Virtavia CH-46/Vertol 107/Columbia 107

Sirrus

The recently released Virtavia CH-46, now as freeware, gives rise to some special colour schemes:-

image.thumb.jpeg.76288ef01a614ed15416a3d365c7109b.jpeg

a Naval one at North Island

image.thumb.jpeg.3f6a726326cc1964bd96323bfb9e6811.jpeg

another at Point Magu

image.thumb.jpeg.459663530ef586dda94f8afb6da422a1.jpeg

a Columbia Helicopters 107 at Aurora - it is marketed as a Columbia 107...

image.thumb.jpeg.87ba76a4b5ae94ce192fc7d8c4fb5633.jpeg

Sky Aviation bought four to fight fires with...

image.thumb.jpeg.48ad68f5400562eea5ec4db5f01b626f.jpeg

...whilst the USMC used them to carry around the Press Corps attached to POTUS. This one seen waiting at the East River Heliport 18 September 2009.

image.thumb.jpeg.453b2799855e8badb2dd33178f10af47.jpeg

and New York Airways used them to connect Newark, Manhattan and Idlewild/JFK quickly, avoiding the traffic. This is NYA600 at the Manhattan Heliport before going on to Newark.

1 hour ago, Sirrus said:

...whilst the USMC used them to carry around the Press Corps attached to POTUS. This one seen waiting at the East River Heliport 18 September 2009.

Always love the '46's.

The "white side" of HMX-1 carry the President and the "green side" flies support for presidential missions along with training support to the various schools associated with  MCB Quantico VA. Although there have been a very limited number of press personnel flown, this is not one of the missions of the "green side." And as a point of interest, when the press does fly aboard a US Military aircraft they are charged for that flight. Some flights no fee at the direct invitation  of the Service (writing an article about the service or aircraft).

One paint scheme that I have on my list to create is the State Department White and Blue of the ex-CH-46's we "gifted" to the Taliban when we withdrew from Afghanistan.

state-department-phrog.jpg

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

5 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Always love the '46's.

The "white side" of HMX-1 carry the President and the "green side" flies support for presidential missions along with training support to the various schools associated with  MCB Quantico VA. Although there have been a very limited number of press personnel flown, this is not one of the missions of the "green side." And as a point of interest, when the press does fly aboard a US Military aircraft they are charged for that flight. Some flights no fee at the direct invitation  of the Service (writing an article about the service or aircraft).

One paint scheme that I have on my list to create is the State Department White and Blue of the ex-CH-46's we "gifted" to the Taliban when we withdrew from Afghanistan.

state-department-phrog.jpg

My favorite Phrog scheme was always HMM-163, Evil Eyes/Ridge Runners. Those evil eyes on the nose always got me. I loved seeing them every year at the Miramar Airshow.image.jpeg.92565d7b084ab393fe4c1725143cd1d1.jpeg

6 hours ago, Lazerson said:

My favorite Phrog scheme

Def. a good scheme.

One Christmas on Okinawa we painted a '46 red (temp paint) to fly Santa Claus for the children of Marines and local employees.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I got so used to flying 46's with an aerial .50 pointed out each side, they almost don't look real without them. 

But speaking of logos.  We Purple Foxes all had fox stencils and tones of cans of purple spray paint.  And we marked anything that wasn't moving in Vietnam on a regular basis.  Everyone there at the time knew who HMM-364 and our H-34s were.  But they never were able to stop us from painting a Purple Fox on their stuff!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

And we marked anything that wasn't moving

I "heard" of the HMM-161 Pegasus being painted on all the Blue Angels aircraft around midnight before an air show at El Toro. It "may" have led to a full squadron formation to be "spoken to" by the Wing CG. 

hmm161.jpg

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

I got so used to flying 46's with an aerial .50 pointed out each side, they almost don't look real without them. 

But speaking of logos.  We Purple Foxes all had fox stencils and tones of cans of purple spray paint.  And we marked anything that wasn't moving in Vietnam on a regular basis.  Everyone there at the time knew who HMM-364 and our H-34s were.  But they never were able to stop us from painting a Purple Fox on their stuff!!

Now that's squadron spirit!

17 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I "heard" of the HMM-161 Pegasus being painted on all the Blue Angels aircraft around midnight before an air show at El Toro. It "may" have led to a full squadron formation to be "spoken to" by the Wing CG. 

hmm161.jpg

aw man I would've killed to see the looks on their faces coming out to that on the flightline

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lazerson said:

see the looks on their faces

And you definitely don't want to see the look on the face of a PO'd General.

• Haha 1

phrog x 2.jpg

On 3/20/2024 at 2:04 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

And you definitely don't want to see the look on the face of a PO'd General.

Been There Seen That!  On the faces of General Walt and General Krulak!  Each was on different occasion.  But still you could tell neither one was at all happy at the time!! 

Of course during Vietnam we had a huge advantage over peace time Juggies.  Anything they did to punish or get even with us would only delay us from getting shot at.  You don't Down a squadron in a combat zone or about to be deployed to one, just because you're mad at them.  😜 

• Like 2
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.