The Next Challenge...

ViperPilot2

6 hours ago, taoftedal said:

pass you up coffee and donuts from the cabin?

Depends on how daring they wish to be!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

11 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

Very cool ... but can your passenger's pass you up coffee and donuts from the cabin?

OIP(1).jpg.e2f7ee478deaa4093a62950f3f43287c.jpg

Unfortunately, no. The Pilot could communicate with the Passengers, but not pass Snacks back and forth. Couldn't do that in the Fox Moth or Jackaroo, either.

Since it was a Boeing/United product, Model 40's were all over the West, but not so much east of the Big Muddy.

By the by... for those who might decide to go the biplane route, don't count out all of the British offerings of the time; they fit in with the Time period, and you can download 'em everywhere.

Remember this... The Brits were doing the Long Distance deal quite often during the 30's. Way more than us Yanks were!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, taoftedal said:

can your passenger's pass you up coffee and donuts from the cabin?

That depends on how daring they are!

But you may have to wait until they finish the in-flight tennis match,

image.thumb.jpeg.2ae8fed3bfa037c7286ae6dae0ea8c87.jpeg

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Here's my planning, 90mph, and although it says 5000' I'll most likely stay 1000 AGL or less.

Aircraft to be announced once the new paint dries.

PhrogPhlyer Rt 66.pdf

phrog x 2.jpg

1 hour ago, leuen said:

An other kind of "stand upright" flying!

Nicely done!

phrog x 2.jpg

Fresh from the paint shop and already got exhaust soot on it.

Once we start I've got almost 24 hours of bone rattling ahead of me.

You should see how I balance the controls and pour coffee from the thermos.

Let the games begin!

image.thumb.jpeg.39869906d6986a558c0324f3f0510905.jpeg

• Like 4

phrog x 2.jpg

Just now, jgf said:

Oh, you've no idea how inept I can be.

Great to have company...

phrog x 2.jpg

16 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Always liked that helicopter.  They appeared so often in movies, even TV show, in the fifties and early sixties;  especially in sc-fi movies it seems they were the helicopter of choice.

Which model is that?  I have an old one, dated 2002, that's not near as detailed

s51.jpg.0f3782b6f07d52d2d315b1ba41ea5e5f.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Once we start I've got almost 24 hours of bone rattling ahead of me.

You should see how I balance the controls and pour coffee from the thermos.

Let the games begin!

image.thumb.jpeg.39869906d6986a558c0324f3f0510905.jpeg

Nice bone shaker! The thought of flying a chopper entered my mind, but I buried it. Now I may have to re-evaluate that choice!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

4 minutes ago, jgf said:

Which model is that? 

Sikorski S-51, or H-5, R-5F, HO3S-1, Dragonfly

330 of these build between '45 and '57

phrog x 2.jpg

8 minutes ago, jgf said:

Always liked that helicopter.  They appeared so often in movies, even TV show, in the fifties and early sixties;  especially in sc-fi movies it seems they were the helicopter of choice.

Which model is that?  I have an old one, dated 2002, that's not near as detailed

s51.jpg.0f3782b6f07d52d2d315b1ba41ea5e5f.jpg

Try this one..

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=203&id=7728

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

12 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Now I may have to re-evaluate that choice!

It sure would be easier in something fast, but rotors had to be represented.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

3 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Thanks.  The one I have is from Greg Pepper, but this one is several years more recent.  (I'm a miserable chopper pilot, but i keep trying.  About a half hour of white knuckle concentration to maintain some semblance of level flight is about all I can do.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

If we're using PhrogPhlyer's scoring system, I don't think this is a factor as far as points/times go.  Might even be a handicap if one's using the estimates from FS9's flight planner.

"Cooked" meant Flight Dynamics. Panels can be altered, changes to [radio] section can be as well.

So I take it that the Route 66 deal is the way folks want to go, using the Reference Route from the File I provided, and using the Scoring System PP suggested?  Shall we say any General Aviation airplane in use from November 11, 1926 (the day Routes 66 was established) up to June 26, 1985, (the day Route 66 was removed from the US Highway system)?

Of course, allowances can be made if someone's got a favorite they want to fly.

Weather is whatever you like.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

11 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

It sure would be easier in something fast, but rotors had to be represented.

"Fast" is relative in FS. I don't think I've ever come close to Published Speeds with any Choppah in FS, but maybe they're referring to TAS, not KIAS. For me, all of 'em max out at around 130-140 KIAS. I'm getting better at controlling 'em, but that's only because of the Joystick adjustments I made.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

21 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

maybe they're referring to TAS, not KIAS

I ran into that recently when tweaking an aircraft, if I got its rated top speed at the correct altitude, it was an absolute hot rod.  A prop driven plane doing 0.8mach at 28k ft.  Someone pointed out that many speeds are listed IAS but top speed is usually TAS;  back to square one, adjust for TAS and everything fell into place.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

"Cooked" meant Flight Dynamics. Panels can be altered, changes to [radio] section can be as well.

So I take it that the Route 66 deal is the way folks want to go, using the Reference Route from the File I provided, and using the Scoring System PP suggested?  Shall we say any General Aviation airplane in use from November 11, 1926 (the day Routes 66 was established) up to June 26, 1985, (the day Route 66 was removed from the US Highway system)?

Of course, allowances can be made if someone's got a favorite they want to fly.

Weather is whatever you like.

So ... just to make sure ... Lansing Municipal (KIGQ) to Santa Monica Municipal (KSMO) via 5K1>KLBO>KGCM>F36>KTDW>0E0>KGUP>KFLG>KEED ... ?

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

General Aviation airplane

Any GA "aircraft." Fling-wings welcomed.

phrog x 2.jpg

1 hour ago, taoftedal said:

So ... just to make sure ... Lansing Municipal (KIGQ) to Santa Monica Municipal (KSMO) via 5K1>KLBO>KGCM>F36>KTDW>0E0>KGUP>KFLG>KEED

Yes, and don't make the mistake I did, used F35 not F36. Wound up in TX not OK.

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, jgf said:

Which FS2004 model

Not sure for 2004, this for FSX with my repaint.

However, I think they are the same, just that the FSX had some panel and sound updates.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg