Instantly had more fun!

ConnorHillary

I recently got back into FS9, basically after being frustrated with P3D.....once again. I upgraded my CPU and P3D still isn't completely smooth, personally I believe a RX 570 with a Ryzen 5 5600x should be enough for such an uninspired looking game, but I guess not because dynamic lights destroyed my fps, and nothing fixed it. Word of warning, P3D is insanely unoptimized and unless you have an 8gb vram card, it is just awful and for how it looks that is dumb, its dynamic lighting basically makes the game unusable. So back to FS9, I LOVE IT! I flew from KMDT to KLCK, I programmed a rather basic route into the FMC because I haven't gotten Navigraph / Sim brief set up just yet so I couldn't make a proper route. I basically just put in the STAR and programmed the approach on the DEP/ARRIVAL page and flew a straight line to the STAR and then proceeded to fly that lol. I was using the PMDG 747-400 with FSrealWX and it was really enjoyable, the weather was accurate and there never was any severe wind shifts, albeit some abrupt weather pop in but it was fast and never truly bothered me. I tried FSrealWX on P3D and it was really slow, and it would go to like 15 fps every time it updated so it performs much better on FS9. I wish we had the kind of weather you can get with ActiveSky on P3D but it's alright. The clouds were just above the runway and the fog was immense, it had me convinced and immersed, something P3D couldn't ever do and trust me, I have done 12-hour flights on P3D and it never made me feel the way this does with only 1 single 30-minute half assed flight lol. This game is simple to setup and for someone with OCD, simple is amazing. I actually enjoy finding all the freeware on this game, I have yet to start my search on that, but I will soon. It's much more fun to download things that were made from love and not greed, no offense but I have gotten a lot of airports on P3D with terrible quality or severely unoptimized dynamic lights. The freeware UNNT and KPHL for this game is excellent with good FPS and no visual bugs, btw I was using the iFly 747 in the past, but I found the disk version of PMDG 747-400 for FS2004 on Mercari of all places in the past so definitely go check those apps if you don't have it because you may find one. It's not like the one I have on P3D but it is still alright, and I find the displays on it much smoother then iFly but nothing against that one, I kind of just use both tbh, the iFly can fly RNAV approaches better, it's a game of pros and cons just choose the one that fit your pros more than your cons. Sorry for the long novel but hey, I am just a weird guy. To sum it up, old games can definitely be more fun because you spend less, and old games don't suffer from corporate greed as much. Idk, I can look around at all the pay ware in P3D and I don't feel any joy because I spent too much lol! Happy flying, btw what is everyone's favorite aircraft? Mine is the 747, it is elegant, I am always watching 747 cockpit videos on YouTube lol. I hope everyone has a good day, enjoy the foggy screenshot at KLCK! (I don't want this post to seem like I am bashing on P3D, I am just giving perspective on why I enjoy FS9 more on a personal preference level.

Screenshot (1).jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, loki said:

Good to see you found the sim that works for you!

For reference, which version of P3D were you using? I wouldn't expect an RX570 to handle the latest versions very well.

I was using P3Dv5 for a while but got fed up with the fps with dynamic lights, so I tried P3Dv4 to maybe lighten the load and it's kind of the same thing. I can get 40 to 50fps with even clouds shadows on with the PMDG and select pay ware airports but the dynamic lights basically just killed my fps during heavy weather situations at night. I read that it is airport dependent. Luxembourg by Just Sim has very heavy dynamic lighting on the runway. What's weird is its dependent on zoom level as well, if I zoom in it just gets worse and worse. Basically, very rough around the edge's performance, one minute I am getting great frames beyond 30fps and the next it is crawling to an insane degree. I just can't handle it anymore lol.