel Core i5 4690K @ 1000MHz."

That is the first clue.

The stock clock speed for that CPU is 3500 MHz, or 3.5 GHz.

If you look at the left-hand pane, the frequency indicated in red is 999.98 MHz (8 * 125 MHz).

8 = the multiplier, 125 = the Bus speed. Multiplier * (times) Bus speed is what gives you the CPU speed, so 8 * 125MHz = 1000MHz. The stock speed for that CPU is 3500 MHz, or 3.5 GHz.

If you look at the right-hand pane, under "Clocks (Core #0), down next to "Core Speed" it reads "999.98 MHz."

"Core Speed" = Clock speed = CPU speed.

The CPU in question is running at 999.98 MHz, and the stock speed for that CPU is 3500 MHz.

Below "Core Speed" we have a box called "Multiplier," and it reads "x 8.0 (8 - 36)."

This tells us that the CPU multiplier is currently set to 8, but can be adjusted up to 36.

Below that box is the "Bus Speed" which reads 125. This tells us that the Bus speed is currently set to 125.

So, multiplier * Bus speed = CPU speed.

8*125=1000=1GHz.

The stock speed for that CPU is 3500MHz or 3.5 GHz.

Its not running anywhere near stock speed, which is the most likely reason for the very low frame rates.

I suggested the lower Bus speed (100 is stock, or default) because at 125 you are over clocking other components in the motherboard, such as the ram.

MBKHOU's suggestion to load up the default settings in the BIOS is the correct way to get the CPU back to the stock clock (3500 MHz).

That is, unless the defaults were changed, but I don't know how that would happen.

So, I respectfully disagree that I advised any type of overclocking. In fact, I suggested setting the CPU back to stock and removing the Bus speed over clock.

FSX frame rates should improve.

But this is only the first logical step. The fine-tuning needs to come after.

FSX is mostly about CPU speed. Without a descent speed....

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

I fully expected you had thought this through!:)

I'm just not really up to speed with the current chips. Mine is a 3570k. I know all about that one, And when I bought it I knew the other available ones as well.

I just need the storage space in my head for other stuff at the moment.

(I could do with a nice hardware upgrade in that department up there:), a nice Cranial 512Gb SSd and a 2Tb SShd for example.:) )

I feel safe leaving him in your hands.

Regards,

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

E-Buzz is right-on here. Things are just plain wrong. Also, the Core Voltage is WAY too high. That's the kind of value (1.296) I'd expect to see on a 4.5+Ghz OC. Something on the order on 1.17-1.18 would be closer to a reasonable default. As E-Buzz said, the first thing to do is get everything back to the default values.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Thx for all this comments and argues, I am really thanked

But, please you are giving advices in high techs terms to my understanding and of course in english

Would you mind if one you gave me step by step procedures to get the 3.5 Mhz. Asus brougt a AI software to overlocker or configure. I moved from 100 mhz to 125 Mhz recently, below the values before changes

http://valid.canardpc.com/c82bgn

I am novice , please do it for dummies jejej

Abrazos

Raul

I am novice , please do it for dummies

Raul,

So the first thing to do is ignore all the advice above about poking around in the BIOS. At best you will make your performance worse, at worst you will destroy your CPU.

If, as it appears, you are using an auto-overclock feature, leave it alone for now. Or set it back to default, it doesn't matter - your PC boots, so the overclocker has given you a viable BIOS setup. You are wasting your time looking here to fix your frame rates until you get FSX under control. Focus on what I posted about your FSX settings.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I fully expected you had thought this through!:)

I feel safe leaving him in your hands.

Regards,

il88pp.

Thanks for the confidence ;)

I do not claim to be any kind of overclocking expert - I just want to try to help others and share examples of my experiences. I want to give back to this forum because those here have helped me in some way get on the road towards the best FSX experience I can have.

As for the underclocking of the CPU in question - here is a possible comparable illustration of what might be happening:

Running that CPU that slow is akin to trying to take off with a 747 at 30 knots.

You can add all the flaps you want, have close to empty tanks, no passengers or cargo, have the longest runway in the world, etc. Maybe that can be equated to adding tweaks.

But at 30 knots, all you will be able to do is run the length of the runway - no way you're getting airborne.

Running the length of the runway at 30 knots is like running FSX at 9-10 FPS.

Taking off and flying is more like 20 FPS and higher.

The only way you're going to take off is more speed.

For that, you need to up the engine power.

But I digress...

raulfernando,

I guess we need to know HOW you were able to change your current CPU/motherboard BIOS settings from the default?

Did you do it via software (ex: AISuite) or did you manually change these settings in the BIOS? Or did someone else - friend, family, computer shop, etc. - do it for you?

A quick suggestion, piggy-backing on MBKHOU's input -

Read the manual that came with the motherboard to find out how to enter the BIOS (usually hitting the "Delete" key while booting) and loading the default settings, sometimes called "Load Optimized Defaults."

After you've set that up, exit the BIOS screen and restart the computer.

Then, run CPU-Z again and post the link again.

After you've done all that, it's possible we can continue to give you more advice if you want it.

Good luck,

Set your BIOS to default. That will bring your CPU to stock speeds
Intel I7 3820 processor @ 4.6 Ghz 8Gig Ram, Asus P9X79 Pro MB, 256Gb Primary SSD drive, 2 TB storage drive, NVidia GeForce GTX-650 Boost GPU,Win7 64 Professional, 2x Dell 24" monitors

raulfernando,

OK, let's see if I can try to make it simple (I hope).

It sounds like you're using AI Suite to change your settings In that program, there should be an option to go back to defaults. Choose that and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, you may try the steps outlined below. But, if you're not comfortable, bring your computer to a really good computer shop and ask them to reset the BIOS settings to default for you. Or, if you happen to know a computer "geek," ask that person to do it for you.

If you decide to try going into the BIOS, here's my disclaimer (to CMA):

Mark Hurst is correct to be careful about mucking around in the BIOS - if you do something wrong, there is a chance you could do something very bad to your computer. If you're at all uncomfortable, seek a local professional. No one here is going to be held liable for you taking and using any advice submitted in these forums.

It is your choice, and your choice alone, to proceed with the next steps.

Remember, you have the choice to seek a local computer professional to diagnose and fix your computer.

If you decide to give the BIOS reset a try, here are some possible steps:

1. Restart your computer.

2. While the computer is restarting, continuously (over and over again) the "Delete" key. That should get you into the BIOS menu.

3. When in the BIOS menu, press the "F5" key to load the optimized default settings. MAKE SURE THE HIGHLIGHTED CHOICE SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT LOADING OPTIMIZED DEFAULT, OR JUST DEFAULT, SETTINGS.

If it says that, then proceed.

4. Press the "F10" key to save and exit. AGAIN, MAKE SURE THE HIGHLIGHTED CHOICE SAYS SOMETHING LIKE "SAVE AND EXIT."

5. The computer will either shut down or restart. If it shuts down, restart the computer.

6. Once restarted and Windows loads, run CPU-Z again and post the link here for all to see.

If that doesn't work, I, or others, may offer more steps for you to choose (or not) to try.

Good luck!

(The now paraniod) E-Buzz :pilot:

So what do you make of this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]181134[/ATTACH]

Hi Mark Hurst,

Not sure what you're asking?

But, if we apply the same logic as my other post:

Capture.JPG

1. This indicates the CPU Core Speed, which in this pic says is 1604.7 MHz, which is about 1.6 GHz.

2. This indicates the CPU multiplier, which in this pic says is 16.

3. This indicates the motherboard's Bus Speed, which is 100.3 MHz.

So, the math says: Multiplier x Bus Speed = CPU Core speed (for the indicated CORE).

16 x 100.3 = 1604.8 (there must be some rounding, hence the difference between 1604.7 and 1604.8, but not to worry about the 0.1 difference - not really significant).

But, like I said, your pic shows Core 0, doesn't mean the other cores are running at that speed - you CAN change the individual core speeds on some motherboards with the BIOS.

Now I do not have that type of CPU, and I can only comment on the pic/info you supplied.

I hope this helps,

So what do you make of this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]181134[/ATTACH]

Given that the stock multiplier should be 34 I'd recommend some further research as to why it's set to 16.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Not sure what you're asking?

No matter, it was a rhetorical question. That's my FSX PC, when it's not running FSX.

Here's what I suggest. Before giving the OP ever-more elaborate ways to fry his computer, ask him to run FSX in a window, run CPU-Z alongside it and post that picture. And while he's doing that, google 'Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology'.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I see now what mark is (not) saying. The info in that screen is not displaying the settings in BIOS.

It is the CURRENT frequency.

I just installed CPUID and the frequency is fluctuating between 1600 (100x16) and 3800 (38x100) on my PC.

As is to be expected. When the processor has nothing to do, it throttles down to save power. (helps it cool down a bit too.)

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thx for all this comments and argues, I am really thanked

But, please you are giving advices in high techs terms to my understanding and of course in english

Would you mind if one you gave me step by step procedures to get the 3.5 Mhz. Asus brougt a AI software to overlocker or configure. I moved from 100 mhz to 125 Mhz recently, below the values before changes

http://valid.canardpc.com/c82bgn

That's more like it. Note the 100 mhz bus. And at that time the chip

was clocked to a maximum of 4.1 ghz. Which I would think is not the default

setting. Usually the turbo speed is 4000 mhz higher than the base speed.

So if that were set to BIOS default, I would expect to see the 100 mhz bus,

and the multiplier showing 8-39, which would top out at 3.9 ghz.

Of course, nothing wrong with running a high multiplier as long as the puter is

stable. You can likely go a good bit higher than that. But I'd get the sim running

fairly normal before I bothered with any of that.

The newer Intel chips use the speed stepping technology, and the multiplier is

variable with the load on the CPU. So while it's say 800 mhz while idle, it should

run close to max when FSX is running. This could be verified by using one of the

CPU monitor programs to check the CPU speeds while FSX is running.

I turned that off with my i7. I found FSX runs slightly better at constant core

speeds, even if the clock is slightly lower than it's max turbo speed using the Intel

speed stepping.

Hi Mark Hurst,

Hadn't thought of that - good tip - thanks! :D

That probably should have been suggested in an earlier post.

I learn something everyday in these forums!

No matter, it was a rhetorical question. That's my FSX PC, when it's not running FSX.

Here's what I suggest. Before giving the OP ever-more elaborate ways to fry his computer, ask him to run FSX in a window, run CPU-Z alongside it and post that picture. And while he's doing that, google 'Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology'.

But it's not the use of the Speedstep tech that is the issue. It's the overly high bus

speed, and also voltage, which I hadn't even noticed until W2DR brought it up, that is

the problem.

That bus speed is way off normal, and could be causing all kinds of problems.

And a higher than needed voltage could eventually overheat the chip, or even

cause a kaput.

Staying the way he was last night was a fairly good path to puter fry mayhem.

After resetting to default, the puter will probably exhale and go, "wheeewww, I

feel so much better now".. ;)

I don't know if that will cure his FSX issues, but it would be the first place to start,

being as the settings are obviously wrong.

Not to offend anyone but, E-Buzz has posted a very simple solution to correct a common problem with people OC'ing when they get in way over their heads. Gunning for a 4.5 ghz machine with a I5 is wishful thinking.

First rule before tweaking is to start off with a stable Operating System and working your way carefully up from there. Incidentally, OC'ing in general will result in minimal FPS increases unless you are really heavy into scenery files and multiple model add ons.

Please, as mentioned, go back and re establish your stock out of the box bios and then re- evaluate your application as it pertains to FSX performance. 3.5 Ghz should work just fine.

Good luck and keep posting, help is out there.:)

FRED B

Intel i7 4770K 3.5Ghz 8MB Quad, Haswell OC to 4.2G, ASUS Z-87 PRO, 8G RAM DDR3 2400, GTX780, 2x120GB SSD, 750W PSU, Corsair Hydro H80, WIN 7 Pro, FSX SP1,2, FSC 8 ,UTX, GEX-EUROPE, REX- Ess

Archived