Google chrome blocking flightsim.com downloads

Richiemon

Hi gang - I've tried to download several FS9 files of late from flightsim.com. Once was a Sarasota scenery, and just today a Hawaiian 787 TDS texture. I get a warning that google chrom has blocked it cause it's dangerous. This happened on two different computers in my house. I'd have to believe such files are OK if flightsim has loaded them as popular downloads. Should I disable the google block? Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Richiemon said:

Hi gang - I've tried to download several FS9 files of late from flightsim.com. Once was a Sarasota scenery, and just today a Hawaiian 787 TDS texture. I get a warning that google chrom has blocked it cause it's dangerous. This happened on two different computers in my house. I'd have to believe such files are OK if flightsim has loaded them as popular downloads. Should I disable the google block? Thoughts?

It's perfectly fine, I have been getting that message for quite a few months now.

It pops up with the 'blocked' message, Just hit 'Keep', then again, when prompted after that.

Regards,

Robin

32 minutes ago, wobbie said:

It's perfectly fine, I have been getting that message for quite a few months now.

It pops up with the 'blocked' message, Just hit 'Keep', then again, when prompted after that.

Regards,

Robin

I don't think Chrome has 'keep'. I have the same issue so I use Edge which does have the 'keep' option. 

Just now, JSMR said:

I don't think Chrome has 'keep'. I have the same issue so I use Edge which does have the 'keep' option. 

I should have mentioned that I'm using Edge.

• Like 1

It isn't just google, it has something to do with the download section of this site.  Firefox also blocks downloads, claiming they have a virus ...but they do not.  I override the block and get the download, it passes all local scans, even an online scan (sadly, no longer virustotal).  This is something those behind the scenes need to address.

I never download anything from this site as Google always blocks it.

I use Simviation, Avsim, Rikoooo, Fly Away, Perfect Flight, French VFR, FSX Freeware Scenery, and SOH, all without having the same trouble I have on this site.

Therefore it is logical to say that there is something wrong with the way this site deals with downloads.

It needs to be sorted, now!

2 hours ago, jgf said:

It isn't just google, it has something to do with the download section of this site.  Firefox also blocks downloads, claiming they have a virus ...but they do not.  I override the block and get the download, it passes all local scans, even an online scan (sadly, no longer virustotal).  This is something those behind the scenes need to address.

I think there is more to it than that. Edge downloads files here for me just fine, so I think maybe an exploration of the settings area might be productive. Over a lengthy period I have fine-tuned quite a lot in Edge, the default settings are not ideal.

Another, and generally quicker, way to download a file from this site is to right click on the "Download this file" and select "Save link as". This also works in Firefox.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

36 minutes ago, johnhinson said:

Another, and generally quicker, way to download a file from this site is to right click on the "Download this file" and select "Save link as". This also works in Firefox.

John

Same thing happens in Edge...it will still mention its a file that was blocked as unsafe. 
In Chrome, there is no option to download any files here unless one turns off some safety features. Which is odd. 

12 hours ago, JSMR said:

Same thing happens in Edge...it will still mention its a file that was blocked as unsafe. 

Like I said, it works fine here. So it must either be Edge settings or whatever your Anti-Virus might be that is forcing this. I think the settings are likely to be the offender.

Unfortunately everybody developing browsers and anti-virus goes way too far in their namby-pamby protection, covering their backsides in case you sue them I suppose. Anything they aren't 100% certain of gets marked as dangerous whether it is or not - they don't check or analyse. Which then teaches people to ignore warnings and then it makes the whole flipping exercise a waste of time.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

with Firefox you get the following warning:

Firefoxwarning1.thumb.jpg.104c28d9e9902e771024326669164eda.jpg

But if you hover the pointer over the red" This file contains a virus or malware" it changes to:

Firefox1.5.jpg.5b07d05aa455a7484e3e35d84d6b4bb0.jpg

If you click on "Show more information" you get:

Firefoxwarning2.thumb.jpg.aa66a0d12821870e1d30046cc42915b2.jpg

Simply select "Allow download" and the file will download.

A PITA, but two clicks and the file is downloaded despite thw warning.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

Simply select "Allow download" and the file will download.

A PITA, but two clicks and the file is downloaded despite thw warning.

Exactly.

(I was just too lazy to start a d/l and make screenshots.)

And since this is the only site giving me this problem (and it started fairly recently) I feel it has something to do with the library here, not my browser.

I agree with jgf, this is the only site I get the problem and like jgf it only started about maybee (not sure exactly when) a month ago.

It has something to do with how this site is presenting the files to the browser, or lacking some form of authentication required by the browser.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

I agree with jgf, this is the only site I get the problem and like jgf it only started about maybee (not sure exactly when) a month ago.

It has something to do with how this site is presenting the files to the browser, or lacking some form of authentication required by the browser.

It isn't us, or our Browsers... it's this Site.

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

It isn't us, or our Browsers... it's this Site.

Then why does FSUIPC get blocked at the official site using Chrome? It least I know what to click to easily start the download.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

For Chrome all you have to do is click on the three verical dots, select downloads, then select download dangerous file, and you should be good to go.

So far, as of 30 seconds ago, there are no download problems using DuckDuckGo browser.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Yep, it is this site, & it's not a new 'issue' at all. Been happening for some time now.

A little storm in a tea-cup really. 

I've been using Edge to download, for ages, & it's 2nd nature to just click 'Keep' twice. My anti-virus has never flagged anything from Flightsim.

Here, the downloads are probably the fastest from all the sim sites.

1 hour ago, LordofGats said:

Google probably just believes that this website holds a secret all-powerful trojan virus in the deepest darkest pits in here.

LOL.. nothing to do with Google! Most browsers are picking up the issue, even non Google/Chrome based browsers.