Back with FS9

ScottishMike

21 hours ago, Skywatcher12 said:

while those who are still charging forward are constantly complaining and miserable.

First generation software = you pay to be a beta tester.

I stay with what works til there is an overriding reason to move on.

• Like 2

Thanks @ScottishMike for your unadorned thoughts.

I'd penned a much longer comment than this but it seems that almost any statement concerning 2020 is controversial and the sim every bit as divisive as larger issues affecting the whole world. Even Nels has succumbed.

I'm on the cusp of spending a ton of cash on a new PC, driven by reviews of Starfield and my (limited) experience of Bethesda. And a new-found need to discover what other entertainment is out there. The proposed hardware should run 2020 perfectly well but I'll be holding off investing in the new sim. The reason? Mike's comments are the first dispassionate review I've read and I think I'd find the current version of 2020 frustrating despite its visual appeal.

I'll be moving forward as soon as what I have no longer meets my requirements. I'll stop when I find a suitable replacement.

4 hours ago, Skywatcher12 said:

Jim,
I have a notification you quoted me but your post is gone. POOF!
Honestly, come join us, we are so happy here and you could be too!
I'd love to have you join the fun! 😎

Put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I've never seen the point in getting into a pissing contest between different flight sims; each will have things it does well others not so well and some things not at all.

What matters is knowing what is important to you and how well, if at all, the software you are contemplating buying handles your requirements. (Often not as easy as it sounds).

We are all pretty unique in how we sim. My set-up is a desk in a corner of the living room, I have two speakers, a 19” monitor, a mouse and keyboard. My internet connection is OK at 62 mbits. Most of the time the room is shared with the rest of the family, I like to be able to keep half an ear on the conversation and not be totally isolated from them. With FS9 I can do this and be as immersed in the sim as I wish while not isolated from others in the room. (A VR head set would be too isolating).

The nature of the virtual cockpits in MSFS2020 means multiple monitors and/or a VR headset are almost essential. I have used my keyboard and mouse successfully since FS3 (no joystick, no pedals, no throttles).

If I wanted full immersion I'd hire a plane from my aero club and go for a real flight (assuming I could afford the hours to keep my licence current and pass the medical).

The degree of props required for us to have that “Suspension of Disbelief” and subsequent immersion varies from person to person.

When we were kids two pieces of wood nailed together sufficed, we could then “fly it” round the back yard, the plane could morph from a barnstorming biplane to a B52 and that patch of gravel from JFK to an arctic strip.

Unfortunately as we grow older the imagination wanes and we become self conscious, we can no longer “play” we now model and simulate. Lets all get back to playing the sim game we enjoy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

The degree of props required for us to have that “Suspension of Disbelief” and subsequent immersion varies from person to person.

Lets all get back to playing the sim game we enjoy.

Exactly. And why I'm happy to not change to anything else.  I enjoy it, it does everything I want, and thats good enough. 
Use what you want. 😎

• Like 1

• loki locked this topic