Telex Headsets

What is the model name/number?

You can most likely determine a range of manufacture years, but I'm not aware of individual ID numbers or production numbers to get more specific.

As ling as it is in good condition and the ear cushion provides a good seal, it is most likely good tp use.

I have and use some headsets that are 50 yrs plus.

Also, always wear double hearing protection (headset plus ear pugs).

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

As Phrog asked, what model- they made a lot of them. I still have one of their active noise canceling units from the '90s, model ANR-1D, an excellent unit I bought when I still owned a Cub. And as Phrog also indicated, they don't tend to do changes of aircraft stuff on a model year basis (just like ham radio), rather the development costs are fairly high to make them acceptable to the FAA/FCC and the sales volumes are very low compared to normal consumer products, such that they make essentially the same product for many years, perhaps adding a new model once in a while, but nothing regular.

If there's a data plate you can look at you might get a clue, but with the actual model number (including any prefix/suffix) it might be possible to determine a range of dates when that model was made.

• Thanks 1

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

9 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

What is the model name/number?

You can most likely determine a range of manufacture years, but I'm not aware of individual ID numbers or production numbers to get more specific.

As ling as it is in good condition and the ear cushion provides a good seal, it is most likely good tp use.

I have and use some headsets that are 50 yrs plus.

Also, always wear double hearing protection (headset plus ear pugs).

They're MRB-600s! Not what I usually use when I fly, I have a very nice pair of active noise reduction david clarks I use. I just love that mint green DC uses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lnuss said:

As Phrog asked, what model- they made a lot of them. I still have one of their active noise canceling units from the '90s, model ANR-1D, an excellent unit I bought when I still owned a Cub. And as Phrog also indicated, they don't tend to do changes of aircraft stuff on a model year basis (just like ham radio), rather the development costs are fairly high to make them acceptable to the FAA/FCC and the sales volumes are very low compared to normal consumer products, such that they make essentially the same product for many years, perhaps adding a new model once in a while, but nothing regular.

If there's a data plate you can look at you might get a clue, but with the actual model number (including any prefix/suffix) it might be possible to determine a range of dates when that model was made.

I appreciate the help! I'm gonna take a closer look at them later. Right now I can tell you the model is MRB-600.

According to this site: https://gsplanestuff.com/products/telex-a-610-and-mrb-600-headset-technical-data-sheet-circa-1976

the data sheet for the MRB-600 was circa 1976. With a carbon mic, that's quite a likely time frame, perhaps near the end of carbon mics before the electrets, etc. were more common.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

12 hours ago, Lazerson said:

They're MRB-600s! Not what I usually use when I fly, I have a very nice pair of active noise reduction david clarks I use. I just love that mint green DC uses.

Instant Brand Recognition by Color. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Like Audio headphones; some swear by Sennheiser, some AudioTechnica, others by Sony.

Take Sony's MDR V6 headphones; released in 1985, they were the Gold Standard for Audiophiles and recently discontinued after an almost 40 year run. Excellent sound quality and durability. They were also famous as the headphones "Seaman Jones" (Courtney B. Vance) in the film The Hunt For Red October.

hqdefault.jpg.a5bce0057a31c8ed643b99478aeec9dc.jpg

• Thanks 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

9 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Instant Brand Recognition by Color. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Like Audio headphones; some swear by Sennheiser, some AudioTechnica, others by Sony.

Take Sony's MDR V6 headphones; released in 1985, they were the Gold Standard for Audiophiles and recently discontinued after an almost 40 year run. Excellent sound quality and durability. They were also famous as the headphones "Seaman Jones" (Courtney B. Vance) in the film The Hunt For Red October.

hqdefault.jpg.a5bce0057a31c8ed643b99478aeec9dc.jpg

Funny enough, I'm wearing Sonys right now, a pair my boyfriend got me for my last birthday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lazerson said:

Funny enough, I'm wearing Sonys right now, a pair my boyfriend got me for my last birthday.

Those old MDR V6's would make any Walkman sound like a high quality Stereo. Back in the days of Cassettes and Album Side Weekends on the local FM station, you could get by pretty well with those headphones.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

13 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Those old MDR V6's would make any Walkman sound like a high quality Stereo. Back in the days of Cassettes and Album Side Weekends on the local FM station, you could get by pretty well with those headphones.

I might have to track down a pair! One of my hobbies is collecting headphones. The star of my collection is a motorola behind-the-head headset used by US Navy special warfare teams.

• Like 1