Newbie system connection question

medemt

I am looking to build a general aviation flight simulator. I have watched many videos and done quite a bit of research, but I am missing the one thing that I need to fully understand what and how to get going on a build. I see many videos on how to make gauges and pushbutton panels. How to put displays in a sim. But I can't seem to get how to take all the hardware and connect it to the flight sim computer.

For example, if I build all the panels and put displays on the sim, and I connect all that to say an Arduino system, how where, what software do I need to connect it to the computer? I have looked at USB output, RS485 networks, but that is where I get stuck. Basically, I'm looking for the different ways to take the physical controls and make them work. The wiring, cabling, etc. behind the sim panels. What software(s) to use. 

I hope that makes some sense. I would really appreciate if someone or a number of folks could point me in the right direction so I can get started building a sim.

I will be honest, I am not the most experienced with software and computers, so keep that in mind when replying. I can build all the hardware and I am learning Arduino, but that is where I must confess my experience goes soft.

I have not decided on a flight simulator software but leaning toward Microsoft or X plane. (would like to here from anyone on either of these as it relates to my issue.

Thank you in advance for any assistance. Hope this is the right forum for help on this.

Dan

You'll need something like Axis and Ohs software: https://www.axisandohs.com/

There are others out there, but I'm no expert on cockpit building but hopefully someone who is will chime in here.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64