The 2024 Australian Air Rally - The FBO

TomPenDragon

I set off on the Great Australian Trek Eastward y'day (UK time) with loads of other AI aircraft on the ramp at Jandakot to watch me make a hash of the take-off. 🙂 

Leg01-a.jpg.fb2d725d80410c94172ad00af4461671.jpg

As luck would have it I trailed one of them out to the runway threshold, not something that usually happens and it made a nice change having to wait till he cleared the area. Luckily my take-off wasn't too ham fisted as I've updated the Sealand's .cfg file and it's lot more stable in pitch now.

Heading out across Western Australia made for some interesting views, it's NOTHING like the UK, quite a number of low houses spread over quite large areas, but then there's a lot more space there! I did spot a lovely looking lake off to the south west and thought I might do a 'splash and go' on it, but that would have screwed up my timing. I'll have more chances to do that on the Eastern Legs.

Leg01-b.jpg.9316b1edf4cb1d9d9390699f9fbe5718.jpg

Heading further south east the scenery started to resemble that on our Route 66 Rally in that was FLAT, but a little more varied in texture. I was cruising at 5000 ft and overtook an AI Piper Warrior en route, the first time that's happened to me on one of these Rallies, and I guessed he was heading for Katanning too. Perhaps he was on our Rally as well? 🙂

Leg01-c.jpg.40cd34581a1b1856b4d49440cc01abef.jpg

In less than an hour I was getting ready to start my descent and I'd had a LOT of trouble keeping to a constant, predictable cruise speed, so I was hoping to get closer to my estimated timing on the descent, no such luck though. 😒

Leg01-d.jpg.39e8aec26f9441e12319f7d3534d0dff.jpg

I got nicely lined up on the only runway at YKNG but the actual landing had best be left to your imagination, it wasn't one of my best........

After taxying onto the ramp I turned 'Austral Rose' around and went to report to Flight Ops, such as they were (a small shed on the other side of the ramp...) and on the way back to my aircraft the Warrior came into land! Another first for me, I've never noticed an AI aircraft do that unless it was at a massive airport like Sydney or Heathrow. The Warrior turned off the runway and headed for the ramp, only to stop and shut down right in the entrance! 😯

Quite how he expects me to get past him on the way out I've no idea.

Leg01-e.thumb.jpg.21ae20af6be36b28667e9e1f28e90fc8.jpg

Off to Norsman tomorrow, which will be a bit of a longer flight, and hopefully more chance to get the cruise speed sorted out.

• Like 2

Regards

Kit

I'm now (1/16) at YNSM.  Since the time here is about 12 hours off of what I'm used to, and KY is about 10*F,  I'm still having problems with the sleep and heat issues during Australian Summer.  

Yesterday I ended up napping for a few hours at YKNJ.  Then onward to YNSM.  I'll make a flight to the YCAG marker today, since I find no airstrip in P3D it'll be a flyover only.  Then probably head on to YFRT.

I'm taking screenies but they're hiding someplace on the hard drive & I can't find so I haven't posted any yet,

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

59 minutes ago, Rupert said:

I'm now (1/16) at YNSM.  Since the time here is about 12 hours off of what I'm used to, and KY is about 10*F,  I'm still having problems with the sleep and heat issues during Australian Summer.

Rupert, are you actually flying on Australian time, or is this story line?

1 hour ago, jgf said:

Not sure how to do the timing so I'm just flying point to point, touch-and-go at each airport to reset the timer, full stop when fuel is needed.

That's actually a good way to do it - it takes away any doubt about when you're directly over a waypoint.  You just need to make sure you leave enough time in a multi-leg flight plan for the approaches and getting up to altitude again.

• Like 1

The Daily Update

(Cue “She Sells Sanctuary”)

EP: “Hello and welcome to the Daily Update for the 16th of January, 2024. I’m Elias Pacheco, and we’re underway. Today I’m broadcasting from Katanning, the first waypoint along the racecourse. It’s another beautiful day in Australia. Temperatures are in the mid to upper 20’s – around 80° for those of the Fahrenheit persuasion, skies are mostly clear, but it’s windy up there, at least on my run from Jandakot to here.

“We are broadcasting on a new channel today – Radio Chachapoya can now be found on the ‘Stories’ setting on your radio dial, now that we’re underway. So let’s take a look at the Leaderboard for this morning, shall we:

GAAGLB116.thumb.jpg.4fa21064674526a793913a5a4df2c010.jpg

“defaid and dj are well underway, having already reached Forrest in their Piper Arrow. On a single tank, as well – that’s really stretching it. And they’ve done it with a Cumulative Variance of zero at YFRT. The new timing system seems to agree with them, as they are ahead both on V’s and on legs completed. Keep it up, you two.

“The Bosss has recovered sufficiently from his marathon flight from the Western UK to Perth to fly the first leg in his Sealand. He has a +3 so far.

“ScottishMike has just arrived in his Mooney. My phone’s buzzing… let’s see… Mike is reporting a +9. Plenty of time to make that up.

“As for our free fliers, Rupert has been following the route and, after a stop for a nap in Katanning, he has gone on to Norseman. I’ll be heading that way myself, but first:

“We’re here in Katanning with The Bosss – no, not Mr. Springsteen, why would I want to interview that one? He’s only got two S’s. I only interview Bossses with three S’s and up. He is here getting his magnificent Shorts Sealand, ‘Austral Rose,’ ready for today’s run. Good morning Bosss! Thanks for giving us a little time. How are you doing today?”

Bosss: “I'm doing pretty well thanks, had a good night's sleep after yesterday’s flight and looking forward to getting further into Australia today.”

EP: “How was yesterday’s run? Were you able to get things squared with that person in the Warrior who parked blocking the taxiway – I can only assume that they were a student whose flight instructor urgently needs to teach about ramp etiquette?”

B: “It was pretty good yesterday, but having lots of problems keeping constant speed in the cruise with the Sealand. Those Gypsy Queen engines date back a while, before WWII even, and they take some babying along. I had a 'free and frank' exchange of views with the guy in the Warrior, and he agreed it would be a good idea for ALL concerned if he didn't park right in the entrance to the ramp... “

EP: “So, where’re you heading today?”

B: “Today I should end up at Norseman, a rather strange looking place right on the shore of a huge lake, but apparently it would not be a good idea for me to make a water landing with 'Austral Rose' there. The 'water' isn't exactly pure.…”

EP: “The ‘Austral Rose’ – she’s a beautiful restoration. Can you tell our listeners a little about her?”

B: “She's a 1950s era British amphibian, built by Short Bros. as a 5-7 seat feeder liner, but the market didn't really exist and Shorts only built 25 of them. 'Austral Rose' was found in a Yugoslavian hangar while some of Albion Airline's staff were carrying out one of our confidential missions for the British Government… uh, my lips are sealed on what that was all about of course... and our CEO Les Jones, arranged to buy her, shipped her back to UK and restored her to flying condition by 2002. Since then she's served my Special Operations Division well as she 's the only amphibian we have in the fleet.”

EP: “She’s not a traditional choice for the race. What made you pick the Sealand?”

B: “I've always liked amphibians, and when the idea of the extended Eastern legs of the Rally/Race came on I took a look at some of the stops. Many of them were close to water and I figured an amphibian would be just the job. And of course I had her ready to go in my hangar at our main base at Tain in Scotland.”

EP: “And you flew her from Tain to Perth, and have such great stories about the trip. Over 10,000 miles! I flew my Saratoga Prototype from Pennsylvania to Perth, but she cruises like a Cadillac – a shout-out to my sponsors at Piper, and their performance division who have given me such great support. How is Austral Rose on the long runs? What’s the biggest challenge she presents?”

B: “Trying to find a stable cruise altitude for her wasn't easy, as with the big 100 gallon tank in the cabin her CG is right on the aft limit and she's pretty unstable in pitch. I modified the control leverages during the many stops on the ferry run, and she's a bit better now, but her speed control is never good. I imagine my timings for the Rally/Race will be way off my estimates to start with as a result”.

EP: “I’ll let you get to it, then. Thank you very much, Bossspecops. Have a successful and safe flying day – the winds were rather vicious from ground level on up when I was coming in, so you and all the other participants take extra care.

“And that is it for today’s Daily Update. Thanks again to the Bosss for talking with us. I’m Elias Pacheco for Radio Chachapoya, signing off for now. Fly safely, folks. Mind the winds. Bye, bye for now”

• Like 1

“Nice morning for flying” I held the current forecast in hand.

WeathertodayYPJT.jpg.f980a29f6490fa50e7267fcbbeb4596a.jpg

Professor Perth and Wombat Willie nodded without any obvious interest or conviction. They shuffled around their bags next to the Mooney. I stowed their stuff in the luggage area behind the rear seats.

“Visited the little boys room?” It was only an hours' flight but getting caught short is not pleasant and can be embarrassing.

“Yes they both nodded.”

“First time in a small plane?”

Platypus Perth nodded, his assistant followed his lead “Yes..” he replied.

Readytogo.thumb.jpg.59507548fa3423da756fb2557f4f9d1b.jpg

We all buckled in, the Prof in the right seat, Willie behind.

Cleared for taxi we held next to 060L waiting for take off clearance.

I had determined 50% fuel would be plenty for all legs and unless the runway was very short no flaps were required.

Clearance given we accelerated down the strip of asphalt, the Prof gripping his belt so hard I thought he might shred it. Take off at 09:57

Takeoff09_57.thumb.jpg.d23483ba61df3703fd52660cd3d27f72.jpg

No time to worry about my passengers I took us to 3000' heading 142 degrees.

trimmedfor3000heading142degrees.thumb.jpg.588c142435cfb3c2541a7150bc3b1571.jpg

“Can I take my belt off now?” Platypus asked.

“No, please keep it on all the time, it's safer if we hit turbulence.”

“You said it was a nice day to fly, are you expecting turbulence?”

I realized this passenger, that was covering petrol and other expenses, was very probably going to be a pain in the rear end. Still, nothing I could do about it now.

Settelinginto140Kts18HG2400RPM14galHr.thumb.jpg.e5f5ad27324028316d441ba0fab89491.jpg

I settled the craft into a steady 140 Kts. Cruise. 18 HG manifold pressure and 2400 RPM. Fuel consumption settled at 14 gallons / hour.

A few minutes into the cruise the Prof took his headset off turning to Wombat Willie. They seemed to be seriously discussing something, I couldn't tell what as I had my head set on. They both referred to a sheet of notes Willie held. Then stared out at the ground below. I poked the Prof and shouted “looking for something?”

“No.” he shouted back.

We droned on, passengers staring intently at the ground below.

Twenty minutes to run and patches of mist developing

Mistdeveloping.thumb.jpg.146b9aa87f1e6020b10c783c9f8413b3.jpg

It reminded me of what in Scotland we call Haar, sea fog to others, happens when the warm air over land encounters cold air over sea (North Sea in Scotland) here probably the Southern Ocean. It can spread up to 50 miles inland.

Landingconfigmist.thumb.jpg.0014218f5c339a85e8727f20f5ccdaf3.jpg

I should be able to spot Katanning by now, I had turned onto a 70 degree heading to be lined up for the runway. Finally spotted rwy 70 IT WAS NOT EASY TO SPOT!

Fulllandingconfigspotted.thumb.jpg.790be5f48d524a4957fbec9bdf7d5faf.jpg

On short final:

Shortfinal.jpg.f9cd0fed17780206efcfa5f3096d5825.jpg

Safely down at 11:06, I had estimated an hour so should have landed at 10:57 I was 9 minutes over estimate:

Safelydown11_06.jpg.4f437e04d461630c5b81e8faff2d9f5e.jpg

We parked up on the one patch of hard sun baked earth.

SafelydowninYKNGKatanning.thumb.jpg.46b5003f4b42bedb00a278ea9bdeddb7.jpg

The Prof and Wombat made for the toilets animatedly discussing something or other. Time to prepare for the next leg.

• Like 2

Phew... three legs today, now to rest then sort out pics/comment/etc.

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

AU1_1.jpg.8f7ee9a9d1f74b8f9d4ff1d85ab69759.jpg

the initial leg

of our Down Under journey

all systems normal

The Lady stretches her legs

taking in her surroundings

Leg #1: YJPT - YKNG

T/O: 0935

T/D: 1029

ET: 54:28 (+4)

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

After almost 13000 miles, winding her way through mountains, dealing with frozen gravel runways in Alaska, 1600 miles across Siberia in winter, rain forests of Borneo, hundreds of miles across open ocean, and even getting to Australia on time, this old Staggerwing thought the Australia flight would be a walk in the park.  She neglected to consider the ineptitude of the pilot, who forgot to note the mileage of the second leg, had no destination for the fourth leg (so had to save the flight, install the scenery, and return), and was then halfway to YCAG before noticing the timer wasn't running.   After a thorough inventory of my vast repertoire of unacceptable language I shut down my virtual world;  that's what I get for flying late at night after a busy day.

contestants depart

spreading out along the route

finding adventure

awaiting them every day

what will the weather offer

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

After an interesting interview with Elias this morning I got the Sealand prepped for the next Leg of the Race/Rally/Tour to Norsman. I'd been warned that the 'scenery' en route was not quite what I'd expect, and were they ever right! 😯

Having persuaded the Warrior pilot to move his aeroplane somewhere more convenient I taxied 'Austral Rose' out, and thanks to her short field performance (but not quite in the same area as my Lysander...) I got off using the northern sector of YKNG's single runway as was soon climbing up and away.

Leg02-a.jpg.28186a95e9da39981022148e98efcd81.jpg

I thought that runway was difficult to see on the approach, but worse was to come....

The broad flat tan scenery of this part of Australia was soon changed by a rather strange sight looming over the horizon. There looked to be a HUGE lake spreading from north to south right across my flight path, a most unlikely sight in these desert like parts I thought.

Leg02-b.jpg.af96b9601c5dad48c543a66419d271e0.jpg

But having reached the 'lake' there was an even more bizarre sight beyond it!

Leg02-c.jpg.24363c841b73bfef250af378c42ced7b.jpg

Acres and acres of what seemed to be huge salt pans spread all over the place, and checking with my local geography books it seemed they were the tailings from the gold mines that abounded in this part of the continent. This sort of view repeated itself time after time as I headed toward Norsman, culminating in the truly VAST 'lake' at Norsman itself! It's just coming over the horizon on this view taken from the cockpit.

Leg02-d.jpg.c05cc3ea7e31b6776c4765b8d3ea065e.jpg

Turning toward the lake's northern end to land up wind, the Noseman field should be about where the red arrow is on the east side of the lake.

Leg02-e.jpg.38f9be52d76ae7c6eda8db793c92f481.jpg

And turning south across the lake showed just how desolate it looked, and why I was advised NOT to try and land on it. Apparently it was likely that it would corrode clean through my hull before I had time to taxi to the bank!

Leg02-f.jpg.bd700b00b14acf887ed5e72270b0967c.jpg

After a short approach I could JUST catch sight of the north-south dirt runway at Norsman, but it wasn't easy.

Leg02-g.jpg.f00c17b5256c90497faf549ec1e80198.jpg

Oddly the runway was closely fenced  in on both sides and I had to turn to the ramp through a gate in the fences that weren't designed to take seaplanes wing floats into account, and my floats neatly removed a section of the fence each side of the gate. I'll 'enter into a negotiating posture' with the authorities here later on...

Leg02-h.jpg.32689c0ca04239a70ca7a2770ae54545.jpg

The Flights Op offices here could best be described as 'basic', it's just that caravan and tent right there alongside me! But the town itself is just a short stroll away and I'll be resting up there before heading on eastwards. I hope it's a bit prettier the further on I go.

• Like 1

Regards

Kit

The Chacapoya Chronicle. Travel section. The 2024 recreated 1976 Benson and Hedges Australian Air Race. Report 1. By your Aussie Correspondent.

Your faithful correspondent has been off duty since last week. (Pesky Real World, RW, matters have interferred, including that annoyance, RW work to pay the bills. I work Mon - Wed, plus wife arrived back Sat after 3.5 months round the world trip, 15 hours direct flight on Delta Airlines, Los Angeles to Sydney, then Sydney to Ballina. Hence part of the reason for your correspondent needing to work.)

According to correspondence received at the Travel News desk, including listening to Radio Chacapoya, it's been a quite start to the race. We now see that the Leaderboard is starting to be populated. As has been stated by the race organisers, there is plenty of time to do the race, it was never a requirement for participants to commence on 15 Jan.

Sometime in the next four days, your faithfull correspondent will file Report 2, including more in the theme 'Aussie Culture' and a note about the airports after Forrest through to Parafield (Adelaide). Please feel free dear reader to send any questions to this newspaper and your correspondent will attempt to answer them.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 9:09 AM, TomPenDragon said:

Rupert, are you actually flying on Australian time, or is this story line?

The temp part is story line.  I'm still in Ky.  But the time line is correct in Australia.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:56 AM, jgf said:

Not sure how to do the timing so I'm just flying point to point, touch-and-go at each airport to reset the timer, full stop when fuel is needed.

I agree.  I'm also taking screenies, especially like at KCAG station.  Sadly, I can't find them yet.  Once I do I'll post a bunch.

23 minutes ago, Rupert said:

The temp part is story line.  I'm still in Ky.  But the time line is correct in Australia.

Good story!  I was imagining you booting up your sim after dinner and flying all night (it would make the real weather temperatures make more sense).

21 minutes ago, Rupert said:

I agree.  I'm also taking screenies, especially like at KCAG station.  Sadly, I can't find them yet.  Once I do I'll post a bunch.

I'm looking forward to the screenie drop.  Weird how you can't find them.  A search of your system for any *.jpg/*.png/*.bmp sorted by date descending doesn't turn up anything, not even in a temp directory?  Boot up a sim, try a screenshot or two, and run the search again?  Did the problem start right after a Windows update (the Keyser Söse of usual suspects)? 

VOZ does a great job at many places for airports/airfield and landclass, however OZ is a big place.

Noresman is a strange one. It has the perimeter there, and some runway/taxiway signs, half an apron and thats it. 

There's a WA airport package that has it. However its dirt but a quick update to change to ashpalt on 01/19 with the correct markings is easy. 
The landclass around it is average or non-existent. . Some photoreal would work well there. 

• Like 1

The Daily Update

(Cue “She Sells Sanctuary”)

EP: “Hello and welcome to our Daily Update for the 17th of January, 2024. I’m Elias Pacheco for Radio Chachapoya, and if it’s noisy, it’s because I’m flying. Yesterday afternoon, I flew out to Forrest to see if I could get a hold of defaid and dj. I got in a little too late and headed out this morning a little too early to catch them, I suppose, but I did see their Piper Arrow number 303 on the ramp. This morning I flew to Norseman to get a look of the refuse pits that the Bosss described in his report, then on to Jandakot for fuel and brunch. Things were quiet in Perth, with the notable absence of VP2 and his Lady – he is the fourth participant to have started the race. And on that note, let’s take a look at the Leaderboard, as it stands today:

GAAGLB117.thumb.jpg.9856ba55b4fa88c6f114657c3f304cc7.jpg

“Eagle-eyed observers will notice a quirk in today’s Leaderboard. Bosss, with a Cumulative V of 8, is being shown ahead of ViperPilot2, with 4. The reason for this is that the Board is first sorted on a non-displayed column, which divides Cumulative V by the number of legs complete, and then by the number of legs completed. Since the Bosss has completed two legs for a total Cumulative V of 8 and VP2 has a Cum. V of 4 after 1 leg, the result of the non-displayed column for each is the same: 4. Both results being equal, the second sort criteria, which is descending, applies, and since Bosss has completed two legs and VP2 1, Bosss is shown ahead.

“Bear in mind that this is only an interim result, very early on in the race. As more results are posted, this quirk will iron itself out. Since the final race results will be determined by Cumulative V, with negative numbers having been flipped positive for sorting purposes – else a negative result would beat a zero – and by completion date should two competitors finish with the same Cum.V, this quirk will not affect the outcome of the race.

“That explained, probably in much more technical detail than most of our listeners would care to hear, here’s how those who have already started the race are faring:

“As I mentioned at the top of the broadcast, the crew of the 303 are still in YFRT. Yesterday afternoon, they amended their timing for the Norseman leg, from +1 to -1, making their total so far a -2 but not affecting their position at the top of the Leaderboard. Honorable people acting honorably.

“ViperPilot2 completed his first leg to Katanning aboard The Lady, arriving 4 minutes behind schedule and, despite how the Leaderboard reflects it, securing the number 2 slot. He celebrated with a little senryú, bringing a little culture and class to the Gaggle.

“Bossspecops is in third and in Norseman after his second leg, with a Cum.V of 8. Despite the temptation to get his feet wet, he resisted landing in the toxic lake by the airstrip. This was probably a very good idea. If I may make a menu suggestion, don’t have the fish.

“And ScottishMike is in Katenning with VP2 and with a Cum.V – and please, it’s pronounced, ‘Cewm;’ I can hear the Beavis and Butt-head snickers over the engine and through the headphones every time I say the abbreviation – of 9. What he might not have anymore is passengers – before his Mooney’s propeller stopped turning yesterday, his friends from the university bolted from the plane and made a beeline for the latrines, both seeming quite agitated. Small aircraft aren’t for everybody, I guess.

“And so, this concludes our fourth race day at the Daily Update. This is Elias Pacheco – now following the route again and nearing Caiguna, and I may just run into PhrogPhlyer here, who squawked that he has completed three legs but has yet to post anything officially – for Radio Chachapoya, signing off. Have a great day, everyone!”

"Cewm". Heh heh heh... he said " cewm". Heh heh heh...

R.thumb.jpeg.ebabbd0b62da39daec26fdd264a3fcb2.jpeg

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG