Abandoned & Little Know Airfields

PhrogPhlyer

1 hour ago, Lazerson said:

Thanks for compiling and organizing this!

My pleasure. I hope there becomes enough interest to require regular updating of the list.

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I see the original posting was related to (mostly?) American airfields, but if anyone is using photo-scenery of the UK you might find the "Disused Airfields" section of my "Private Strips Revisited" upload to be of interest.

Very few have any detail, but they all act as markers on the map which you can refer to when passing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Attached is Rev 2 is the available scenery list of airfields known to have been recreated for the flight sim community.

This list will be updated as additional fields have scenery created or located.

If you know of any other fields that have had scenery created and are listed on the Abandoned & Little-Know Airfields website airfields-freeman.com, please let me know and I will update this list accordingly.

Abandoned & Forgotten Airfields FSX Rev2 2400409.pdf 202.67 kB · 4 downloads

I have another one for you- I did Helendale AAF Aux in California the other day.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA_PalmdaleN.htm#helendale

1 hour ago, Lazerson said:

Helendale AAF Aux in California

Thank you, I'll include in the next rev!

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Rev. 4, now includes 72 airfields.

The attached list is of the airfields known to have been recreated for the flight sim community.

This list will be updated as additional fields have scenery created.

If you know of any other fields that have had scenery created and are listed on the Abandoned & Little-Know Airfields website airfields-freeman.com, please let me know and I will update this list accordingly.

Abandoned & Forgotten Airfields FSX Rev4 2400412.pdf

phrog x 2.jpg

On 4/3/2024 at 2:58 AM, chris_eve said:

I see the original posting was related to (mostly?) American airfields, but if anyone is using photo-scenery of the UK you might find the "Disused Airfields" section of my "Private Strips Revisited" upload to be of interest.

Chris,

Thank you for posting this.

Yes, Paul Freeman's Abandoned & Little Know Airfields website ( http://airfields-freeman.com/ ) includes over 2200 US airfields.

I'd be happy to add to the list I've been posting (Rev 4 now) these historical anecdotes from all over the world as they are brought to my attention.

Keep calm and Sim On!

phrog x 2.jpg

38 minutes ago, jgf said:

A revision to that site - Gunter Air Force Station in Alabama is not, nor has ever been, abandoned

I presume they are listed for the second half of the title to Paul's site "& Little Known."

If one wonders why these were included on the site, they should reach out to the site.

I am only attempting to show that there are many airfield scenery downloads available should any of these fields interest you.

phrog x 2.jpg

For those more knowledgeable on the importance or historical significance of UK airfields, I've attached a list of the disused airfields from chris_eve's extensive FS2004 download for UK Private Strips.

If anyone would like specific airfields to be added to the my links list, please just let me know which field, along with its Country and City. I'll ensure that Chris and his download link and pertinent link to http://woodair.net/UK_Airfield_Catalogue/uk.htm are associated with these on that listing.

Thank you.

UK Disused.jpg

phrog x 2.jpg

7 hours ago, jgf said:

Lowndes County "airport" (67A) in Ft. Deposit AL ...  FS2004 includes it.

With this thread I am trying to bring attention to the numerous add-on scenery for missing airports. or enhancements to existing airports of historical interest.

Are you aware of add-on scenery for Lowndes County? I could not locate any for any sim version.

Thanks.

phrog x 2.jpg

I was just thinking that it would have been nice if these were for Nine, because they would fit very nicely in either a Golden or Silver Wings Install! The Time period would be just about right, and with CalClassic period Scenery you'd have a pretty 40's & 50's Sim World!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I was just thinking that it would have been nice if these were for Nine

On the links listing I've added any appropriate scenery regardless of the sim version.

So there are some FS2004 links to be found there.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

10 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

On the links listing I've added any appropriate scenery regardless of the sim version.

So there are some FS2004 links to be found there.

I've got the AAF airfields installed, and they're great for recreating USAAF training missions using old Warbirds! 

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

• 1 month later...