I live in Santa Cruz County in CA where an airport exists, KWVI (Watsonville Muni). I have similar issues where IAFs exist on actual approach plates. But around KWVI in MSFS do not exist. Say if I want to do an RNAV from KSJC (San Jose) to KWVI and set up in Flight Plan and choose PROC and the drop down has RNAV for rwy 2 there are 4 choices. I pick one and Activate. MSFS does not recognize any of the IAFs. but does recognize the FAF FOXOV. There is no vector I can fly to in the GPS to a IAF to the IF to reach my FAF. X-plane does not encounter this. It recognizes all. I thought MSFS was supposed to be the more advanced flight sim. It has the eye candy but not the flight plan accuracies. Is there a kind of an update that needs to be done? And how?  

You'll need a Navigraph Navdata subscription for that: https://navigraph.com/products/navigation-data

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yes you can: Create an IFR low or high level flight with an RNAV approach where available. Fly the whole flight including approach in GPS mode on the GPS or PFD; on approach select APR mode on the autopilot and you'll intercept the glideslope just as you would on a 'normal' ILS approach. On an RNAV approach there's no ILS frequency required or any other ground-based beacon used for guidance. A low-cost airline here in Europe (easyJet) are testing a new guidance system for the whole flight in this way - satellite guidance only is used for the entire flight: https://mediacentre.easyjet.com/story/16986/easyjet-takes-to-the-skies-with-iris-next-generation-air-traffic-communication-service

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64