MFS.2020, -2022 and 2024?

• Founder

Microsoft refers to the current sim as simply "Microsoft Flight Simulator". Those of us in the community refer to it as MSFS 2020 to avoid confusion with earlier sims, but that's not its official name. It came out in 2020. The next version is planned for 2024. No version came out in 2022.

I have to wonder why after 4 years since its release, we still have no Mission Development OPT (Object Placement Tool) GUI similar to FSX.  I think they are really missing the boat with this omission.  I realize you can still make Missions (BushTrips), but you can NOT access the hundreds of sim variables needed to create "challenging" interactive flights, like the Landing Challenges of FS2020.  I'm really disappointed in this and have no intention putting more $$$ into an incomplete simulator... My two bits!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Founder

I guess it depends on what you mean by "completed".

The current Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020 version) is completed in the sense that there are no missing features. The designers have committed to making improvements on into the future, including the base sim as well as improved scenery and aircraft.

FSX came out in 2006 and came on CD's. It's not 2006 any more and computers don't have CD drives any more. It's now pretty standard for software to be released and then frequently updated and improved. X-Plane has been doing this for years. Other types of sims such as ATS (American Truck Simulator) and ETS 2 (European Truck Simulator) do this as well. I'm sure many more examples could be found.

• 3 months later...
54 minutes ago, RI_Red said:

Let's hope this new sim is BETTER than the one we got - Some things STILL don't work right with the current!  

Pretty much the same with every complex piece of software in the world.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 6:05 PM, JSkorna said:

Pretty much the same with every complex piece of software in the world.

IDK, they are advertising it like it is the "next generation of flight sim", I am expecting a giant leap into the future with a statement like that. 

Nothing new here..

Just a repeat of the announcements when FS2002 was superseded by FS2004, which was superseded by FSX, Flight (we all know what happened there,) then P3d, then FS2020 & now FS2024..

It's called 'advertising' , the new is always toted to be better than what is being replaced...

Has FS2020 been completed? or has any other sim been completed? Of course not, it's just a sum of a continual bunch of add-ons that the developers give us, & what we keep on adding on. 

LOL, even my FS2004 is not completed, as I keep on adding to it.

• Like 1