The 2024 Australia Rally...

ViperPilot2

35 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Okay,

Since I entered my Beech Baron in the rally you made me wonder how it performs at altitude.  It's rated at 300 hp per Continental 10-550-C.  So outside Perth with 50% fuel, OAT 80F, 29.51 inches, and a 175lb. pilot, no luggage,  we climbed out.   Our maximum altitude was 17,200' doing 75kts with cylinder temps of 220C. 

This is using the P3Dv.4 stock Baron with the ORBX Australia scenery.  And seems to be really close to RW numbers.

Michael

The difference between FS2004 and P3D.

7 minutes ago, jgf said:

How many real aircraft have you seen with a pad instead of a stick.

Okay... 😟

😋

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

11 hours ago, defaid said:

Do you prefer dirt or grass?

Dirt, gritty but more minerals for the diet.  😝

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, taoftedal said:

1966 PA-30 Twin Comanche

Nice aircraft. She looks like she'd be great to fly.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

56 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

That Twin Comanche is a Don Moser creation? I remember Don from a Bush Pilot's FS Forum way back in the day. He made the Lockheed AL-60 Cargo plane and some nice basic repaints.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I was en route to Malta with G-AUST today, and just as I started the descent for an eventual water landing into Valetta Harbour the aircraft went violently unstable and all the outer skin vanished! Yes, really! And a pic below to show what I mean.

I could only shut the sim down and re-start as well as I could, but what could have caused that? I've never seen that before in any shape or form.

WHAT!.jpg.c9db30cafac10e36e190b56a48155e60.jpg

I did re-start and am currently moored in the Grand Harbour there, might take a day off tomorrow.

Regards

Kit

I've been simming for 43 - 44 years now (and boy, are my arms tired), and I've seen the various iterations of the program do all sorts of weird stuff.  About the strangest was back in the very beginning, when you could use the FlightSim 5 1/4" diskette as a scenery disk for an F-15 (I think), fly due west, and find another Lake Michigan with another Chicago, except with poles instead of buildings.  Up until a couple of minutes ago, that is.  Kit's experience - in a modern sim, no less - beats that.  Is that what happens when you ignore the Overspeed warning for too long?  I have no earthly idea.

Definitely a WTF (What The Flightsim) moment.

Your Computer had a CPU fart. Sometimes they get a sour stomach.

Switch the Computer off, take a walk, come back and fire it up. Start the Sim and see what happens.

If you have Windows Update enabled, a recent Update might have been the culprit.

For me the "Select a Flight" screen has been giving me fits the last couple of days; pick a plane, the Sim loads, and it isn't the right one. Plus, I'm like the Galactica and the Enterprise-D... not Networked to the Gods of Pike Place.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

17 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

16 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

That Twin Comanche is a Don Moser creation? I remember Don from a Bush Pilot's FS Forum way back in the day. He made the Lockheed AL-60 Cargo plane and some nice basic repaints.

Thanks PP ... yes ... nice to fly.  No bells and whistles and few animations but I thought she was in keeping with one of VP2's primary goals 'to showcase aircraft and scenery of the legacy programs.'  Has been in my hanger for many years and is the work of Don Moser ... his first aircraft according to the read_me (attached) ... and you'll find a few other familiar names there that helped him in the effort.

read_me.txt

Hello Bossspecops, over the years I have noticed quite a few aircraft that dissasemble in spotter view when you switch landing lights on.

Such as the Da Silva texan:

LANDING LIGHTS ON:

landinglightson.thumb.jpg.7463573cf72d850feeb5a4bdf0af0fbd.jpg

LANDING LIGHTS OFF:

landinglightsoff.thumb.jpg.e19f499b5bca162d7305cf56c9e595f9.jpg

but in my FS9 it dosen't cause any problems, everything still works, it's just disconcerting landing a plane of bits, unless it's night time I just switch the landing lights off.

1 hour ago, Bossspecops said:

all the outer skin vanished!

You'd make Diana Prince proud. 

phrog x 2.jpg

4 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Talk me out of using the Gamepad instead of the Joystick...

What ever makes you happy!

I've been wanting one of these for years...

image.jpeg

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

24 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

What ever makes you happy!

I've been wanting one of these for years...

image.jpeg

It was purely a response due to Space Restrictions in my SimPit. I generally lay a book down on my lap and put the Joystick on top of the book. I thought the Gamepad would be easier. I'll figure it out after the Rally. 

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, ScottishMike said:

Hello Bossspecops, over the years I have noticed quite a few aircraft that dissasemble in spotter view when you switch landing lights on.

Such as the Da Silva texan:

LANDING LIGHTS ON:

landinglightson.thumb.jpg.7463573cf72d850feeb5a4bdf0af0fbd.jpg

LANDING LIGHTS OFF:

landinglightsoff.thumb.jpg.e19f499b5bca162d7305cf56c9e595f9.jpg

but in my FS9 it dosen't cause any problems, everything still works, it's just disconcerting landing a plane of bits, unless it's night time I just switch the landing lights off.

Or go with a bigger alternators or batteries

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

29 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Or Yoke?

So what youse guys is sayin' is... no.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 1/2/2024 at 5:02 AM, Bossspecops said:

Good luck with the transfer. Hope you make it. (As someone famous, or perhaps not so famous, once said 'What could possibly go wrong'!)

Don't think I've uploaded these pics yet. RW stuff:
1. Original B&H programme.
2. YCAG Caiguna aerial 1.
3. YCAG Caiguna aerial 3. (Imagery date seems to be 2014.)
Been a lot of commentary about YCAG. As you can see guys 'there ain't nothin there'! (You can see the roadhouse in the distance)
https://www.gdaypubs.com.au/WA/caiguna/50337/caiguna-roadhouse.html

Some big rigs on the road out there, 'road trains', can be up to 3 trailers long.

B&H_Programme.jpg

YCAG Caiguna aerial.jpg

YCAG Caiguna aerial3.jpg

But we'll be leaving from civilisation (as we know it), from here, YPJT Jandikot https://www.jandakotairport.com.au. Being more used to land nav, driving, I relate more to Google Maps driving routes. Looking more closely at the route, via VP2's PDF flight planner, I now realise that it's YPJT to YKNG Katanning, then YNSM Norseman, then YCAG Caiguna. Out from Perth over the heavily cultivated farm lands then slowly into the Nullabor Plain desert country.

YPJT-YKNG.jpg

50 minutes ago, MAD1 said:

Been a lot of commentary about YCAG. As you can see guys 'there ain't nothin there'!

Yep. It was an 'overfly' in the original but a few of us worry about fuel and sometimes prefer shorter legs. Overflying is certainly best, after all it's more authentic. On the other hand, we're only having fun with the route and if anyone is going to stop we may as well have some scenery. Just the dirt strip and the roadhouse would have been my preference but I couldn't find any suitable scenery objects.

I like the idea of following roads too but it makes prior estimation of the flight time impossible. It would be a good one for the scenic event. Or, if it ever happens, the Carrera Panamericana.

I've spent an evening messing around with a small utility called Static Aircraft .mdl Maker and produced a passable C-130 static object from one of Henry Tomciewicz's AI. I thought I'd send my crew on ahead in the lorry to provide an elsan (ie make an updated YCAG for FS9 with the new static a/c) but the installation is more complex, requiring an extra scenery layer for the new static object.

D

• Like 1