Ruth A330-200 Doesn't Recognize Glide Slopa

Honus

Doing test flights now between KBFI-KPMD and my Thomas Ruth A330-200 (nice plane model!) reads the ILS but doesn't descend the plane down the glide slope though the FD does.  Is there something I'm supposed to do to make the plane descend down the GS?

I did check that and yes it is NAV.  As I mentioned, it does handle the lateral ILS just fine but the glideslope is the problem.  It must be something simple.  The aircraft handles great.  I do like the Steam aircraft that were recommended.  

The elevation at KPMD is about 2,500 and I was coming in at 5,000.  I don't think it was too high.  I'll try it again.  It's probably something I did as the DME showed correctly and the ILS worked fine.  Maybe I was just too close in.

2 minutes ago, Honus said:

The elevation at KPMD is about 2,500 and I was coming in at 5,000.  I don't think it was too high.  I'll try it again.  It's probably something I did as the DME showed correctly and the ILS worked fine.  Maybe I was just too close in.

You should be less than 2000 feet above the runway for picking up the glideslope.  At that point you are about 8-9 miles out when you pick up the gldeslope and start the descent.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Which runway at Palmdale? And are you using the approach plates? These will ensure you are within the designed limits for the approach.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Rwy 22.  I didn't use approach plates, as I don't know which rwy will be assigned. I just flew to a fix and turned accordingly but I may have been a little high, according to a previous commenter above.  I'll try again.  I'm sure it works.

Part of the problem could be that there is no ILS for 22. 

Here are the published approaches for KPMD.

https://skyvector.com/airport/PMD/Palmdale-Usaf-Plant--Airport

Using the approach plates ensure proper navigation coverage, and enhances the flying experience.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 2:15 PM, Honus said:

I know.  I cheated a bit and added one  108.35 PDD    😊       I've  done that at many airports using ADE 1.78.   It's range is set to 24 mi.

Don’t know about this,  but anything like that is probably going to not work.

If the (real)approach doesn’t have a glideslope, then why are you trying to force one?

I reckon zippy is right- you must be too high.

1. Your dial should show where the indicators are, if they are in the upper half then you are below the glideslope beam - and that is fine . Keep flying level and you will hit the beam.

if the marker are below the horizontal in the dial the you are too high.

2 Also, if the runway has red and white lights, then majority of whites means too high..

calculate 300 ft up for each mile from runway. ( roughly)

It all works now.  The TR panels are very exacting on how things need to be set in order for A/P to work correctly.  I add ILS's t o many airports that may not have one and yes, it's cheating but they always work using ADE 1.78.    I still get the periodic crashes when I change aircraft but I'm living with that.  Once the aircraft is set, it all works fine.  Going to test out the TR A340-300 today.   Happy Holidays to all!