boxed fsx vs Steam differences

svpst

I have 94 gig of scenery for the boxed FSX in a separate file on my c: drive. When i download something i put i into the c: file. They i got to FSX, and scenery settings and then to the c: file and FSX adds the scenery. With Steam this doesn't work. I have to add the scenery to the "addon scenery" file before the scenery settings will add the scenery. When i use my normal way on Steam it appears to add the scenery in the scenery settings but then it says it cannot find it and the scenery doesnt appear all the settings shows it there, I dread the thought of having now to transfer all of the files from my c: to the addon file but it appears that will have to happen unless someone knows the secret of making it work the same way as the boxed version.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

• 4 weeks later...
I will never use Steam for anything again. I have Train Simulator 2015 which had an update through Steam this past week. Well, Steam's servers limit the download speeds allowed, and the download averaged 3.7 KB per second and took four days to complete. I had an update for my video card from nVidia Saturday, have downloaded multiple AFCAD's, airplanes, etc from Flightsim and AVsim all week, and all downloads are well over 250 KB/second. Not to mention the fact that Steam's support (if you can call it that) is as slow responding as their downloads.

FSX Steam itself downloaded in only a couple of hours for me, as well as most other games. Either they had some issue on the server in the last couple of days, or the problem was elsewhere. Did you check to make sure there wasn't a download bandwidth limit set in your Steam client settings?

I took a look at this and FSX:SE writes a relative path to the scenery, in the scenery.cfg file.

Oddly enough, after writing that path it appears that FSX:SE cannot read that relative path.

I replaced the relative path with an absolute path and the scenery worked in FSX:SE, coming from ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery.

It looks like your options are...

1) notify/complain to Steam/DTG and see if they can provide a fix

2) copy all of your addons to ...\FSX:SE\Addon Scenery

3) manually add all of your addons to the scenery.cfg

4) add all of your addons though the Scenery Library, click through all of the warnings and then go replace all of the relative paths in the scenery.cfg with absolute paths. BTW, this would be very easy with Find and Replace.

5) or,...do you want to have all of the addons exactly like you had them in FSX Boxed?

If so, copy the scenery.cfg from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and paste it in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE, overwriting the existing file.

NOTE!!!: if you have already added sceneries to FSX:SE you will have to add them back in.

Note#2: you will still have to fix the paths. Open the scenery.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE with Notepad and press Ctrl+H.

In the "Find what:" box type- Addon Scenery

In the "Replace with:" box type the path to your boxed Addon Scenery.

Click on "Replace all".

Hint: to eliminate the possibility of error and the need of typing the path... open Windows Explorer and navigate to ...\FSX Boxed\Addon Scenery.

Right click on the path box and "copy as text", now you can simply past the path in the Find and Replace box.

Before you do any of this make copies of everything to have as backups.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thank you bean, your efforts are greatly appreciated. I do NOT want all my sceneries the same in Steam as they are in Boxed so i think, in my case, I'll just add what i want to the Addon Scenery. I was trying to avoid having the same sceneries on my system twice, but i have just purchased a SSD and will put Steam on the SSD and so the sceneries will be on different drives. Over time, I expect to get rid of the boxed version as STEAM seems to work just fine for me. I definitely appreciate your input and thank you pvarn for noticing there had been no answer posted. Great job by you both.

I was a big follower of opa also so i trust your efforts.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Archived