The Next Challenge...

ViperPilot2

13 minutes ago, Sirrus said:

Summer in Australia and ...

image.jpeg.bef8e3eaa9e4ebba96779e3f8ea17309.jpeg

...the last flyable Shorts Belfast gets its feet wet along with

image.thumb.jpeg.e182822f93b8898e67cef26e96d1d1c2.jpeg

at least one of the Navajos I looked at.

Cairns Airport under flood water. Now who suggested an East Coast Rally, or was it meant for seaplanes?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/au/australia-weather

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

28 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

I don't have an M, but I do have a Saratoga with hardly any hours on it.  Hadn't even thought of that one.  The choice just got tougher...

There's a nice Turbo Meridian in the Library, and a couple of Panels that complement it nicely. Paul Craig did a nice job on this one, just like his other Pipers...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

4 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

There's a nice Turbo Meridian in the Library, and a couple of Panels that complement it nicely. Paul Craig did a nice job on this one, just like his other Pipers...

Thanks!  Paul's made some nice aircraft over the years, hasn't he?  A good VC is really important for me, though.  Throw a turbine into the Saratoga...

13 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I even did a pretty ridiculous repaint for that one, back in the days lol... 🤣

• Like 1

An interesting sidelight to this event is checking out the aircraft that actually competed.  I'm considering using the Staggerwing, the Simtech model is old but still nice to fly,  The real aircraft, a 1944 D17, continued flying into the nineties, when it went to a museum in Australia, still in the same paint -

1944_vh-bbl_1995sm.jpg.26e7365ec2913b4b4ee1f8b616e0f07a.jpg

In 2019 it went to New Zealand for a full restoration.

I'm dubious if this photo is the restored plane, but it was captioned as such

Beech-D17_vh-bbl.thumb.jpg.3346613258f135c393af3184082c0eb6.jpg

Now, if I use the Beech do I ship my blue plane "down under" or fly this one (repaint time)? 

Or "borrow" a local plane - an attractive Australian registered plane currently flying in New Zealand (yet another repaint) -

stagger_vh-uxp.jpg.f615245cd4e71fc6b0406ea2afdf0237.jpg

(Four photos of this plane, still can't decide if it is black or very dark blue.)

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 10:21 AM, PhrogPhlyer said:

I'm definitely lost at this point.

RBV is the Robbinsville VOR in NJ ( a few miles from my house and home field N87.

"Auntie Em, it's a twister..."

🌪️

It took flying from CYTZ to KLGA via RBV for me to figure this out.  I mentioned 23 miles from RBV, 65 miles to KLGA, but this was just a guess, since my sim session died.  RBV-KLGA shows as 44.8nmi in FS9, 44.7 in SkyVector.  I was around 20 miles southwest of RBV, hadn't reached it yet.

Perhaps I should stick to Bonanzas, Barons, King Airs, Staggerwings, D18's, and maybe the occasional 400A for the time being, because this COVID brain fog is a Beech.

8 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

It took flying from CYTZ to KLGA via RBV for me to figure this out.  I mentioned 23 miles from RBV, 65 miles to KLGA, but this was just a guess, since my sim session died.  RBV-KLGA shows as 44.8nmi in FS9, 44.7 in SkyVector.  I was around 20 miles southwest of RBV, hadn't reached it yet.

Perhaps I should stick to Bonanzas, Barons, King Airs, Staggerwings, D18's, and maybe the occasional 400A for the time being, because this COVID brain fog is a Beech.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far... it was an Exercise to see if you could do it. Things just move faster, that's all. 😁

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

8 hours ago, Airbasil_1 said:

Definitely... I would love to get a few more real world Repaints for the Carenado King Air C-90 or the Aeroworx King Air B200. 

My comment on repaints was in reference to recreating the aircraft that flew the actual 1976 event. 

I apparently need to be more clear. 

If there is any interest in recreating/repainting and flying aircraft that actually participated, speak out.

If not, I'll polish the Vampire and wait for the green flag to start.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I can easily paint the Staggerwing in the appropriate livery, I believe that is the Beech default scheme;  dozens of images of these planes in every color combination imaginable but in the same pattern (several of the Simtech liveries are variations of this).  (Will still do that nice dark blue job.)

1 hour ago, taoftedal said:

what happened to low and slow?

Too many hours beating along Rt. 66.

Thought maybe something different.

Still not sure which aircraft, so many great possibilities.

And now thinking one of the actual entries?

Oh well, we've all got some time to sort this out.

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

5 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Still not sure which aircraft, so many great possibilities.

And now thinking one of the actual entries?

Such a variety of aircraft, from a Tiger Moth to a DC-3 to a Vampire, even a helicopter, and nearly all available for FS.  I'm still pondering which to use, but I think (I know, I'm not qualified) we all should select from that list.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, taoftedal said:

The Vampire?  You must be planning to really make tracks 'down under' ... what happened to low and slow?

Maybe he has the FB variant, planning on practicing ground attacks (with that jet he'll get everywhere ahead of us and chew up the runways).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jgf said:

ahead of us and chew up the runways

And eat everything off the barbie.

phrog x 2.jpg

This might add more confusion to the question of what plane to fly, but is there anything saying that the route can't be run multiple times in different aircraft?  I'd say that any scored run has to use the same plane for the whole route, but if PhrogPhlyer wants to tear up the airfields in his Vampire for a couple days and then spend a leisurely three weeks touring the route in a DH-60, I've got no problem with that.  What do y'all think?

• Like 2