FS 2004 (FS9) & FSX Gold Edition Questions please?

pcohen

Hello everybody.

In the last few Days I have returned to the Flight Simulator Family after a Considerable absence.

For the moment I have re-Installed FS9 & FSX Gold Edition to see which one I can get working Properly and then decide which One to keep.

Currently FSX, Havig been Re-Activated, Is running perfectly apart from One Issue,  I cannot uncheck the Menu Bar.

Having Re-Installed FS2004 (FS9) When clicking on the Shortcut Icon it just flashes a small black Box at me and does nothing else.

Any help with any of these please?

Have a nice Christmas everybody!

many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Processor: AMD Ryzon 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz.

Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB.

System type: 64-bit Operating System X64-based processor.

Hi everybody. Here Is  the Problem I forgot!  Having Installed FSX Gold Edition and being Asked to run for the First time, and being asked for the product Activation code,

I get the message "You have successfully activated Microsoft Flight Simulator on this computer.).

However, I can still only play for about 20 minutes or so.  Then get the message "thank you for playing Microsoft Simulator 
please reactivate.

Any help with this please?

thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

It may be that you have actually forgotten an activation.

Here's how it should be done:

1. Install FSX itself (2 DVDs). At the end of the installation, fly around for a couple of minutes in the default flight. Close FSX. Reboot your system.

2. Activate FSX itself with its activation code. Reboot.

3. Install Acceleration. At the end, fly around again for a couple of minutes. Close FSX. Reboot.

4. Actiivate Acceleration with its activation code. Reboot.

Jorgen

Hi Jorgen,  must be me doing something wrong somewhere.

Have completed step 1.  Step 2. when opening FSX Folder in Drive C  and clicking on activate It doesn't open?

No point going any further until it activates.

What do I do now.  Completely lost.

Thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Well, the above was quoted from memory, as it's been years since I had FSX installed. I think it's still pretty accurate, though.

This is probably where we need the U.S. Cavalry in the shape of Mr. Zippy to enter from stage right.

There is a way around all this activation, stuff, namely getting the FSX Steam edition. Once you buy that, you can have it on as many computers as you want at the same time, and no issues at all with activation.

Jorgen

1 hour ago, jorgen.s.andersen said:

Well, the above was quoted from memory, as it's been years since I had FSX installed. I think it's still pretty accurate, though.

This is probably where we need the U.S. Cavalry in the shape of Mr. Zippy to enter from stage right.

There is a way around all this activation, stuff, namely getting the FSX Steam edition. Once you buy that, you can have it on as many computers as you want at the same time, and no issues at all with activation.

Jorgen

Hi Jorgen, thanks a again.

Forgot about Steam, Forgot that I had I purchased FSX  from Steam some 2 years ago.

but being I've not played Flight Simulators for some years ago now and forgotten that I had already purchased It.

In the process of Re- Downloading It,  That's old age for you.

Many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

1 hour ago, pcohen said:

Hi Jorgen, thanks a again.

Forgot about Steam, Forgot that I had I purchased FSX  from Steam some 2 years ago.

but being I've not played Flight Simulators for some years ago now and forgotten that I had already purchased It.

In the process of Re- Downloading It,  That's old age for you.

Many thanks

Paul.

Hi Jorgen, thanks for all your help, not forgetting mr zippy's help.

FSX Is now working Fine!!!

I would still like to Install FS 9 because a lot of the Aircraft I have used In the Past and saved Which are repaints,

work in FSX but most of the Panels, Gauges, modules and sound etc. will not work In FSX and It's a bit of a Nightmare

trying to get them to work.

FS 9 was a firm Favourite in the Past.

I am In the process of Re-Installing FS 9 In the hope It works before I put my own Aircraft back In.

Many thanks for ALL the help and to anybody I may have missed

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

15 hours ago, pcohen said:

Hi Jorgen, thanks for all your help, not forgetting mr zippy's help.

FSX Is now working Fine!!!

I would still like to Install FS 9 because a lot of the Aircraft I have used In the Past and saved Which are repaints,

work in FSX but most of the Panels, Gauges, modules and sound etc. will not work In FSX and It's a bit of a Nightmare

trying to get them to work.

FS 9 was a firm Favourite in the Past.

I am In the process of Re-Installing FS 9 In the hope It works before I put my own Aircraft back In.

Many thanks for ALL the help and to anybody I may have missed

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Hello everybody, New Info.

Having Re-Installed FS2004 (FS9) and When clicking on the Shortcut Icon it just flashes a small black Box at me and does nothing else.

I have It checked to Run as Administrator and I have also tried to run In compatibility Mode with the following  Windows XP (service pack2) and (service pack3) Vista  and Vista service packs 1 & 2 and Windows 7 but still having no joy.

I don't understand any of this as FS2004 (FS9) has always worked perfectly well with any of these In the past.

SO, obviously still doing something wrong!

many thanks

Paul

Windows 10 2020.

12 hours ago, pcohen said:

Hello everybody, New Info.

Having Re-Installed FS2004 (FS9) and When clicking on the Shortcut Icon it just flashes a small black Box at me and does nothing else.

I have It checked to Run as Administrator and I have also tried to run In compatibility Mode with the following  Windows XP (service pack2) and (service pack3) Vista  and Vista service packs 1 & 2 and Windows 7 but still having no joy.

I don't understand any of this as FS2004 (FS9) has always worked perfectly well with any of these In the past.

SO, obviously still doing something wrong!

many thanks

Paul

Have you applied the nocd?

Mark Daniels

Hi Mark,  Many thanks for the reply.

I am trying not to be Thick here, but what is nocd, never heard of It.

Thanks

Paul

Windows 10 2020.

Hi Jorgen,  mr zippy and skywatcher, thanks for all the help.

I am really going round In circles with this One!

Following Jorgens:-   quote "your original 1 - 4 Instructionss  1. Install FSX itself (2 DVDs). At the end of the installation, fly around for a couple of minutes in the default flight. Close FSX. Reboot your system."

Here''s what happening?

At the end the Installation I am asked to activate Flight Simulator when I respond with Activate later and follow your Instructions and reboot I don't get another option to Activate Flight Simulator and the Activate file within Flight Simulator doesn't  work so unable to activate or Install the acceleration Pack.

Also when I am able to Install acceleration It doesn't ask for an activation code.

Not sure what to do anymore and as FS9 Is also on my computer and also not working not sure whether I should quit wile I'm ahead.

Did originally want FS9 back on my Computer and have knocked "Flight Simulator X Steam Edition" on the head because I Don't understand why I should spend nearly an Hour Downloading It every time before I can play It.

Hope this lot makes some sort of sense to somebody.

Many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

29 minutes ago, pcohen said:

and have knocked "Flight Simulator X Steam Edition" on the head because I Don't understand why I should spend nearly an Hour Downloading It every time before I can play It.

After the initial install, you shouldn't need to re-download the Steam Edition everytime you fly. Perhaps Steam is updating itself, if you don't fly often, but even those updates shouldn't take an hour (unless you have a very slow connection).

7 hours ago, pcohen said:

NoCD refers to a patch that removes the DRM (digital rights management) of FS9 whereby it looks for the CD before allowing you to fly. Microsoft removed the required software from Windows a few years, meaning any game or software that relied on this particular DRM scheme won't run any more. Using the patch Mr Zippy linked to allows you get around this.

For FS2004 (FS9) make sure you have installed the FS9.1 update, replace fs9.exe with the fs9.exe from the nocd patch, consider applying the 4GB patch to prevent CTDs due to memory issues and run fs9.exe as administrator. Oh, one thing I forgot, do not install FS9 into the Windows partion, install it into any other partition of your hard disk and this should do.

All in all FS9 should run better than FSX based on my experience.

Cheers Michael

INSTALL FS2004(FS9) to your Windows 10 or Windows 11 PC

1. Install into C:\    NOT into it's default C:\Program Files

2. Install the FS9.1 update

3. Install the FS9.1 nocd patch (replace the existing FS9.exe

4. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties

5. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP

6. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'

Here are the links for the No-CD patch & the update...

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 v9.1 No-CD Patch for FS2004 (flyawaysimulation.com)

Flight Simulator 2004 Update v9.1 (flyawaysimulation.com)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pcohen said:

Hi Mark,  Many thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Paul

You should need to do nothing more to get FS9 running than:
1. Install FS9
2. Update to v9.1 with official patch
3. Download and replace the original fs9.exe in your main FS9 directory with the nocd version.
That's it!

Mark Daniels

On 12/12/2023 at 7:35 PM, mrzippy said:

Always activate FSX after installing the first 2 discs!  Then fly around for a bit and then go ahead and try to install the Acceleration disc.

Hello mrzippy,  Need a little more help please,   this has really got me beat!

Your Quote:-  "Always activate FSX after installing the first 2 discs!  Then fly around for a bit and then go ahead and try to install the Acceleration disc."

OK, this Is exactly  what I am doing,  everything works fine but  I am only able to fly for about Twenty Minutes or so  before being asked to Re-enter the Activation code.

Don't know what to do with this anymore, I'm not exactly new to any of the  Microsoft Flight Simulators and haven't had any mega Issues like  these In the Past.

Have been with MFS since the Windows 98 days.

Many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

If the first 2 discs are installed and you have done the activation code and it still doesn't let you fly more than 20 minutes or so, there is a registry problem.  I'll look for the solution.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/fsx-activation-problem/afc10549-4347-4e1d-8426-9f266c21302f

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hello everybody, Silly question time please?

I have Two Desktop Computers in my home both with Windows Operating Systems.

Having recently returned to Microsoft Flight Simulator Gold Edition after a long absence I had forgotten that when Installing MSX that it originally had Changing Aircraft Pictures whilst it was Loading.

Now It only has a Black Screen with a small Blue loading bar at the top right of the screen.

Only remembered this when trying FSX on my old Computer this morning.

My question Is please? Is there something Missing From my new Computer and Is this affecting the Installation of fsx

Many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Good morning mr zippy,   Good news FSX now working thanks to you and something I caught on the end of your last post,

turned of the Run as Administator check box In Compatibility settings.  Having Activated FSX It has now been running now

for over an Hour.

However.  still a small hiccup.  my Mouse Cursor Is Black (normally White) and also more importantly I cannot check/uncheck 

the Menu Bar so cannot save the flight or make any Menu changes.

Sorry to be a Pain in the neck.

Many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Now everything In FSX Is working!!!  

Forgot to re-Install the Accelleration Pack.

Thanks to everybody for their expertise.

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

5 hours ago, pcohen said:

Now everything In FSX Is working!!!  

Forgot to re-Install the Accelleration Pack.

Thanks to everybody for their expertise.

Paul.

And here I thought Gold automatically installed Acceleration.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png