The Next Challenge...

ViperPilot2

10 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Mind if I ask you a favor? When you fly to Toronto, could you give us a basic blow by blow of your Flight, like: 

1. doing the Flight Plan,
  2. how you Climb to Cruise Altitude, or
  3. how far out you are when you start your Descent towards the Airport

1. Usually i enter the flightplan in to ASA Routefinder (for Aircraft which use FMC/FMS). Routefinder gives me the exact Waypoints needed, which i simply be able to insert in my FMC/FMS Programming. 
    Usually you have a certain altitude restriction (in Europe it is mostly 5000ft / in the US it is often 7000ft depending if you have a Noise Proceedure to follow) where you have to climb up first.
    So I enter 5000ft in my MCDU and if i don't have to follow noise Proceedures i can follow my allready inserted Flightplan (which often exactly follows the SID / STARS on your allready printed /
    or digital Charts on your IPad nearby).

2. Up on 5000ft the center ATC takes over and calles you for a higher altitude, mostly 12-15'000ft or if there's no crossing traffic in the area, directly to FL220.
    Final Cruise ALT is often FL230 to 250… depending on the chosen Leg duration and weather in the area (for longhauls, that can vary between FL330 and FL380 and is allways depending
    to the actual weather enroute and the fuel efficiency proceedures of your particular Airline). 

Usually in FMC/FMS the Top of Climb and Top of Descent is allready calculated when entered and programmed. Depending on your leg duration and cruising altitude, that can vary…
    also because of altitude restrictions, Weight and Balance of the particular Aircraft or of Course Weather / Altitude deviations.

3. My Top of Descent varies between 52 and 48nm. Also depending if i fly a visual approach or ILS Calculated Approach… Usually incase of Visual approach i allways like to have a certain
    room of space / room of decision altitude for either a longer or a shorter Glide down to the Runway. Also that depends on the Terrain below. For Ex. if there's mountainious terrain ahead
    or even a more difficult approach due to difficult terrain, such as an approach into Tegucigalpa for example, i allways like to have some spare room…
    so i mostly begin my descent quite early… just to better be safe than sorry… 

4. Incase of ILS (cat. 2 or 3) i am mostly relying on calculation inserted in my FMC/FMS and do an autoland (autobrakes set to 2 - depending on the runway length and conditions).
    That considdered I am capable of rather starting my descent quite late… Also, if there's rather rough weather ahead in the approach and when i'm not doing a Cat. 2 or 3 approach
    but either visual or ILS cat. I, then i am often canceling my Autopilot earlier than usual and fly my final approach by hand. Often allready at about 2500ft / or a minute after
    crossing the outer Marker… (usual is 1000ft before the threshold).

In case of Go around, my Decision Height is allways set to 300ft (Most airlines nowadays leave that at 200ft). And my climb altitude incase of go around is mostly set to 3500ft
    (which is standart - some airlines even have that set on 3000… for example incase of GoAround in Manchester Ringway, you have to climb to 3000).

Btw. I assume, you won't fly heavier Aircraft than the A330-300… so your Max. Landing Weight (MLW) shouldn't exceed 168 Tons… (295 Tons for the 747-400)
    which is important to calculate the runway length needed for landing and of course allready for the Approach briefing.  

Hope that helps.

Now Captain, sit back, relaxe and have a nice flight!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

I can certainly see how people would say that it's the most dangerous race in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrera_Panamericana

The feasibility of creating this for various race sims has been discussed.  So far the longest track we have is the Targa Florio, 64 miles of twisting rural roads around Sicily;  a massive project several years in the making.

48 minutes ago, Melo965 said:

For sure!  Cool looking aircraft!

That settles it. Now to make sure I can get JP-5 along the route, if now will need to put a few fuel trucks out there.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

44 minutes ago, jgf said:

shell_volvo_r_train_a_springs.jpg.4a2fe1223737b2530751bdeda327eec0.jpg

Until they arrive there at least is one truck of Avgas and one of JP-5 waiting,

And a temporary airfield operation is in place, waiting for anyone who needs a rest along the way.

BTW, California used to allow triple trailers (in the '80's). It was not fun trying to pass one in highspeed traffic on the 5 or 405.

YCAG Scenery Update 1.zip

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Until they arrive there at least is one truck of Avgas and one of JP-5 waiting,

And a temporary airfield operation is in place, waiting for anyone who needs a rest along the way.

BTW, California used to allow triple trailers (in the '80's). It was not fun trying to pass one in highspeed traffic on the 5 or 405.

YCAG Scenery Update 1.zip 1.67 kB · 2 downloads

I take it this Scenery won't work in Nine?

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Just now, ViperPilot2 said:

I take it this Scenery won't work in Nine?

I have not tried it, since I don't have 9 installed.

I have used FS9 scenery in FSX without issues, so, could you give it a try and let us know?

Thanks!

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

51 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I have not tried it, since I don't have 9 installed.

I have used FS9 scenery in FSX without issues, so, could you give it a try and let us know?

Thanks!

Scenery compiled for FSX isn't backwards compatible for Nine; too many Compatibility issues. No worries, though; since Caiguna is a flyover, if for some reason I need to let down then I'll just get dirty! 😋

For anyone using 9, the following Airport Sceneries are in the File Library:

Bankstown (YSBK)

Ceduna (YCDU)

Forrest (YFRT)

Parafield (YPPF)

Port Augusta (YPAG)

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

55 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

Or fit an IFR probe and whistle up an RAAF tanker? 

Would be great, but I don't think I'll figure out creating AI before this event.

I've installed FSX AI Traffic Editor V1.1 but it will not allow adding additional aircraft.

I'll have to take that issue to another forum,

phrog x 2.jpg

23 hours ago, Rupert said:

I'd be in favor of a list of places for entrants to visit and post their views, yet allow the entrants to fly there in their own manner and time.  As well as change aircraft or even sims if they so choose.  I'd much prefer ... exploring places of interest enroute.  There are lots of different scenery packages available on tons of different formats   As long as everyone completes the event within a set time frame of days or weeks.

Good thoughts Rupert ... back to the basics of flight!  Jonathan Livingston would approve.

Following on from Defaid's work on the Australian rally itinerary I have screen grabs of the airports on it.

The following are for FS9 with VOZ 1.8 installed.

Perth/Jandakot YPJT, the pic is for default FS9/VOZ. (There are two sceneries available for it but for various reasons I have neither installed.)

JandakotYPJT.thumb.jpg.3917b3964eeae3b23131b102adcc50dc.jpg

Hyden YHYD is not available; Katanning is Defaid's suggested substitute.

Katanning YKNG:

KatanningYKNG.thumb.jpg.7f856026785a436d62a650e05f9798c2.jpg

Norseman YNSM is present but in my version the Rwys don't appear (this could just be my ground texture combinations.) can others confirm if rwys are present in their FS9 installations?

NorsmanYNSM.thumb.jpg.5453331664d89a79146f5bef1875907e.jpg

Caiguna is not present but as Defaid said the VOR 112.5 is.

Loongana is not in FS9/VOZ

Forrest YFRT pic below:

ForrestYFRT.thumb.jpg.15f7b064fc740b58c805cee694432c39.jpg

Nullarbor Homestead not in FS9/VOZ

Ceduna YCDU:

CedunaYCDU.thumb.jpg.12b2668d69ab6b4fba57f117238234e3.jpg

Port Augusta YPAG:

PortAugustaYPAG.thumb.jpg.a2d65ea57549aba89336df9fba8fefb7.jpg

Cambrai not available, Renmark YREN substitute:

RenmarkYREN.thumb.jpg.5b8ff4c7cff6be96caf1cf209965b077.jpg

Tintinara not available

Naracoorte YNRC:

NaracoorteYNRC.thumb.jpg.a4bc7c3d20b53ebd3ba3fdfe81b081bb.jpg

Warnambool YWBL:

WarrnamboolYWBL.thumb.jpg.8c3b6eacc6ffb83c5b5930fd6747d1f0.jpg

Apollo Bay YAPO not available

Moorabbin YMMB:

MoorabbinYMMB.thumb.jpg.b57bc8768f061a2678fe2557edbf9a22.jpg

Frederick Hill not available.

Suggested substitute Mangalore YMNG:

MangaloreYMNG.thumb.jpg.6e21aac142724a2be5f23ca8ac62afcf.jpg

Tocumwal YTOC:

TocumwalYTOC.thumb.jpg.9ffb6fd21357f2392234e4ad38257a0d.jpg

Narrandera YNAR:

NarranderaYNAR.thumb.jpg.842457e9101777494f72ad91ba4cd1d8.jpg

Parkes YPKS:

ParksYPKS.thumb.jpg.0d217ef510e9419bae8d79532b3dc44a.jpg

Bathurst YBTH:

BathurstYBTH.thumb.jpg.3512ba89a8db642ec4e98021cb279c3e.jpg

Sydney Bankstown YSBK:

SydneyBankstownYSBK.thumb.jpg.8dd98652c7d34d7cf91452c523d530ac.jpg

Thanks for the work Defaid.

I am happy to go with whatever format people want/decide upon.

• Like 2

Almost enough to tempt me to go back to FS9. 😪

The FSX scenery for those fields are barren by comparison, and there doesn't seem to be many freeware add-ons for them either. I may try the Orbx packages and see how they work, but their UK stuff is quite disappointing, the scenery round my home area is NOTHING like the RW. 

Regards

Kit

Going by the fact that through Plan-G I was able to plot a Flight Path to every Airport defaid charted, it means that there's something there in the Sim. It might be nothing more but a Grass or Dirt strip, but there's something. 😋

I will drop the four Add on Airports I found in the File Library into my Sim and report back on how they work and look. 🙂

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Apropos of nothing at all to do with flight rallies, does anyone know of a step-by-step tutorial for doing FSX repaints please?

They use the DDS file format, which is a total pain to work with as it needs to be converted twice before it can be edited, and when I' convert them back the results are rubbish. 😪

Regards

Kit

How about a total different routing? 

For Ex. Down the Eastcoast... from North to South:
(If we would do that, there would be allready Free and Payware Sceneries available in FS9).

I suggest the routing as followed: 
Cairns - Townsville - Toowoomba - Gold Coast - Ballina - Coffs Harbor - Port Macquarie - Sydney - Canberra - Melbourne - Hobart

411363402_10231429646874350_3888144036819690178_n.thumb.jpg.65b915e401d6cc704324b18dff6bd5c0.jpg

32 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

They use the DDS file format, which is a total pain to work with as it needs to be converted twice before it can be edited, and when I' convert them back the results are rubbish. 😪

I am not a repainter, still have to learn that skill, but this tool is very useful from what I have read for dealing with the DDS file format.

https://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

44 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

Apropos of nothing at all to do with flight rallies, does anyone know of a step-by-step tutorial for doing FSX repaints please?

There are several discussions out there but not a  really clear step by step, however, I've come up with a few things that help me. I'll put these into a short tutorial of sorts. As for the DDS etc, sometimes it's a bit of save and try. I use DXTbmp and paint.net for all my repaints. Freeware is the only way for me. Give me a few days.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

4 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Jonathan Livingston

Great reference.

phrog x 2.jpg

56 minutes ago, Airbasil_1 said:

How about a total different routing? 

For Ex. Down the Eastcoast... from North to South:
(If we would do that, there would be allready Free and Payware Sceneries available in FS9).

We will most likely never find routing that offers great amounts of scenery for all the various FS versions at the same time.

Also, there has been a lot of planning done by several participants for the southern route.

I'd say, let's stay with the southern route as we can always do a "Down Under #2" later.

phrog x 2.jpg