A Rare Bird

Some shots of a B747SP, a stubby, shorter version of the original 747.  Only a few of these were ever built. The airplane is on approach and landing at LAX.

These shots are a good example of the graphics and scenery in X-Plane 12.  Not quite as photo-real as MSFS2020 but pretty darn good.  Been spending a bunch more time in X-Plane since there are more legacy early jet airliner models available.  Hoping that 2020 (or when FS2024 shows up) devs will start reaching back for more of these non-glass classic models.

Passing LA Center City

image.thumb.jpeg.e5edd44a9b18cc753620f01a927bd391.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dccc502ea67475abee3fd5dbc4716d7c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d247c30cde8b0feae6913f335dacc51d.jpeg

On the approach to Runway 25L

image.thumb.jpeg.5542049faf3aeca35d5139a9b92ef7e2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f284440a1517557ab9249b27c5aed6a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2122f64041c423912b94d2c587d4dc60.jpeg

Touchdown and taxi off the active past the iconic LAX dome.

image.thumb.jpeg.b17c54080c8e56e332e3f2271135f074.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b9f2b242be719d108f3afd1faaf1df33.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.10460e8a1d25d7c639ca5d63afe0241a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.977b12d51ee4744b4748ef05b759cafe.jpeg

To the ramp.

image.thumb.jpeg.9e6af0d0d9d596638ca8a71283e7654c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fccd7f821054447cb939e8699493f995.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.53e72506fc440a743a875df977736f0a.jpeg

• Like 1

Outstanding set for an outstanding aircraft.

Love all the shots, especially the right side in flight over LA and the  nose shot on the ground.

It definitely has the LA smog down correctly.

BZ

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

59 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Outstanding set for an outstanding aircraft.

Love all the shots, especially the right side in flight over LA and the  nose shot on the ground.

It definitely has the LA smog down correctly.

BZ

Thanks,  Phrog.  X-Plane AI is responsible for the off-centerline landing 😬

1 minute ago, BillD22 said:

AI is responsible for the off-centerline landing

Blaming it on your system, you know better than that! 🤣

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

12 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Blaming it on your system, you know better than that! 🤣

I do 😀.  That said, AI in both FS2020 and X-Plane is useful for screenshots but otherwise FUBAR.  If I had to pick one thing that needs vast improvement (other than a realistic depiction of convective weather) it would be the AI.  Are you listening devs ⁉️

Nice shots.  Having said that, I'm not a fan of any AI. in my automobile.  I have hands, feet, and eyes plus I still know how to look out the windshield, I don't need a device to drive for me while I text, clap my hands, or play video games, or in a verified instance, taking a nap complete with a pillow in the drivers seat of a Tesla!! 

IMO there is a great exception to that rule.  The new Auto Land systems some RW GA manufacturers have started installing on new aircraft is IMO a wonderful idea!  If a GA pilot has a heart attack or whatever, anyone aboard an Auto Land equipped aircraft can pull a single lever to engage Auto Land.  The plane will then find an appropriate airport, announce it's approach and the need for 911 help, then safely land the aircraft without human intervention.

Recently RW a CJ was flying from somewhere in the South to a destination in New England, if I remember correctly.  The professional Pilot In Charge passed out and the plane continued on auto pilot till it ran out of fuel.  The following crash killed not only the pilot but also a young mother and her small, I believe infant child, who were passengers aboard with no concept of operating aircraft flight controls.  They were flying around for hours or more without any chance and the mother knowing they were all going to die in the crash.  Auto Land probably would have saved at least two lives that day, and possibly the pilot's as well. 

How cool would that have been!

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

48 minutes ago, jgf said:

we still cannot trust our computers to even save files, now we're going to let them drive cars.

And I will never understand anyone who favors autonomous flying taxis, etc.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

22 hours ago, Rupert said:

Nice shots.  Having said that, I'm not a fan of any AI. in my automobile.  I have hands, feet, and eyes plus I still know how to look out the windshield, I don't need a device to drive for me while I text, clap my hands, or play video games, or in a verified instance, taking a nap complete with a pillow in the drivers seat of a Tesla!! 

IMO there is a great exception to that rule.  The new Auto Land systems some RW GA manufacturers have started installing on new aircraft is IMO a wonderful idea!  If a GA pilot has a heart attack or whatever, anyone aboard an Auto Land equipped aircraft can pull a single lever to engage Auto Land.  The plane will then find an appropriate airport, announce it's approach and the need for 911 help, then safely land the aircraft without human intervention.

Recently RW a CJ was flying from somewhere in the South to a destination in New England, if I remember correctly.  The professional Pilot In Charge passed out and the plane continued on auto pilot till it ran out of fuel.  The following crash killed not only the pilot but also a young mother and her small, I believe infant child, who were passengers aboard with no concept of operating aircraft flight controls.  They were flying around for hours or more without any chance and the mother knowing they were all going to die in the crash.  Auto Land probably would have saved at least two lives that day, and possibly the pilot's as well. 

How cool would that have been!

Agree with all especially the autoland.