Windows 11 FSX Activation Problem

Honus

I'm going to be at this awhile, installing FSX on new All In One computer.   I installed both discs via and external DVD drive onto C:\FSX directory which I created.  I get an error that there was a problem activating the product and was never asked for any product key which I have in the box.  I've read various 'solutions' but they don't seem to address this. The program does open ok but I can't add the Acceleration or run other things until FSX is properly activated.   Is there some trick to activating FSX in Windows 11?  This should be easy but so far, has not been.  Thanks for any help.

Did you try this one?

1. Open the folder C:\program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
  2. Right click on the FSX executable icon.
  3. Click Properties.
  4. On the Compatibility tab, click to check "Run this program in the compatibility mode for".
  5. Click OK.
  6. Start the game again and try to activate.
Keep in mind that FSX is 32 bit and your Win 11 is 64 bit, I think!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

33 minutes ago, mrzippy said:

Did you try this one?

1. Open the folder C:\program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
  2. Right click on the FSX executable icon.
  3. Click Properties.
  4. On the Compatibility tab, click to check "Run this program in the compatibility mode for".
  5. Click OK.
  6. Start the game again and try to activate.
Keep in mind that FSX is 32 bit and your Win 11 is 64 bit, I think!

I did do that and same error message.  I didn't  install this in the Program files as I was previously warned not to do that.  I set up   C:\FSX  as my install folder.  Again, the program does eventually open but I can't "activate" FSX to do much of anything else.  No program key or anything is asked for.  I'm using the original FSX Gold with Acceleration to do the install which worked so well on Windows 7.  Not sure what's changed.

29 minutes ago, pomak249 said:

I'll work on this today.  Lots of things to look at.  First basic question is:  Should I let FSX install where it wants (the Program Files folder) or someplace other than that?  This seemed to be an issue in Window 7.   Thanks for your help folks!

4 hours ago, pomak249 said:

ok, did that, found all the folders etc but the only thing in the UPPERFILTERS was the 'partmgr' you mentioned.  Thee was nothing else to delete.    I reinstalled the FSX and just let it install in the ProgramFilesX86 but same result.  Guess I keep my old Win 7 computer on the side or look for a new hobby.   Too bad. Lots of years of work went into this.  But thanks anyway.  Good try.

2 hours ago, jorgen.s.andersen said:

Instead of dealing with all those activation issues, get the Steam version. It comes with Acceleration and a couple of bug fixes, and you can install it without activation on as many computers as you want.

Jorgen

I may consider that.  Guess I was just reluctant to part with the many addons and planes I had built into FSX.  I guess you can't do that with Steam?  Maybe you could help me with the following and I'll quit nagging.  LOL

1.  Is there AI traffic and can you create your own

2.  Available Flightplanner

3  Can any other user planes be added?  I had the Boeing and Airbus collections from Simmer's Sky.

Thanks for any information and your help.

7 hours ago, Honus said:

I may consider that.  Guess I was just reluctant to part with the many addons and planes I had built into FSX.  I guess you can't do that with Steam?  Maybe you could help me with the following and I'll quit nagging.  LOL

1.  Is there AI traffic and can you create your own

2.  Available Flightplanner

3  Can any other user planes be added?  I had the Boeing and Airbus collections from Simmer's Sky.

Thanks for any information and your help.

The Steam Edition is basically FSX Gold repackaged for sale on Steam along with a few bug fixes, and most FSX add-ons are compatible with the Steam Edition.

13 hours ago, Honus said:

Oh, I didn't know that.  Could that be the problem?  I can go back and try that.  Thanks.

Yes Honus it must be PartMgr (P and M upper case)

• Thanks 1

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

8 hours ago, jorgen.s.andersen said:

I'll allow myself to modify Loki's above statement and say that I have not encountered any add-on of any kind that worked in FSX Gold and not in the Steam version.

The only difference I had to get used to was the different and long path to the Steam version.

Jorgen

Thanks again folks for the info.  I've lots to do before I'm reading to take to the skies again but this info helps.  Have a good week.

On 10/29/2023 at 1:11 PM, jorgen.s.andersen said:

Instead of dealing with all those activation issues, get the Steam version. It comes with Acceleration and a couple of bug fixes, and you can install it without activation on as many computers as you want.

Jorgen

Ok, Got the Steam version and it fires up pretty well.  Only question now is where are the FSX files/folders??  This installed to the C:\ but I don't see an FSX folder and don't see anything in the Steam folder.  I was looking for the airplane folders, etc and was going to try some of my addons from my other computer.   Thanks much

1 hour ago, Honus said:

Ok, Got the Steam version and it fires up pretty well.  Only question now is where are the FSX files/folders??  This installed to the C:\ but I don't see an FSX folder and don't see anything in the Steam folder.  I was looking for the airplane folders, etc and was going to try some of my addons from my other computer.   Thanks much

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/2913220877909786338/

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

2 hours ago, piet06273 said:

Somewhere in: Name\Local\Steamapps\Steam\Common files\FSX   (if you don't want it in 'Program files.....') 

ok thanks.  I just let it install where it wanted for now, in Program Files. I'll see how it goes.

2 hours ago, amberdog1 said:

Honus what error code did you receive after the disc instal. I ran into this same problem after I upgraded to Win 11. 

Oh it said it was unable to activate - installation may not have been complete or files may be corrupted. Something like that.  Since then, I've acquired FSX Steam and it fires up and I'm just going to plod through and see if I can get any of my addons to work, once I find the  FSX files.  They are buried somewhere in Steam.

10 hours ago, Honus said:

Oh it said it was unable to activate - installation may not have been complete or files may be corrupted. Something like that.  Since then, I've acquired FSX Steam and it fires up and I'm just going to plod through and see if I can get any of my addons to work, once I find the  FSX files.  They are buried somewhere in Steam.

I have a second 'data' drive, so I moved the Steam Library to it.  The files are still deep, but not to the level of the default install.

Ernest Pergrem

System: i7-13700K, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit, MSFS 2020, FSX, Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick, Cessna Pedals, Saitek Trim Wheel, Switch Panel, and Multi Panel