Anyone still using FS Moving Map here?

dihedral2

Hi all! 

I've been happily using FS Moving Map for the last decades to let me fly using my real world aviation charts. After a recent computer crash(Win10 PC) which required me to reinstall FS9 and all the various modules I have successfully reactivated FSUIPC and FS Nav but for some reason FSMM will not install! Does anybody here still use this old but very useful app in FS9? Any ideas what my problem might be?

Thnx for reading!

Yes! It could be a lot of things. Basically it says it has installed correctly but when I try to start the app (which runs through the kneeboard) the game crashes. I tried a new install of FS9 and also used my backup copy of FS9(which also has FSMM installed) with the same result. So...seeing it worked fine until I had to reinstall Win10 I am assuming the OS is blocking FSMM. But I'm puzzled that it hasn't blocked FS Navigator(22yrs old) or FSUIPC. I have turned off UAC and tried Admin rights and legacy compatibility too. Still crashes the game when I turn on the kneeboard. Anyone have a similar experience?

19 hours ago, dihedral2 said:

Fixed it!! I was missing a file in Windows System! Downloaded it and registered it and now FSMM works! Thnx all for your support!

Can you mention the file as it may help others in the future?
A lot of components required to run old software have been dropped in Win 10/11.
To get things working often needs manual intervention which quite possibly appears to have been your case.

Mark Daniels

2 hours ago, Skywatcher12 said:

A lot of components required to run old software have been dropped in Win 10/11.

DX9 being a major one.  True, all DX is backwards compatible, but not all software is forward compatible.  Newer software (from Vista on) makes their DX calls by  function name only, but many older programs call their DX functions by path and name so newer windows report  "not found" and the program doesn't work or even crashes.  The DX9.0c Redistributable is available at many sites;  it doesn't interfere with newer versions (each DX is in its own install) nor with newer software (windows always searches from newest to oldest DX versions).

Sure! The missing file was MSCOMCTL.OCX which is part of the VB6 Runtime library from 1998. At first I thought I would have to find that whole ancient library and download it but then I found my file as a separate download here https://www.urtech.ca/2017/11/solved-mscomctl-ocx-download-register-64-bit-windows/ complete with instructions on how to install and most importantly register it in Win10. Once installed FSMM at once jumped to life again in the game's kneeboard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...