The 2024 Australia Rally...

ViperPilot2

4 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

The Daily Update

As of this report, we have not heard anything further from jgf or Bossspecops. 

Yeah, I had to get up at silly o'clock this morning to go and see my two brothers in London, the younger one of which is flying off to Goa tomorrow for real.....

And I 'flew' there the other day too! 🙂

I did another two leg day y'day, Leg 8 from Goa Navy (VAGO) to Colombo in Sri Lanka on another mega-boring leg to a field in the north of Indonesia (WITT), the whole leg being over water! Again it was late when I got there, total darkness in fact, so yet another night landing. I'll get good at this eventually.

Ferry-l.jpg.7551835eb41b2ce371a8a10c519a54d8.jpg

On finals for Colombo, the biggest city I've flown to so far.

Ferry-m.jpg.cfa0964b7ff068d06b1e8867198107bb.jpg

The impressive Tower and Admin Bldg at Colombo.

Ferry-n.jpg.d4222e45954d2d0e6847b5f98cf35a5e.jpg

Yet another night landing. And there's that damn tree right on the runway centre-line AGAIN!

I may take a day off now as I'm only 3-4 legs away from Perth, but the next Leg does go to Bali............... 😉

• Like 2

Regards

Kit

Several commented on photos of this Staggerwing, so here it is (still a WIP, that cowling is a royal PITA because textures are distorted on it)

vhuxp_wip.jpg.b42af10d9a9ab98df0d8b5cfaed8a7d1.jpg

vhuxp_wip2.jpg.90cdf5161cb686bfc532566e3b7b5d62.jpg

vhuxp_wip3.jpg.01fea61228bce024f17d0dfd798071e5.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, RL.  What a chore.  Contractors had to take out the entire ceiling of my bathroom, then plumbers had to replace 90% of the bathroom plumbing in the apartment above me, then the inspectors came to nitpick, then the drywall contractors had to replace the ceiling, then the inspectors got to nitpick again.

And my Staggerwing is getting refueled in Russia.

An early morning start, takeoff with full fuel, no flaps, at 50kts.

takeoff_50kts.jpg.8f3b3ccf6cf2b4382c0b5ff1e449efa6.jpg

on_the_way.jpg.93049971046777162bb68167ed37f763.jpg

Passing over Kotzebue (sounds like a name from Mad magazine) and heading over the Bering Strait.

kotzebue.jpg.ff245d9ea7c9285c7db73b4cd44e7da3.jpg

Is Russia or the US building a wall here?  This anomaly stretches from horizon to horizon.

what.jpg.c3588a9b3248332d071abebcb4afe48f.jpg

Twelve miles from Ugolny.

12miles.jpg.68b7299d6860167ef849d4be09b34ddb.jpg

Down.  I know the city is on the other side of the river but this is rather ...spartan ...for an international airport by any standards.

down2.jpg.687f6ff2f5cc89ae1af889f5b6d8d3ff.jpg

This is it for UHMA.  Daylight finally caught up with me.

this_is_it.jpg.963511dc6434e13cff1805666cfe5aa2.jpg

FWIW, this is the real Ugolny

Anadyr-Ugolny-August2006.jpg.a7ba0bd496fb3595639c7f971b02d9a4.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JSMR said:

I found out the problem. Its a flying BOAT and it doesn't work on land as it has no WHEELS!!!

BAHAHAHAHA. So silly of me. 

ok, next option coming up...

Hey,

You never know if you don't try things!  People laughed at the Spruce Goose as well.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

3 hours ago, Rupert said:

I was pretty active in the Sports Car Club of America.

I started in SCCA summer of 1970, worked up to Transam, provisional waiver for IMSA, drove whatever i could get seat time in.  Then "discovered" SVRA and HRS and spent twenty years there.  But the "dismal iniquities of age" made me hang up my helmet.

21 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I'll stick with the HondaJet and the Phenom I found in the Library... that's plenty for BizzyJets.

And the HondaJet comes complete with Me Ling as a 2nd pilot.  Sadly, her mom sits all frumped up in the cabin in back so you need to sneak to get any loving, but she's worth it! 😜

19 minutes ago, jgf said:

I started in SCCA summer of 1970, worked up to Transam, provisional waiver for IMSA, drove whatever i could get seat time in.  Then "discovered" SVRA and HRS and spent twenty years there.  But the "dismal iniquities of age" made me hang up my helmet.

Yeah, I raced a '71 240Z for a while, and played with Bob Sharp Racing.  Then I decided to slow down a bit so I ran a 56 TR-3, not a 3A, a ":small mouth" TR-3 for a few years.   

Now the only fun ride I have is a supercharged 200+ rear wheel horse-powered NB Miata.  And it's street legal.  I love to surprise some of the locals.  But it stays garaged in the winter.

1 hour ago, Rupert said:

Yeah, I raced a '71 240Z for a while, and played with Bob Sharp Racing.  Then I decided to slow down a bit so I ran a 56 TR-3, not a 3A, a ":small mouth" TR-3 for a few years.   

Now the only fun ride I have is a supercharged 200+ rear wheel horse-powered NB Miata.  And it's street legal.  I love to surprise some of the locals.  But it stays garaged in the winter.

I have a '96 F-150. It drives plenty fast enough for me. I got all that extreme Speed and Gonzo 4 Wheeling out of my system way long ago, before the Turn of the Century. Road Pizza and broken bones take longer to heal when you're older, too.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

After a long night at the Pearce Air Force Base Officers Club, Capt. Doovalacky saunters out to the flight line to make one last check of his aircraft before taking off to reposition to Jandakot.

When he gets to the helicopter is he met by his flight line crew, who were about to load his "essentials."

Wanting to appropriately thank ALL of them for their efforts, he has the essentials sent to the O'club.

Then throwing his arms around his crew, and wearing a smile bigger than a boomerang, they heads over to the O'club to discuss a rescheduling of his departure.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

9 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

This is an ambulance!

Given our dilemma I did some research and made some phone calls.  It just so happens that Jandakot is a RFDS Base and they would be happy to help out.  (They especially liked the 'Robin Miller' connection).  Feel free to move the Citation over to their hanger at your convenience Airbasil and if you happen to have any Swiss chocolate with you ... all the better!

Oh ... they said they were a little short staffed right now and could use some help in the hanger ... I told them you were great with a broom!  🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Given our dilemma I did some research and made some phone calls.  It just so happens that Jandakot is a RFDS Base and they would be happy to help out.  (They especially liked the 'Robin Miller' connection).  Feel free to move the Citation over to their hanger at your convenience Airbasil and if you happen to have any Swiss chocolate with you ... all the better!

Oh ... they said they were a little short staffed right now and could use some help in the hanger ... I told them you were great with a broom!  🙂

Thanks for the Help... I'm now on my way down to Augusta Aerodrome. As the Mission to Caiguna just started.... 

Definitely not a bad approach... rather scenic... 

416120157_10231556245479236_6611928962910905167_n.thumb.jpg.10029657f41b86e827f435e5d53cc835.jpg

418841487_10231556245679241_9205246074034291074_n.thumb.jpg.208d56477588861f4b40d4803e291f28.jpg

416116461_10231556245719242_6768874643807772842_n.thumb.jpg.6f263245b7b2a3c50cd7bbcf1693a96c.jpg

418855409_10231556247559288_8251743557189819229_n.thumb.jpg.b9c76676e7b6497cf18aff0fb8f243a1.jpg

Augusta YAUG needs an afcad though... and some Apron Texture and some buildings... there's none currently.. 

416120171_10231556247679291_5462809150496670744_n.thumb.jpg.cb60fb1d4391d2282725d16e32d7d8e0.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I have a '96 F-150. It drives plenty fast enough for me. I got all that extreme Speed and Gonzo 4 Wheeling out of my system way long ago, before the Turn of the Century. Road Pizza and broken bones take longer to heal when you're older, too.

Roger Your Last!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

After a long night at the Pearce Air Force Base Officers Club, Capt. Doovalacky saunters out to the flight line to make one last check of his aircraft before taking off to reposition to Jandakot.

When he gets to the helicopter is he met by his flight line crew, who were about to load his "essentials."

Wanting to appropriately thank ALL of them for their efforts, he has the essentials sent to the O'club.

Then throwing his arms around his crew, and wearing a smile bigger than a boomerang, they heads over to the O'club to discuss a rescheduling of his departure.

image.jpeg

Funnily enough that reminds me of several real world coast to coast trips in H-46s.  We were ferrying H-46s from where they were built in Baltimore to Santa Ana California. 

Leaving Baltimore you could fly almost anywhere you chose in the east of the US, including Louisville Ky, out of Baltimore.  But you had to eventually fly to the west coast.  

Midland Texas was the only place to fly out of to get to within our 250-300 mile range of another Air Force Base in the west of the state. So "Follow Me Trucks" were often loaded with Babes in Bikinis, plus chests full of beer, etc. to entice us to stay over night and buy their jet fuel there.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Ooh ... Fries!

Fries.jpeg.1976250274046509b1efc8b7746a4eb3.jpeg

Not 'Fries'... 'Chips'. Or 'Frites".

🤪

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

49 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Funnily enough that reminds me of several real world coast to coast trips in H-46s.  We were ferrying H-46s from where they were built in Baltimore to Santa Ana California. 

Leaving Baltimore you could fly almost anywhere you chose in the east of the US, including Louisville Ky, out of Baltimore.  But you had to eventually fly to the west coast.  

Midland Texas was the only place to fly out of to get to within our 250-300 mile range of another Air Force Base in the west of the state. So "Follow Me Trucks" were often loaded with Babes in Bikinis, plus chests full of beer, etc. to entice us to stay over night and buy their jet fuel there.   

Lonely, 'wanting' West Texas damsels looking for greener pastures and more excitement than what their Trailer Park offers... and the surest way to a 2 meter deep dirt nap in that hard, old Caliche, courtesy of her Tall Toad quaffing, deadbeat Husband.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

36 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

Basil, Port Augusta (YPAG) with VOZ 1.8:

PortAugustaYPAG.thumb.jpg.59873cddc8e74ab183c9e80dca7ed8ec.jpg

Yep i have that one. I though was flying to YAUG not to YPAG. YPAG is farther away… that will be another destination I'll be heading to., later…

Btw. YAUG is not supported by VOz. 

The PA-30 will be arriving in Jandakot today (Piper made all the arrangements) and I should get in sometime tomorrow.  Don't forget that Lycoming will be on hand this weekend for any last-minute issues and Shell ... to top off our tanks before departure!  I spoke with the RFDS again and they have offered their hanger for any evening or morning events prior to the start of the rally that the committee may have in mind ...

RDFS.jpg.39ebb161c0d56c6d024e033462d97dcb.jpg

• Like 1

Great News for the 2024 "Club Chachapoya" Australian Aerial Ralley

37 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

I spoke with the RFDS again and they have offered their hanger for any evening or morning events prior to the start of the rally that the committee may have in mind ...

Air Service Liège (ASL) is looking forward to partner up with the RFDS for the Ralley. They even want to provide us a second Jet from their Fleet on a Wetlease (inlcuding one of their own crews) to ramp up the capacity... The Jet joins the Ralley as soon as thei've made it ready for Flight. It will be a Cessna 550 Citation Bravo / Citation II in their own Livery. She'll be a great addition to the allready flying Citation CJ1+. She'll be based at Port Augusta.

A huge Thank You, to the RFDS for all your Support. This is a huge relief and means a lot to all of us from Air Service Liège!

• Like 2

The Daily Update

(Cue The Cult’s, “She Sells Sanctuary”)

Elias Pacheco: “Hello and welcome to our Daily Update for 10 January, 2024. Here is the Spotters’ Guide as it stands today:

GAAGSG.thumb.jpg.f6e5a1085c4d9ffc97906d170a62abe7.jpg

The Guide has now been sorted by Timed and Free Flight. As of now, we have nine racers and five free fliers and support aircraft, for a total of fourteen entrants. This is quite the field, the biggest one yet for a Club Chachapoya event. I would like to remind you that tomorrow will be the last day that the Guide will be published on a daily basis. It will be released one last time, at the beginning of the race on the 15th.

Preparations are really heating up, for none so much as for the PhrogPhlyers, who are visiting Pearce Air Force Base. Now we know where their chopper pilot got his callsign from. The fries and wings look appetizing, too.

Bossspecops has made his way to Banda Aceh, Indonesia. Here, he may take a layover before completing his run to Perth, or may fly one more leg to Bali and rest up there.

Melo965 is in Darwin, getting his Chipmunk together and repainting it for the race. We are looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

jgf had an unfortunate setback and is still in Ugolny, Russia. His people have put the time to good use, however, and are well advanced in their refurbishment and painting of another Staggerwing, which even unfinished looks absolutely gorgeous. If it turns out anything like VH-BBL, it will be spectacular.

taoftedal is turning into the Club’s procurement officer. Not only is he a consummate sponsor-wrangler, he has obtained the use of the RFDS’ facilities in Jandakot for our air ambulance. Thank you very much, sir – I for one feel much safer now, knowing that if I suffer a mishap, AirBasil’s crew can get me to safety. A note to Basil: Trying to hold a yoke and manage thrust when landing a jet on a dirt strip or a highway is quite painful with blisters on one’s palms – better wear gloves while pushing that broom, mate.

AirBasil took a run down to Augusta, only to find nothing there besides an airstrip.

This just in: The Royal Flying Doctor Service is wetleasing Air Service Liège a Citation Bravo, with crew – this means that we have two ambulances serving the Rally now. And the RFDS informed taoftedal that we all have access to their facilities at Jandakot now. At the end of the Gaggle, we will be voting for the Spirit of the Race award. Spirit of the Race does not have to be won by a participant – it can be won by anyone connected to the event. The race hasn’t even started yet, and the RFDS is already quickly earning my vote. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

"And on that note, this concludes today’s Daily Update. Elias Pacheco, for Radio Chachapoya, signing off. Fly safely out there!"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JSMR said:

So maybe nobody will be ready for the race start and I'll pick up an easy win and the $25,000 USD first place prize!!  😎

Reading over the guidelines for the race...

Hmm, I think you're right!

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.