2nd monitor help

I just setup my new 12.1 LCD VGA output monitor, but having 1 big problem - when i'm in window mode with FSX it works fine but soon as i switch to full screen mode with FSX my second monitor freezes and i cant use Vpilot or TOPCAT or any window thats open on the display, but soon as i come out of full screen its working again?

Windows 7

anyone have this problem with a 2nd monitor

Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-4770k Quad Core (3.50GHz @ max

ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE

16GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)

3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

i cant use Vpilot or TOPCAT or any window thats open on the display, but soon as i come out of full screen its working again?

This is normal behaviour. You cannot run external programs that address the screen in full-screen mode. You are stuck with windowed mode, unless your external programs can run on a separate networked PC.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Damn it !

Just have to toggle in and out for my vpilot.

Another problem i'm having is, if i'm in window mode and click on Vpilot to type something FSX sound stops and its annoying how can i avoid this?

My FSX doesn't pause its the sound that goes.

Also that option is unticked

No way around it then?

I'm using almost the identical NVIDIA GPU to yours on one of my machines. I'm using three monitors and everything works fine. Everyone has their preferences but I prefer the 2D cockpit. Here's what I do, you might want to give it a try.

I set my default flight with the center monitor being the standard 2D cockpit views. (Which I can switch to various modes using the W or S keys just as if I was only using one monitor.)

The center monitor in my setup is my straight ahead, or tunnel vision view. My side views are the left wing view on the left monitor and right wing view on the right. The inside edges of each side monitor view are set to match the outside of the center monitor view. Between the 3 monitors I have a 180*, more or less view of the outside world. Like I remembered from when I was physically allowed to fly.

Even when I'm zooming or looking around in either of the side views the external USB ported flight controls, auto-pilot, etc. still work normally. The big difference when I select a side monitor view is that the sound changes. It's as if you are sitting just outside the plane on that wing. You can still hear ATC, buzzers, flaps, etc. but you have to select the center view to respond to ATC or do something like change your radio frequencies. That process works very well for me and it comes up automatically as my default flight.

I expect that if you used the view mode in this fashion, you'd have similar success with your two monitors.

However using two monitors, I suggest you select the left wing view on your side monitor if you're flying a fixed wing plane. Most standard fixed wing approaches and patterns assume the PIC is in the left seat so they are left turn oriented. Therefore a left wing view should make it much easier to find the runway than the tunnel vision view in either a 2D or 3D cockpit.

You might want to give my concept a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The worst thing that could happen? You decide it doesn't work for you and you try something else.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

No way around it then?

The only way I know of to get around it is to use a second puter and put the addon's there, using simconnect/FSUIPC/WideFS etc.

Losing the sound actually doesnt bother me as I fly online and usually mute FS during cruise so I can hear the other comm's better.

Rupert thanks for that lengthy informative reply :) my 2nd monitor is a 12.1 and used for external programmes like VPILOT so i can reply to ATC etc while i fly, but i don't want to be in window mode and i hate the sound disappearing.

But only way is getting a 2nd PC ?

My 2nd monitor keeps going black?

It was my refresh rate not set right

Archived