Holding

Jim Hall

I am learning to navigate with the G-500. When I select an RNAV approach to a runway then select an IAF transition I am placed into a hold before reaching the IAF. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for helping. 

i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

If ATC gives you a hold it's generally because other traffic is in the way. And, except in certain situations (don't know if the sim is different), only one aircraft may be on the approach at a time. So execute the hold and see if they will clear you for the approach after a while -- depending on traffic it could be 10 minutes or longer, but (don't know about the sim) you should receive an "expect further clearance" time.

Perhaps additional info could help us explain more, as flapman asks, but the above is generally what to expect in real life. I've not used ATC in any of the sims to know how closely they follow real world practice.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

FS ATC has its own priorities when assigning aircraft to land (I've always hated that it does not recognize "emergencies" ... you can be nearly out of fuel and they will stick you on hold);  and it will queue aircraft to land as long as there is a certain separation between them (leading to the odious situation of you, in a slower plane, having landing clearance while a faster plane is several miles back; just as you are about to touch down you get a go-around because that plane is a only few hundred yards away now).  Otherwise there is no "first come, first served";  the process seems to be after one aircraft lands and clears the runway, the next aircraft cleared to land is the one nearest the flight path to that runway, so an aircraft can fly up and request clearance just as the runway is cleared and it will get immediate clearance to land even though there are a dozen who've been waiting.  So, ATC will get around to you ...eventually.  Then hope you don't spend an hour holding on a taxi way.

2 hours ago, flapman said:

can you provide more detail?

46 minutes ago, lnuss said:

Perhaps additional info could help us explain more, as flapman asks,

What aircraft model?

Is G-500 part of aircraft panel or an add on?

If an addon, which one?

What approach (airport/runway)?

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Thank you guys for responding to my question which was not very well put. Since, I have found the answer myself from watching U-Tube videos. There are "Hold Approaches" and I must learn more about them. Also ChatGBT is an excellent resource. Thanks again. 

i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Many RNAV approaches have an IAF at a large angle from the final approach course, so a turn in holding to get aligned and set up (including a descent in many cases) is necessary.

Watch your altitude approaching one of these holding fixes, make sure you are at or above the MSA for the area. look at the MSA circle on your RNAV chart