I cannot start my Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS).  It does not appear on the Start menu and is not in Settings/Apps so how do I start it?  I can see it on my G: drive at 13Gb and 41,966 files so it has not been removed.

My version was installed on my G: drive sometime in 2021 - It is the Premier Deluxe Edition which I think cost around £100. and it was working fine.   I have not used it for many months so changes must have taken place on the PC since then...  I did recently  re-install Windows 10 to the 😄 drive so maybe I lost some shortcuts or links maybe.  I would like to avoid a re-install as it takes ages. 

In an attempt to start it, I went into the MSFS folder and double-clicked fsx.exe  and got the below message about Directx but I already have Direstx 12 installed

Can you suggest a way to start it? many thanks, Nick

msfs error2.jpg

You appear to have lost a large proportion of files, mine is more than 10 times that. You could try to repair it by going to Wndows Apps Manager, finding MSFS then click repair. But IMO you're going to need a full re-install - wouldn't be a bad idea anyway if you haven't used it for a while as there have been many updates. At least you'll get a "clean" installation.

5 hours ago, nicb said:

did recently  re-install Windows 10 to the 😄 drive so maybe I lost some shortcuts or links maybe.  I would like to avoid a re-install as it takes ages. 

Sounds very much like you need to do a reinstall. As the terrylawdin notes, with the many updates that have come out, it would have essentially been the same as a new install anyways. Also note that the fsx.exe file isn't the correct one for MSFS.

On 5/11/2024 at 5:32 PM, terrylawdinn said:

You appear to have lost a large proportion of files, mine is more than 10 times that. You could try to repair it by going to Wndows Apps Manager, finding MSFS then click repair. But IMO you're going to need a full re-install - wouldn't be a bad idea anyway if you haven't used it for a while as there have been many updates. At least you'll get a "clean" installation.

ok you convinced here goes reinstall, thanks,david

On 5/11/2024 at 8:50 PM, loki said:

Sounds very much like you need to do a reinstall. As the terrylawdin notes, with the many updates that have come out, it would have essentially been the same as a new install anyways. Also note that the fsx.exe file isn't the correct one for MSFS.

On 5/11/2024 at 8:50 PM, loki said:

ok you convinced me, here goes reinstall, thanks,david

On 5/11/2024 at 11:18 AM, nicb said:

I cannot start my Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS).  It does not appear on the Start menu and is not in Settings/Apps so how do I start it?  I can see it on my G: drive at 13Gb and 41,966 files so it has not been removed.

My version was installed on my G: drive sometime in 2021 - It is the Premier Deluxe Edition which I think cost around £100. and it was working fine.   I have not used it for many months so changes must have taken place on the PC since then...  I did recently  re-install Windows 10 to the 😄 drive so maybe I lost some shortcuts or links maybe.  I would like to avoid a re-install as it takes ages. 

In an attempt to start it, I went into the MSFS folder and double-clicked fsx.exe  and got the below message about Directx but I already have Direstx 12 installed

Can you suggest a way to start it? many thanks, Nick

msfs error2.jpg

Dumb question, but are you sure you're running the correct file?

A few things make me wonder:

1. You said you're trying to run fsx.exe, not MSFS.

2. Reading the error, it's looking for DX9 (used by fsx), not 11 or 12, used by MSFS.

3. Far too small file size.

Seems off...

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide