Scenery libraries- the building blocks of detailed freeware scenery

Lazerson

I wanted to touch on how I go about finding and using scenery object libraries, also known as static object libraries. There are two large groups of library objects that are by far the most common in FSX and FS9 scenery, these being the EZ object libraries and John Stinstrom's object libraries. These have been compiled along with a ton of other libraries in two places- calclassic propliner's object libraries and Military AI works object libraries. Calclassic is available here, but I'll link to their website where they have more comprehensive information about their usage and you can access a treasure trove of classic airport scenery for FS9 and FSX. Military AI Works' libraries are available for FSX and FS9 on their website with a massive library of military AI and scenery files. Links below.

1. Calclassic- contains the EZ scenery libraries including everything from vending machines to vintage VW busses

2. MAIW- contains John  Stinstrom's libraries including vehicles and buildings

I also use Jim Dhaenen's airport buildings libraries, available in a Lemoore NAS scenery from MAIW, for many of my airfields. He's created libraries of common hangars and buildings seen on civilian airports across the world.

3. Airport Buildings

Most of these libraries, all in BGL format, can be placed with any instant scenery program, however I use scruffyduck's fantastic Airport Design Editor program for all my scenery.

4. Airport Design Editor

If you have any questions about scenery libraries and ADE let me know! I don't necessarily know everything but I've been screwing around with ADE for a while now.

1 hour ago, Lazerson said:

EZ object libraries and John Stinstrom's object libraries

And let's not forget Dan French's work.

And at MAIW the DDR libraries are a must for military or Mid-Eastern Europe.

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly unknown to many, but UK2000 did provide their "Common Library" free of charge.

I don't know if it's still available.

Obviously initially designed for use with the UK2000 sceneries, and you did need to create an account and register to enable you to download it, once you've got it installed there are some useful generic contents and a lot of static aircraft which can be used wherever.

3 hours ago, chris_eve said:

Possibly unknown to many, but UK2000 did provide their "Common Library" free of charge.

I could not find this on their website, just the MSFS 2020 library.

If you know a link would you post it here?

Thank you.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

3 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I could not find this on their website, just the MSFS 2020 library.

If you know a link would you post it here?

Thank you.

I just logged on to my account on the UK2000 website and the library was there for me to download for free, so it would seem to be still available as Common_Library_Package_3.74.exe

As it's effectively part of some commercial software I don't think I can share it ... I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else had access to it but hadn't realised.

2 minutes ago, chris_eve said:

I just logged on to my account on the UK2000 website

That must be the difference, didn't create an account as of yet.

Thx

phrog x 2.jpg

Just now, PhrogPhlyer said:

That must be the difference, didn't create an account as of yet.

Thx

I forget the details now ... it was some years ago I set it all up.

I'd downloaded some of their try-before-you-buy packages for FS9 or FSX and those installers asked for the libraries.

9 hours ago, chris_eve said:

I don't know if it's still available.

Obviously initially designed for use with the UK2000 sceneries, and you did need to create an account and register to enable you to download it, once you've got it installed there are some useful generic contents and a lot of static aircraft which can be used wherever.

fantastic addition, thank you!

• Like 1

Another suite of libraries that has just come to mind is the UKVFR collection that was released primarily for use with the UKVFR photographic scenery, but was available for general use.

I'm sure if you dig around a bit you'll find them somewhere 🙂

• Like 1