Abandoned & Little Know Airfields

PhrogPhlyer

This thread is intended for use by all the scenery creators who use Paul Freeman's Abandoned & Little Know Airfields website to develop missing airfields ( http://airfields-freeman.com/ ).

Although this thread is listed within FSX, creators in all other sim versions are welcome to use this location for the same reason.

I have contacted Paul Freeman, and he welcomes our efforts and requests that we credit the use of his material by identifying his web link, http://airfields-freeman.com/.

Periodically I will attach an updated list of these fields with download links.

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me here on FlightSim.

Thank you,

PhrogPhlyer

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Paul certainly has had a wonderful website for many years now- he does a great job. I might suggest to developers who build FS airports that they submit to Paul any information that they find in other research, too, whether Paul has it listed (yet) or not. He always welcomes additional information about his listed fields, as well as about new listings.

• Like 3

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

With regards to the old Avon STOLPort, Paul does mention that an FS version was made, and is pictured in his Listing. It's here in the Library if anyone's interested. Fun Approach... 7.8° Glide Slope to the Threshold!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

3 hours ago, lnuss said:

Paul certainly has had a wonderful website for many years now- he does a great job. I might suggest to developers who build FS airports that they submit to Paul any information that they find in other research, too, whether Paul has it listed (yet) or not. He always welcomes additional information about his listed fields, as well as about new listings.

I've submitted pictures I've taken at old airfield sites over the years as well. A donation is also always welcome- those website fees stack up.

Rocky Mountain "Scareways" and AvonSTOLPort live only in distant memory now, way back when they and (the REAL) Frontier Airlines used to fly of all things, the Twin Otter.

I lived west of Stapleton on a straight line with Runway 26 L/R, and I'd hear 'em fly over the house with the unmistakable roar of their PT6's; much different than the Heavy Iron using 26L.

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

More recent abandoned heliports were the heliport actually on the Las Vegas Strip near the Monte Carlo which was there in 2003, but had gone by 2007, and the "Fly High Heliport" on the Irlo Bronson Highway/I192 out of Kissimmee, heading West, that was a fixture for me from 2008 up to 2018. It now seems there is a supermarket on the site.

However, Frederick Zealor did an excellent version of it that works well in FSX and is a regular landing spot for any new heli I acquire.

4 hours ago, Lazerson said:

For those of you curious about the Avon STOLport-

I'll add this to the list.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

2 hours ago, Sirrus said:

However, Frederick Zealor did an excellent version of it that works well in FSX

Would you please post the link and I'll add this to the list. Thx

And for the so so many come and gone heliports, send any info to Paul also. With enough interest he might add these to his site.

phrog x 2.jpg

27 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

@lnuss Larry, did you ever eat at the 94th Aero Squadron?

A couple of times- food was pretty good, decor was great and plane watching was decent. For others who don't know, the 94th Aero Squadron was a nice restaurant at Denver's Stapleton Airport (since replaced by Denver International), with an excellent view of runways. There are some others, too, at least in San Diego and Miami.

Another place I enjoyed (not quite so fancy and it's been over 20 years now) was the restaurant at the Greely, CO airport- used to fly in occasionally for breakfast (yummy breakfast burritos) or lunch (wonderful big, juicy hamburgers), with a nice view of the airport.

Below is the L-21 (military version of Super Cub) I had back then at Greeley- the tower looking thing housed the restaurant -- Greeley didn't have a control tower. In the 3rd pic you can see we're not the only ones there for breakfast. In the 4th pic we're turning base to final for GXY's runway 09 (now 10 because of magvar shift).

Mk_lfn_Gxy.jpg

MKtrip15.jpg

MKtrip14.JPG

MKtrip19.jpg

• Like 1

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

4 minutes ago, lnuss said:

A couple of times- food was pretty good, decor was great and plane watching was decent. For others who don't know, the 94th Aero Squadron was a nice restaurant at Denver's Stapleton Airport (since replaced by Denver International), with an excellent view of runways. There are some others, too, at least in San Diego and Miami.

Another place I enjoyed (not quite so fancy and it's been over 20 years now) was the restaurant at the Greely, CO airport- used to fly in occasionally for breakfast (yummy breakfast burritos) or lunch (wonderful big, juicy hamburgers), with a nice view of the airport.

Below is the L-21 (military version of Super Cub) I had back then at Greeley- the tower looking thing housed the restaurant -- Greeley didn't have a control tower. In the 3rd pic you can see we're not the only ones there for breakfast. In the 4th pic we're turning base to final for GXY's runway 09 (now 10 because of magvar shift).

Mk_lfn_Gxy.jpg

MKtrip15.jpg

MKtrip14.JPG

MKtrip19.jpg

Those are some awesome photos there, Larry!

A nice place is The Perfect Landing Restaurant at Centennial Airport. There are great views of the Runway and Ramp, and they have great food.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

3 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Those are some awesome photos there, Larry!

A nice place is The Perfect Landing Restaurant at Centennial Airport. There are great views of the Runway and Ramp, and they have great food.

Is that the current name of the one above the Jet Center? If so I've flown in there a couple of times, though it's been over 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

50 minutes ago, lnuss said:

Is that the current name of the one above the Jet Center? If so I've flown in there a couple of times, though it's been over 20 years ago.

Yes, I think so. 🙂

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Used to be a 94th Aero Squadron restaurant at the Van Nuys, Ca, airport, but sadly, it closed permanently in 2022.  It was a great place for lunch and airplane watching, near the north end of the runways.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rockinrobin said:

Used to be a 94th Aero Squadron restaurant at the Van Nuys, Ca, airport, but sadly, it closed permanently in 2022.  It was a great place for lunch and airplane watching, near the north end of the runways.

I didn't know there were other Restaurants with the same name; were they a Franchise or Chain? And why is it that I remember the 'farmhouse' had holes in the walls, but the glass covering the holes was part of the wall and not just a pane put over the 'hole'? Weird...

It was a great place, though...

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

55 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I didn't know there were other Restaurants with the same name; were they a Franchise or Chain? And why is it that I remember the 'farmhouse' had holes in the walls, but the glass covering the holes was part of the wall and not just a pane put over the 'hole'? Weird...

It was a great place, though...

I think it's a franchise, there's still one at KMYF in San Diego.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lnuss said:

Mk_lfn_Gxy.jpg

MKtrip15.jpg

MKtrip14.JPG

MKtrip19.jpg

Is that a Thorp next to your super cub?

1 hour ago, rockinrobin said:

Apparently that restaurant was opened by the same gentleman who created the Proud Bird at LAX

3 hours ago, rockinrobin said:

Used to be a 94th Aero Squadron restaurant at the Van Nuys, Ca

And at NE Philadelphia Airport (KPNE), but the restaurant has been closed for years.

phrog x 2.jpg

5 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

And at NE Philadelphia Airport (KPNE), but the restaurant has been closed for years.

The one here in Denver burned down in the late 80's. Like many things it's faded into distant memory.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

12 hours ago, Lazerson said:

Is that a Thorp next to your super cub?

I'm not sure- that's over 20 years ago, and I can't quite tell from the picture. It certainly is similar in appearance but there are a few others that look similar and I don't have all the details memorized.

• Thanks 1

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

The attached list is of the airfields known to have been recreated for the flight sim community.

This list will be updated as additional fields have scenery created.

If you know of any other fields that have had scenery created and are listed on the Abandoned & Little-Know Airfields website airfields-freeman.com, please let me know and I will update this list accordingly.

Abandoned & Forgotten Airfields List 240330.pdf

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

5 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

The attached list is of the airfields known to have been recreated for the flight sim community.

This list will be updated as additional fields have scenery created.

If you know of any other fields that have had scenery created and are listed on the Abandoned & Little-Know Airfields website airfields-freeman.com, please let me know and I will update this list accordingly.

Abandoned & Forgotten Airfields List 240330.pdf 187.98 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for compiling and organizing this!