AI chopper take offs

cj75s

Hi

I am trying to get a helicopter (ai) to do a vertical take off as real ones do say up to 20 feet and then fly horizontal to gain airspeed and take off. This is so I can get them to take off from a helipad on an offshore platform correctly.

Is there a way to do this.

Thanks

I do not think there is provision in FS2004 for AI helicopters, and generally they will use a runway like other aircraft.

I believe various modifications have been made to make take-off a little more realistic but I doubt they would cope with something as small as an offshore platform realistically, if at all. Search the libraries and see what you can find.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

To get helicopters to hoovering almost like real ones, you have to use Heli2009 of Flight1. The bad point is, that heli traffic can't be followed like other aircraft shown with Traffic Toolbox. Positively said, all helicopters can be used, and there is no need to create separate Afcads. It works from any place you want.

That's an example using Heli2009:

51249284281_b2f91369cd.jpg

51249475893_241ef3606c.jpg

Once there was a Mil-8 which hoovered at beginning of the runway, flow at low altitude over the runways for about 1000 ft and then took off.

Bernard

cj75s,

As johnhinson already points out, this is not as easy as you may think. I have no experience with what leuen above writes.

These basics will already make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to create a working AI helipad as part of any addon scenery object and that includes offshore platforms. The main reasons for this is because any AI VTOL take off/landing will always need to take place via a specially created "airport runway" and as far as I know that's the only way. However, the FS9 definition of a runway is rather "flexable" in that it can technically be made very short but can also be made to be invisible so that the underlying visible scenery is not disturbed. You will also need a specially dedicated parking position somewhere and a taxiway including a "hold short position" just before that runway. Also, don't forget the two so called "start positions" and (most important) that the helipad itself will need to be hardened, otherwise any heli, AI or flyable, will always fall through it.

There are methods for "hardening" such an addon scenery object's helipad but such a helpad can then only be used for flyable VTOL heli's and does not need to be classified as an official airfield.

However, having active AI VTOL heli's take off and land anywhere at all, is at existing airfields/airports, which must then include one or more specifically created (parking coded) parking positions.

Good luck

Hans

g75s,

I had never heard of "heli2009" before but out of pure inquisitiveness I looked it up and read all about it. To me it seems that this program could be your best option but only as long as you do not watch the take offs and landings from too close quarters because they seem to be rather "mechanical" and non- realistic.

Hans