The 2024 Australia Rally...

ViperPilot2

On 12/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Make a simple little check on the prepositioned fuel and refreshments at YCAG, and there it is again.

OK, how come there's this yellow Chipmunk everywhere I go?

image.jpeg

Be RW, no infrastructure at YCAG, so you can't refuel. So simply add that constraint into your flight planning and fuel calcs.

On 12/30/2023 at 1:31 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Yeah, as does the FSX default.

This 'ol Jarhead flew in a couple CB's I know from Oki.

Offer them all the cold beer they can drink, and you get a temporary control tower, internet, Netflix, and fuel trucks.

For a bunch of swabbies, they do good work.

There isn't anything there, RW it's a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere. (But there is a Roadhouse a hot, thirsty walk a few kilometres away, where I'm sure you can get a cold beer and a nice 'Aussie burger'.)

btw, Perth International (I have never looked at it, but will for this adventure) has QANTAS in recent years flying direct to London (very, very long haul), using the Boeing Dreamliner they can do it, it has the range, they previously stopped at e.g. Dubai to refuel, but no longer.  E.g. QF9 17h45m https://book.qantas.com/qf-booking/dyn/air/booking/FFPP?SITE=QFQFQFBI&LANGUAGE=GB&TAB_ID=eS0pgbJjk2BGqAa5jKR-zbCm9drM5YD3puvbqQ9_l-SpvpR-XEny!1704017296786

For old people (us) the risk of deep vein thrombosis is significant. Wear those old-guy pressure socks, walk aroung the cabin, stay off the grog (no way, it's free) etc. etc.

Please explain (I've looked at all the posts but don't see it):

1. Where and why did you guys choose the group name 'Club Chachapoya'?
2. Why did you as a collective choose the Aussie 1976 'Benson and Hedges' air race out of the world-wide many potential candidates?

1 hour ago, MAD1 said:

Please explain (I've looked at all the posts but don't see it):

2. Why did you as a collective choose the Aussie 1976 'Benson and Hedges' air race out of the world-wide many potential candidates?

About halfway down the page-

https://www.flightsim.com/forums/topic/58597-the-next-challenge/page/23/

That thread also contains discussion of various proposed flights, some historic, some not.  Feel free to propose any flight, any "rules", you like;  all are welcome ....what will be our flight after Australia?  who knows

19 minutes ago, jgf said:

"We" didn't. It was never a democratic decision. Just a discussion, where other ideas were proposed. Blame/congratulate ViperPilot2., it was his decision.

• Like 1

Decisions, decisions... to run or not to run?

To quote the greats:

To think is to be... Descarts

To be or not to be... Shakespear

Or more on my level: Do be do be do... Sinatra

I summarise the types to choose from. Thanks to those that gave the web address.

AESL Airtourer 150

Auster J-5G Cirrus Autocar

Beech 17 (C-43/GB/JB) Staggerwing

Beech 23 Musketeer

Beech A23A Musketeer Custom III

Beech B24R Sierra 200 Musketeer

Beech B33 Debonair

Beech C33 Debonair

Beech 33 Debonair/Bonanza

Beech E33 Bonanza

Beech M35 Bonanza

Beech S35 Bonanza

Beech V35A Bonanza

Beech A36 Bonanza 36

Beech 58 Baron

Bell 206 JetRanger

Cessna 150

Cessna 172D Skyhawk

Cessna 172K Skyhawk

Cessna 172M Skyhawk

Cessna 177 Cardinal

Cessna 180D/Skywagon

Cessna 182E Skylane

Cessna 182P Skylane

Cessna A185E Skywagon 185

Cessna 210L Centurion

Cessna 310 (U-3/L-27 Blue Canoe)

Cessna 310I

Cessna 337E Super Skymaster

De Havilland D.H. 82A Tiger Moth

Douglas C-47B Dakota

Dornier Do-27A-4

Grumman American AA-5A Cheetah

Grumman American AA-5 Traveller

Mooney M-20E Chapparal

Partenavia P-68

Pilatus PC-6/B1-H2 Turbo Porter

Piper PA-18-150 Super Cub

Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer/Caribbean/Colt

Piper PA-23-250 Aztec D

Piper PA-23 Apache/Aztec

Piper PA-24-250 Comanche

Piper PA-24-260 Comanche B

Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser 2+2

Piper PA-28-180 Cherokee Challenger

Piper PA-28-180 Cherokee Archer

Piper PA-28-180 Cherokee C

Piper PA-28-180 Cherokee D

Piper PA-28-181 Cherokee Archer II

Piper PA-28R Cherokee Arrow

Piper PA-28-235 Cherokee C

Piper PA-28-235 Cherokee D

Piper PA-30-160 Twin Comanche C

Piper PA-30-160 Twin Comanche B

Piper PA-31-310 Navajo

Piper PA-32-300 Cherokee Six

Piper PA-32R-300 Cherokee Lance

Saab 91C Safir

Victa Airtourer 100

Victa Airtourer 115

Plenty to choose from. Initially I fancied the Auster:

OssieAuster.jpg.5e262ff08813fc9464f8c61376097ba9.jpg

AusterJ1B.jpg.62b4312211a9b23e36945b3f69f71007.jpg

Or an Australian native, ready fitted with extra tankage:

Airtourer115.thumb.jpg.44b1b4eef76bebe649f5bae9d4c3e36b.jpg

But hey, look at some of those legs; almost 350 nm. Do I want to do a couple of those in an aircraft that cruises at a sedate 70kts? I don't think so.

I take my hat off to those that did in real life, but real life has adrenalin pumping situations that are lacking in simulation; such as being in imminent danger of death if you get it too wrong.

Maybee the twin Comanchie makes more sense:

TwinComanche.thumb.jpg.53d0849e9a5cb3822be79789debb4761.jpg

Can cruise at 140 to 170 Kts depending on how much you care about your engines.

Or go for a Mooney, the Bravo can cruise at 195 Kts, the Carenado M20J at 180 kts

HBDGI.thumb.jpg.5e7e964a313c0801c896e367e326398b.jpg

Back to the question: To go or not to go? And if go, timed or untimed?

• Like 1

Re the pic in my last post (has timed out and won't let me edit) 'Aviation royalty .... Hero of the Second World War, Douglas “Tin Legs” Bader (left), who started the race in Perth, is pictured with Horrie Miller (centre), handicap winner of the 1929 race and American aviator Frank Tallman. They are at Moorabin Airport where the competing aircraft parked overnight.'.

Also https://www.australianflying.com.au/latest/aopa-australia-to-reprise-1976-air-race

Also, the orignal programme

12 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

Do I want to do a couple of those in an aircraft that cruises at a sedate 70kts? I don't think so.

Why I decided against the Do-27;  a favorite FS model but did I want to hand fly it for hundreds of miles at a time?

13 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

Maybee the twin Comanchie makes more sense:

A truly difficult decision;  all those listed aircraft are nice, and nearly all available for FS.  Ultimately this is all for fun, so timed or not, only the original race or add the modern extension, whatever aircraft ...have fun.

3 hours ago, MAD1 said:

Be RW, no infrastructure at YCAG, so you can't refuel.

Either way, but we had discussed this during the planning thread.

I threw together a little scenery for FSX based on those discussions.

For the timed run, I agree no fuel.

For an untimed fun run, I think anything should go.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

3 hours ago, MAD1 said:

You're laughing up your own a-hole, there ain't nothing there buddy, RW it's a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere, nothin there, diddly squat,

Yes, we all get that, and again, we had discussed this during the planning thread.,

My comments and screenshots  are based on that thread so I threw together a little scenery for FSX.

Others have pointed you towards reading that thread, and at least understanding how this gaggle got to this point.

And for the record, I don't think the start of you're quote above is appropriate.

We have had some touch and go amongst this group. but we do keep the direct comments civil.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

4 hours ago, jgf said:

senior_moment.jpg.c2853634c604b902f0d90b465c879f14.jpg

I recently turned seventy, a fluke of nature or a gross miscarriage of justice;  but it makes me, to the best of my knowledge, the fourth oldest man ever in my family (only three others have lived past 68).

I was 81 on Boxing Day, and I'm using ALL those 'benefits' I can assure you. 🙂

And Melo, I can't help thinking that with 1600 odd horsepower your Spitfire IX floatplane would blow the DOORS off the 760 bhp of the Sealand! 😯

• Like 1

Regards

Kit

21 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Yes, we all get that, and again, we had discussed this during the planning thread.,

My comments and screenshots  are based on that thread so I threw together a little scenery for FSX.

Others have pointed you towards reading that thread, and at least understanding how this gaggle got to this point.

And for the record, I don't think the start of you're quote above is appropriate.

We have had some touch and go amongst this group. but we do keep the direct comments civil.

Sorry if my mirth offends, it was only a joke amongst the guys. Will be more circumspect in the future. (Aussie humour is rather raw!)

BTW, I appreciate and respect all the folk who are involved with organising this event. I don't wish to offend anyone, it's all just 'a bit of fun'. So please excuse me if my excesses get the better of me. (And my excuse might include the demon drink!)

6 minutes ago, MAD1 said:

(Aussie humour is rather raw!)

All good, this Marine has been known to make a Sailor blush more than once.

BTW, when our ship entered Perth in the mid '80s ( flew during an joint exercise with the Aussie mil out of Pearce), I have nothing but great memories of the people, beer, food, everything during that visit.

I even became a Marmite lover.

phrog x 2.jpg

For any of us who wish to brush up on the discussions that got is to where we are, read "The Next Challenge..." thread starting with December 7th. We really were all over the place, as usual!

phrog x 2.jpg

20 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I even became a Marmite lover.

I think you mean Vegemite, Marmite is a UK product, very similar, but a different taste. I've never been to Perth. WA is the only state I haven't visited, a long way from the east coast. Always planned to go there some day, but for a good, long visit. PhrogPhlyer I've read your posts over the last few years, and appreciate them. BTW, how did you come up with 'PhrogPhlyer', interesting handle. I know you're a rotor man, is it connected with that, or more related to your military career, or something yet again? (I really like your bi-line 'Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.' Very apt.)

4 hours ago, MAD1 said:

Now, boys, is there, and if so, a 'mustering point' at Perth where we'll assemble to 'start engines', 'clear prop', at Perth Airport?

YPJT for the Timed Rally ... see page one of this thread MAD.  Still a day or two I believe to weigh-in with questions, concerns or issues.

• Like 1