The 2024 Australia Rally...

ViperPilot2

Well folks, I'm in Australia;  resting up after a 976 mile flight from Surabaya to Barrow Island.

Leaving WRSJ  (Destination Finder says WARR but flight planner says WRSJ, whatever it's called I found it)

depart_wrsj.jpg.cbafecc68ac28ceb123f50c88fe402f3.jpg

Mt. Bromo is an active volcano with summit around 8000ft, as I'm still climbing out I decide to skirt it rather than follow my flight path over it.

skirt_mountain.jpg.7d08d8baf3350832c3995682a60bafa2.jpg

mount2.jpg.d63e82b20326b0981100fafe555efe4c.jpg

The real thing

mt-bromo_sm.jpg.9aa0f87f114d11acfd50d5040be89a59.jpg

Rest of flight was over the ocean, I'm sure everyone knows what that looks like ...mile after mile after mile.

Blasted GPS course was taking me too far west and telling me Barrow was still over 200 miles away (remaining fuel good for 230 miles) but map showed Barrow was only 120 miles away, almost due south.  So reprogram the GPS direct to YBWX and loop down to an easy landing.

barrow.jpg.7bc7d7b2ff05ac0c2d6ee50125290552.jpg

A lone Mooney for company

ybwx.jpg.43ab7d1f5d9f6e17630a9928282b7923.jpg

Five and a half hours

done.jpg.432c2ca4499304e29c4e6a7062c787c6.jpg

Will be in YPJT tomorrow, approximately 800 miles to go.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jgf said:

Well folks, I'm in Australia;  resting up after a 976 mile flight from Surabaya to Barrow Island.

BRILLIANT flight, and in a single engined bi-plane too! 👍

What's the name of that timer gauge you have in the centre of your panel please? I like the look of it a bit better than the Davtron I have at the moment.

• Like 1

Regards

Kit

4 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

What's the name of that timer gauge

That is the Supertimer2 by Glenn Copeland;  displays local or zulu time and has two independent timers.  Though mine is repainted since the dark grey is a better match for some panels than the default.

• Like 2

Man my body has not adapted well to this time change.  The watch on my arm says it's about 11:40 on the 15th in Kentucky.  But the clocks here at YPJT say it's about 00:40 on the 16th.  But the 70F here beats the heck out of the 07F back home!  Lots of rallye folks still around though some of them left yesterday (local time of the 15th).  

Since I can't sleep I guess I'll head out and get some night flying hours.  I'll probably make it to YNSM before I'm ready for a nap.

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

10 hours ago, Macroburst said:

Perseverance!

Enjoying the race despite my engine overhaul.

Hope to join the next event!

Cheers

Macro 

We'd love to have you! In the meantime,  join our Club! It'll be where we Post after this Event concludes, and where future Events will take place! 😀

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, Rupert said:

Man my body has not adapted well to this time change.  The watch on my arm says it's about 11:40 on the 15th in Kentucky.  But the clocks here at YPJT say it's about 00:40 on the 16th.  But the 70F here beats the heck out of the 07F back home!  Lots of rallye folks still around though some of them left yesterday (local time of the 15th).  

Since I can't sleep I guess I'll head out and get some night flying hours.  I'll probably make it to YNSM before I'm ready for a nap.

Nope, I didn't make it that far.  I made a loop to check out Perth then headed for YKNG.  Got tired and landed on that little dirt strip and I'm ready to bunk out,  Besides it's pretty stormy out, don't want to catch a lightning bolt.

I've taken several screen shots but can't find them, ???  I've found shots that are years old but can't find any from today.  If I figure out where they went I'll include them. 

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

2 hours ago, jgf said:

That is the Supertimer2 by Glenn Copeland;  displays local or zulu time and has two independent timers.  Though mine is repainted since the dark grey is a better match for some panels than the default.

Thanks JGF, I'll have a closer look at it. 👍

• Like 1

Regards

Kit

14 minutes ago, Macroburst said:

Thank you Viper.

Glad to be here!

🖖 😄

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

18 minutes ago, jgf said:

12,954 miles, approximately 63 hours flight time.

trip.thumb.jpg.ff4f09f315292e534f4f9f15d4d793c4.jpg

Excellent Flight, and a wonderful Travelogue to go along with it! 

We're very glad you made it safe and sound! Have a bite, get some Z's, and we'll see you out there!

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 1/14/2024 at 8:52 PM, ViperPilot2 said:

What Altitude are you flying at? Remember to lean the Mixture above 3K'... maybe get you a couple knot increase.

6000 feet and at stoichiometric. We'd planned 3000 until it transpired that I'd got the wrong route but 3000 doesn't give the endurance/range for the correct route. Many test flights to find a combination of throttle, mix, prop and altitude that gave us a fighting chance of arriving at Forrest while still being able to see some detail on the ground...

Didn't want the complication of refuelling en route.

Leaning starts in the cleanup. The plane goes faster when somewhat rich but economy plummets.

Now that the 2024 Australia Rally has officially started, I'm going to Lock this Thread.

Please join us either at the OFFICIAL Rally Thread, the FBO, or the Stories threads...

https://www.flightsim.com/forums/topic/59484-the-2024-australian-air-rally-official/#comment-310731

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG