The 2024 Australian Air Rally - The FBO

TomPenDragon

3 hours ago, MAD1 said:

I would love to fly an airship. Will research and get one!

Here are a couple Goodyear craft to get you started.

Yes they are FS2002.

You will find these are quite different than anything else you've flown.

gydef.zip gdyr2k2.zip

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

The first two attempts at restoring failed because my Norton anti-virus stopped the process from copying over some files it needed to! And it's the very DEVIL to turn Norton off! It keeps on telling me that I'm 'in danger', which total rubbish as I turned my wifi off! Can't it tell that?

Some software is just TOO stupid.

So now I'm going through a DOUBLE restore, the first to get it back to where I was before I started the first one, and the second to REALLY restore it, without wifi or Norton........

I'll be back in a few hours I guess. 

• Sad 1

Regards

Kit

2 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

Some software is just TOO stupid.

+1

2 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

I'll be back in a few hours I guess. 

We ALL feel your pain.

image.jpeg.e6e0aefcfb56c7f80786192c8a8a2155.jpeg

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

The Daily Update

(Cue “She Sells Sanctuary”)

EP: “Hello and welcome to the Update for the 27th of February, 2024. I’m Elias Pacheco for Radio Chachapoya. It’s been a quiet day on the race course as our Gaggle winds down. Most people are already in Cairns, one notable exception being Bossspecops, who equipment failures have stranded in Rockhampton. With now three days left in the Gaggle, he doubts that he can reach Cairns in time for the finish. Perhaps one of our pilots who has a little extra time on their hands can give him a lift so that he can join us for the party. So sad to hear about this, Bosss.

“In other news, Melo has posted his PIREP for the completion of the 1976 Australian Air Race. The Aussie Correspondent published a very nice interview with his friend, MAD1. And jgf packed his Staggerwing aboard a C-5A for the long flight home.

“As far as the Spirit of the Race Award goes, we have the following nominees:

• Bossspecops
  • Melo965
  • TomPenDragon
  • PhrogPhlyer

Voting is tomorrow. One vote per club member. Would you please post your vote separately from any other commentary or pictures, please?

“The Leaderboard is…

GAAGLB227.thumb.jpg.a587f841fcd0bef4d402e229fb7f90f9.jpg

“...unchanged from yesterday.

“I’d like to take the rest of today’s Update to tell you about a friend named Ilan Papini. The Ilan I knew loved three things: Flying, sailing, and making computers do impossible things to simulate the first two. In 1998, he released Hang Sim, which still has the best modeling of thermals of any flight simulator I’ve seen. He followed this in 1999 with Virtual Sailor, the first open world nautical simulator, which came complete with a set of tools for developing boats and scenery for the program.

“Ilan wrote exquisite code, but was not very good with words, at least not in English, as his native language was Hebrew. I received Virtual Sailor as a gift in 2000 and, although I enjoyed it thoroughly, I grew frustrated by the lack of documentation. I contacted him with a question, and found him to be the most accessible and customer-focused developer who I have personally known. I was so impressed that I offered to write the documentation for him, just for the price of a single license of each new product he released.

“I developed a couple of sample chapters for him. He liked them, but asked me to hold off on any more work because he had something else in the pipeline that would change everything that I was writing. That. ‘something else,’ was Vehicle Simulator, which is what I’d call an Omni sim, since it simulated everything – I could literally drive from my home to the airport, fly to the marina, sail for the afternoon, fly back, and drive home, all in the same sim session. In fact, I wrote this into a sample intro for the Vehicle Simulator manual, that Ilan loved. But, more changes were coming, so why don’t I hold off on the manual until they’re done, so everything’s right.

“He asked me to be a beta tester for a couple of other sims that he was developing. Rocket Simulator was about designing missiles to down terrorist rockets before they destroy your city. Ilan was a Haifa resident, and this was more than a simulator; it was a mitzvah – never did I feel what it’s like to live under constant threat until I played Rocket Simulator.

“Fire Flight was also inspired by events around Haifa, in its case the annual forest fires that menaced the city and outlying towns. You pilot a water bomber with the same flight and atmospheric physics as in Vehicle Simulator, drop your load on a fire, then swing around to a body of water and pick up some more. I suggested that he develop a California scenery to go with his Haifa area, but he was more focused on the water modeling. The water in Fire Flight is head-and-shoulders ahead of Vehicle Simulator’s

“That water became the basis for Virtual Sailor Next Generation. Although it still contains the flying and driving physics modules from Vehicle Simulator, it is intended as a dedicated marine simulator. Since it came out in 2021, Ilan had been improving it constantly, including re-releasing it as 64-bit native. He never lost his dedication to his customers, sometimes turning out extensive revisions to correct what seemed like a little problem in a week or less.

“The last time I wrote to him was on 8 October, 2023, to ask if he and his loved ones were okay after the attack by Hamas. He answered:

“‘Thank you very much for your kind thoughts and words, it is indeed a very difficult time here, me and my loved ones are OK, but my heart is aching from the brutal and senseless massacre of 600 civilians and kidnapping of a 100 more.

“‘I feel it will get worse before it gets better.’

“Ilan was the sole guy working on Virtual Sailor NG and his other products. He did other work, too, because sales from his www.hangsim.com website weren’t enough to pay the bills and build a nest egg for retirement. Like all Israelis, I was certain that he was called on to help the war effort in any way he could. Besides, all of the action was down toward the south of Israel; Haifa was relatively unscathed. I figured I’d avoid contacting him again until things settled down – I figured the last thing he had time for was to answer best wishes.

“On the 9th of February, Ilan was doing what he loved. He took an ICP Savannah LSA up around Meggido – the Armageddon place. An eagle hit the plane, sending it to the ground. Ilan actually survived the wreck, but succumbed to his injuries in the hospital.

“I only found out about it this morning. At first, I didn’t believe the news, and spent an hour verifying it. Every second since then I’ve spent wishing that I had been a better friend. I found a tribute to him over at AvSim, and finally found his obituary in Haipo. It said that he was buried on the 11th, and that he leaves behind a wife and two children - I didn’t even know that he was married or had a family. They will be sitting in his brother’s house at 41 Einstein Street, Haifa. I wonder what the rules are for sitting Shiva in a Saratoga.

“Ilan Papini, father, husband, friend, sim developer, sailor, pilot, gone from us at age 60.

“Killed by the only thing in the skies that knew the thermals better than he did.

“And on this very sad note, I’ll conclude our Daily Update. I’m Elias Pacheco, for Radio Chachapoya, signing off. For God’s sake, be careful in the air.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

If you plan to land on the ocean/sea near the shore, stick with the big stuff. If you're aiming for Lakes and such, the smaller stuff will be better for those locations. Beach/Shore landings are fun in the Kodiak with Wheels, too.

Another choice cor your ocean option is the venerable "Twotter", or Twin Otter...

twin-otter-extended_27_ss_l_131028134520.thumb.jpg.e8dac39ddc6e5e6fed0fce7839612124.jpg

What Scenery is that... looks pretty cool. 

6 hours ago, MAD1 said:

PhrogPhlyer Posted yesterday at 02:57 PM

Helium Heads Unite!!!

I would love to fly an airship. Will research and get one!

There are quite a few available for FS2004, don't know about other sims.

From vintage models

airship_248.thumb.jpg.c6d1a3a0a04a977d1425f887fa6f36df.jpg

to the modern Goodyear blimp.  There's a well detailed Hindenburg, you appear in the passenger lounge (with the big view windows) and must traverse halls and stairways to get to the gondola.  Flying one is a learning experience, no ailerons thus no banking, and everything (except crashes) occurs in slow motion.  Modern blimps do not even have a control yoke, just rudder pedals and a large trim wheel beside the pilot.

18 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

“Ilan Papini, father, husband, friend, sim developer, sailor, pilot, gone from us at age 60.

“Killed by the only thing in the skies that knew the thermals better than he did.

“And on this very sad note, I’ll conclude our Daily Update. I’m Elias Pacheco, for Radio Chachapoya, signing off. For God’s sake, be careful in the air.”

That's so sad, my condolences. Ilan sounds like an amazing guy, and I hope his software lives on so others can remember him through it.

In the meanwhile, I'm afraid I'm out of the FS game for a while. 🙂

Numerous attempts at restoring, with or without Norton's assistance, have failed totally, and the only answer is to re-install FSX, SP1, SP2 and Acceleration, and I don't have the Accel DVD with me, nor a working cable for my DVD drive.

I'll keep an eye on here, but I can't fly for a while, sorry guys.

Regards

Kit

6 hours ago, MAD1 said:

would have probably dipped out in Alaska

I thought I would have to abort the flight when I reached Siberia.  Was planning the flight one leg at a time using Destination Finder to select the next airport and a conservative range of 750 miles, got to the first stop in Siberia and there was nothing within 750 miles unless I turned back.  I knew the plane was good for 850 miles at normal cruise, so tried 800 miles, nothing;  850 miles, still nothing;  900 miles, not even a little farm strip;  then using a 950 mile range there was an airport roughly 920 miles away.   Fuel consumption at minimal cruise settings (155kt instead of 180, low rpm, mixture as lean as practical) showed she just might make 950 miles;  I landed with about 20 minutes of fuel remaining.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbasil_1 said:

What Scenery is that... looks pretty cool. 

Couldn't tell 'ya; was just looking for a Twotter on Floats, and that was what I found.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

Ilan Papini, father, husband, friend, sim developer, sailor, pilot, gone from us at age 60.

I send my deepest condolences for the loss of your friend.  60 is no age to leave this world.

I shall say a prayer for him.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 5:31 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

I have this book in my library and this oversight makes me question the level of research for the whole book!

I've attached the simplest and detailed overview I've found for Marine Helicopters in Vietnam.

Mobility War - Marine Helicopter Operation Vietnam.pdf 6.12 MB · 3 downloads

That's certainly a great link.  And from what I've read of it to date. it seems very accurate.

My point is, it hugely hacks me off that someone going to all the trouble of publishing a several pound coffee table book about aviation history would ignore such an important part of Vietnam War or even Marine Corps chopper history as the 46 obviously is!   And no H-47s and H-46's are not the same aircraft. In fact the H-46 was the first of that type, not the 47.

It would be dishonest to ignore Omaha Beach or B-27s in a history of WWII in Europe and it is dishonest to ignore the importance of H-46s in Vietnam.  Especially when you consider what such a hefty tome must cost to buy!  

I'm upset my library tax money went into a book that obviously inaccurate!  And as wrong as that book is on something as simple as ignoring a hugely important chopper, without having been there and done that who's to say anything else in the entire book is remotely accurate either?? 

I consider that book as having printed lying or at best inaccurate history.  It's not as ignorant as calling any US veteran serving or who served in Vietnam a Baby Killer of course, but it is still inaccurate! 

While in the Corps I enjoyed most of my time flying H-34s. and was petrified of mechanical failure during my unwanted time as a passenger in a HH-37,  But my point is there were way too many H-46 combat hours flown by Marines in Vietnam and in other hot spots around the world for them to be ignored by such a major publication altogether!! 

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

4 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

My heartfelt condolences for the loss of your friend.  His family will be in my prayers during this difficult time.  60 was much too young to lose him.

4 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

I'm afraid I'm out of the FS game for a while. 

I'm really sorry to hear that, Kit.  If there's anything we can do to help you restore your system, we're all in (I'm certain I speak for everyone here when I say that).  I know nothing about FSX installation, but with FS9, I have the installation DVD's copied to the hard disk and I run fresh installs from there.  It's quicker and you don't have to babysit the drive.  Might this work with Acceleration, or must it be installed from a DVD?

18 minutes ago, Rupert said:

it hugely hacks me off that someone going to all the trouble of publishing a several pound coffee table book about aviation history would ignore such an important part

As an insatiable reader I've noticed this trend in more and more history/reference books over the past forty years.  The problem is usually hack authors.  These are freelance people who accept contract work from publishers, often on topics for which they have no prior experience;  they do minimal research, enough to sound authoritative, and meet a deadline. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rupert said:

it hugely hacks me off that someone going to all the trouble of publishing a several pound coffee table book about aviation history would ignore such an important part of Vietnam War or even Marine Corps chopper history

It's so hard to get published, and it hugely hacks me off that some idiot who forgets to mention such an important part of aviation history gets a contract.  A pox on both the writer and the publishing house!

7 minutes ago, jgf said:

As an insatiable reader I've noticed this trend in more and more history/reference books over the past forty years.  The problem is usually hack authors.  These are freelance people who accept contract work from publishers, often on topics for which they have no prior experience;  they do minimal research, enough to sound authoritative, and meet a deadline. 

Don't get me started... whoops, too late.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rupert said:

But my point is there were way too many H-46 combat hours flown by Marines in Vietnam and in other hot spots around the world for them to be ignored by such a major publication altogether!! 

+1

phrog x 2.jpg

42 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

I'm really sorry to hear that, Kit.  If there's anything we can do to help you restore your system, we're all in (I'm certain I speak for everyone here when I say that).  I know nothing about FSX installation, but with FS9, I have the installation DVD's copied to the hard disk and I run fresh installs from there.  It's quicker and you don't have to babysit the drive.  Might this work with Acceleration, or must it be installed from a DVD?

Thanks for the mental support Tom, and I like that idea about copying the DVD to the hard disk, I can't imagine why I didn't do that ages ago, specially as I now have 2 TB of SDD on my laptop.

It may well work with Accel too, and it's worth a try.

Hope is on the horizon as I've found my DVDs, both sets, and I have a new DVD drive coming by tomorrow lunchtime.

If all else fails, throw money at it. 🙂

• Like 2

Regards

Kit

46 minutes ago, jgf said:

These are freelance people who accept contract work from publishers, often on topics for which they have no prior experience;  they do minimal research, enough to sound authoritative, and meet a deadline. 

I've read plenty of those, and you can tell by the self-hyped hyperbole in the first few paragraphs of the into.

phrog x 2.jpg

21 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

If all else fails, throw money at it. 

OMG, Kit's a closet government contractor!

• Haha 1

phrog x 2.jpg

6 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

Ilan Papini, father, husband, friend, sim developer, sailor, pilot, gone from us at age 60.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/642290-passing-of-ilan-papini/

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

On 2/25/2024 at 10:57 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Helium Heads Unite!!!

A couple past pics in FSX.

image.thumb.jpeg.0c5a5c9fc83cc8abcc624e6c672da95c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff19712f6a6df3e6a105311298e1f6b6.jpeg

• Like 2

phrog x 2.jpg