What a blast from the past!

I so appreciated the detail of the pre-computer world of aviation.

Whiz wheels and piles of performance charts were the tools of legions of pilots.

Systems, systems, and more systems.

I wonder about the future pilots who will come from a computer driven world where the detailed understanding of how the plane works are overshadowed by the "coolness" of the next app upgrade.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Yes, Tony gives us a good look at the earlier days. It's interesting that Tony mentions Arthur Hailey's Airport, which is probably the most accurate aviation movie I've ever seen, that is in terms of aviation details in the way ATC, aircraft and airports operate in real life (especially at the time). I've got the book, and the movie also is one of the few that actually follow the book very closely. Otherwise only a couple of Gann's books had a movie close to their details (The Fate Is The Hunter movie's only relationship to the book is the title).

It'll be interesting to see the rest of his trip, too. Thanks Tony.

17 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Whiz wheels and piles of performance charts were the tools of legions of pilots.

Yes, the paper charts (including for IFR), E6B, plotter, etc. etc. etc. Narco still had some of the best (general aviation) radios when I started. Though I was general aviation, Tony's airline stories still bring back many memories, including parking a C-172 next to the Milwaukee main terminal and having a fine dinner with wife and friends, then departing back to Illinois that same evening- lots of neat stuff, even listening to the late night radio chatter around Chicago (I lived in Joliet). Wow!

And I can still recall the early electronics E6B (Sporty's, I still have it) and checklists (I have one for the C-172, compliments of Sporty's because I was a CFI -- it's even labeled "Compliments of Sporty's" -- it still works too). And I still have my first GPS, a Trimble Flightmate (Model 19075) with 4 lines of LCD text that I picked up at OSH (1993), clumsy to say the least, but had a good aviation database, all just barely a start into the electronic age of aviation.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!