The Next Challenge...

ViperPilot2

41 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

¿Traducción, por favor?

"Thanks for the Information, my good friend! Have a relaxing afternoon, throw back a bottle of Beer or a glass of Cabrinet Sauvignon, plop some Shrimp on the Barbeque, kick back and Relax!"

😁

• Thanks 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 12/14/2023 at 8:01 PM, ViperPilot2 said:

Mind if I ask you a favor? When you fly to Toronto, could you give us a basic blow by blow of your Flight, like doing the Flight Plan, how you Climb to Cruise Altitude, or how far out you are when you start your Descent towards the Airport?

It could really help "Tuber" rookies like me who are still trying to learn about these things... for mine I just took off, got on Course and flew direct to Toronto. I know it's not realistic but it'll do for now until I become more proficient!

Sorry it took so long. I've been putting it off, knowing it would be a long job. C-130 with no flight management software -- I spend my working days poking buttons on electronic things and refuse to do it at the weekend. I think the remaining two legs will be a lot simpler.

I used to use Flight1's C441 in Air Hauler. Its autopilot  had a great facility for an automated cruise climb whereby I could trim in the climbout to give the min drag speed and at ceiling setting a silly FL like 700 combined with setting a VS of 0 allowed the plane to float upwards as it burnt off fuel. A CDA at flight idle and MDS was then possible by disengaging alt hold and retarding the throttle. That gave the most economical profile for an entire flight.

egnxtoumggidealaltitudeprofile.jpg.70852686ee6aa5ad75d29b36e75b6823.jpg

This is to say, your climb out and your descent will depend on what you want to achieve. For a procedural arrival, the attached pdf narrative pretty well covers it from a FS9 perspective.

D

ttpp-cyyz.pdf

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jgf said:

What items?

I'm also awaiting the final route and what airports will be used;  hoping someone will gather everything necessary into a single download for us.  Given the spotty availability of the required airports I say use what is easily obtained and adjust the route for those, capture the "flavor" of the event if not the exact route.

There were some .bgl's and a couple .bmp's that are supposed to go into the "Static Objects Library" in the RWY12 Folder, which I do not have (I've got the Entire RWY12 Library Installed). Also, there's Landclass that in my previous experiences tends to lock up my Sim and/or enables a CTD on this Laptop.. Hence, I'm sticking with Default FS9.

So far, the 'consensus' from the Assemblage is for a non timed Event focusing on Exploration, Intrigue and the particular skill of weaving a literary Narrative into the Flight...

How about 'expanding' the Parameters of the Challenge to not only include the '76 AU Air Rally route (whether it was known as the Benson & Hedges Air Race or in its recent incarnation as the AOPA AU Air Rally), but perhaps a wider Exploration of the Continent at Large? Have a go at exploring "Down Under" at your leisure, and pick a place to meet when it's all over, like at Uluru (Ayers Rock)? It might solve a multi fold Issue; using the existing Scenery for those who are using Default Scenery (or minor Additions), for those using VOZ 1.8 and taking advantages of all it has to offer, and it gives a chance for a wider range of Participation. Mates like Airbasil can do his Flights along the Eastern coast the way he sees fit, the Air Rally/Race Route is there for folks to follow, and others can do their own Mission. Since the aim is the Story, why not get tall tales from all over the Continent? Some might want to play RFDS, others might just hop from station to station, trying the various Aussie 'Tucker' (food)...

The Continent is our Meat Pie, waiting for all of us to dig in. What say you? Wrap your limbs around Aussie Slang, pick a Plane and come Play! 😁

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

8 hours ago, jgf said:

Uneventful flight except for the ILS never lining up with the runways, had to shut off the AP and land manually at each stop.  Worst was at CYTZ, gauges said I was lined up perfectly but my eyes disagreed

Is this a question of the localizer not tracking the ILS correctly, or is the AP flying the approach like a first-time student?  I haven't noticed a localizer problem with my Eaglesoft X.  I've never found an AP in FS9 that'll track an approach worth a darn, so I've never tried letting ESDG's X fly one.

citx_new2.jpg.fbe5ac9682cc304ed0d9345b1d881c72.jpg

I like the panel layout!  What are the GPS Color Map instrument (don't have, want) and the AP (think I have it, or something very similar)?  I might try setting up my VC like yours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, defaid said:

That road train only constitutes one truck. You want a few? What are you flying?

87/90 in the first bottle, 100LL in the Second, JP-5 in the Third, and Jet A bringing up the rear... 😋

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

34 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Since the aim is the Story, why not get tall tales from all over the Continent?

"The 2024 Greater Australian Aerial Gaggle." GAAG

Works for me!

Let's all agree on a start date to formalize this?

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 minute ago, defaid said:

I think you should add a trailer for the 151° proof.

Definitely needed to start the Rolls-Royce Nene engine I've got.

And might help to get the pilot started too.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

While here in Sydney I have been trying out several aircraft and liveries for the GAAG.:

Sydney1.thumb.jpg.9732be12cc649998911c697e899c55bb.jpg

Sydney4.thumb.jpg.eb7c04a4a6b4d044583d8d0a6b39cfaa.jpg

I will be accompanied by Professor Platypus Perth and his long time assistant Wombat Willy.

Prof. Perth's lifetime work revolves around recording the several hundred native Australian languages before English culture steamrollers them into oblivion.

• Like 1

So far, one thing I've gleaned from the Airbasil Mini PIREPS is that Automation, especially in both the Descent and Approach phase is quite important. On my Flight I used AP for the Descent but flew the PAPI lights all the way to Touchdown. I've never used the APP function on the AP, and following the ILS needles isn't one of my strong points.

More Learning on my part is definitely required... 🤔

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

13 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

While here in Sydney I have been trying out several aircraft and liveries for the GAAG

Lovin' the Aerostar!

phrog x 2.jpg

45 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

While here in Sydney I have been trying out several aircraft and liveries for the GAAG ...

Sweet rides each SMike ... depending on the model I believe some of the Aerostar's were pressurized ... just in case the weather gets a little rough 'down under' ... 🙃

1 hour ago, taoftedal said:

Holy Tutorial Batman!  Very impressive defaid ... Thank you.

I'm laughing at this. You're welcome.

I didn't really think of it as a tutorial. We all do more with our sims than kiosk-mode but we very rarely cover flight planning or fuel calculation, weather, balancing loads, repainting or whatever else in our narratives. It was more of a behind-the-scenes flight report, although there might be some useful thoughts embedded somewhere in there.

D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Automation, especially in both the Descent and Approach phase is quite important. On my Flight I used AP for the Descent but flew the PAPI lights all the way to Touchdown. I've never used the APP function on the AP, and following the ILS needles isn't one of my strong points.

Automation has its place, and is useful to a) see how an approach should look when flown perfectly, and b) to ease workload,

I personally prefer a late '50's though '70s era panel, no glass, and hand flying the approach. It forces one to understand that once the aircraft is in trim, nearly hands off, the rest is small power or flight control inputs. For example, if you already have the aircraft at properly configured for the approach (flaps, speed), all you need to start your decent and manage the glideslope is power reduction to start down, and power increase if going below glideslope. It will basically fly itself to the same accuracy as the AP. Small, timely, smooth inputs. When you break out at 200 and 1/2, configured for landing, and a runway waiting there for you, that is an amazing feeling.

• Like 2

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

Is this a question of the localizer not tracking the ILS correctly, or is the AP flying the approach like a first-time student? 

Well, at KORD the gauges told me I was perfectly lined up on 35R, but what I saw ahead of me was the airport slightly to the right of my path;  FSNAV showed I was about 20deg off from the runway and my current course would take me over the SW corner of the airport.  Kill the AP and take her in manually.

At Toronto the gauges again said I was perfectly lined up for landing, but my view was the runway was to the north;  FSNAV showed I was on course but about a half mile south of the runway.  Again, kill the AP, swing north then back west to the same course, and land manually.

This isn't a bug with the Citation X, it occurs with any aircraft with ILS and at many, not all, airports.  Not a major issue with smaller aircraft, but a C-5 or a WWI bomber is a definite go-around.

2 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

What are the GPS Color Map instrument (don't have, want) and the AP

The map is the old Terravue gauge, functions as moving map, radar altimeter, and image display-

terravue.jpg.c7d59497aef51a0df2fe45b684fa2faf.jpg

When creating the wide screen panel I now had the fourth MFD, rather than duplicate the Nav display I decided to add popups gauges there, currently Terravue or the ComGold radio (hated that I had to cover half the screen with the entire pedestal every time I needed the radios).

The AP is, I believe, from one of the default airliners, I've downloaded dozens of aircraft that use it.  I edited this one to have a transparent background so can put on any panel and it matches.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Automation has its place, and is useful to a) see how an approach should look when flown perfectly, and b) to ease workload,

I personally prefer a late '50's though '70s era panel, no glass, and hand flying the approach. It forces one to understand that once the aircraft is in trim, nearly hands off, the rest is small power or flight control inputs. For example, if you already have the aircraft at properly configured for the approach (flaps, speed), all you need to start your decent and manage the glideslope is power reduction to start down, and power increase if going below glideslope. It will basically fly itself to the same accuracy as the AP. Small, timely, smooth inputs. When you break out at 200 and 1/2, configured for landing, and a runway waiting there for you, that is an amazing feeling.

Thinking to myself that I really need to take a step back, and return to 'the Basics' of flying an Airplane. No AP, a non Complex Airplane, and go back to learning "Pitch for Speed, Power for Altitude"... like flying the B & H/AOPA Air Rally Route in a 172 or Tripacer just like the actual Contestants did! 2,300 nm of Recurrent, OTJ Training may be just what I need! 🤪😁

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 minute ago, ViperPilot2 said:

may be just what I need

That's why I flew the last one with a helo. Could never let my guard down. Made a difference for sure.

phrog x 2.jpg

3 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

"Pitch for Speed, Power for Altitude"

Yes and yes!

phrog x 2.jpg