Douglas DC-4 and C-54, V3.0 by Jens B Kristensen

Cas141

I have this brilliant aircraft which I fly a lot.

Makes a lovely change from my fmc jet airliners and Garmin G.A planes.

I always use VCs and good as the one in the DC 4 is, I do wonder if it is missing a DME gauge.  ?

Navigating an approach using VOR frequencies and a stopwatch does concentrate the mind😀, but I would have thought that DME would have been available in the cockpit.

( I have tried to follow the instructions in the CalClassic link about editing the panel cog to bring one in, but it hasn’t worked for me)

Is there a way version of Jens plane somewhere that might have a DME gauge? Or has anyone managed to get one into the VC somehow?

Can anyone assist please?

Adding a gauge to a VC is usually a bit of trial and error as often where a gauge appears on the VC "panel" is not where it appears in the actual VC (has to do with how the designer mapped the VC);  a "quick and dirty" workaround is to replace a gauge you never use with the one you want, the downside is the location may not be where you would like that gauge to be.  I read those instructions and they are correct ... for adding a gauge to the 2D panel;  adding to the VC is the same procedure but without some idea of the coordinates beforehand it's pure guesswork and luck to get the gauge somewhere on the VC where you can see it, then tweak the coordinates to move it where you want (you probably had the gauge on the VC but it was outside the cockpit or beneath the floor). 

According to this thread - https://calclassic.proboards.com/thread/9297/adding-dme-gague-jbk-dc - there is an updated DC-4 which has a DME.

If you wish, send me the link to the plane you're using and I'll take a look (I'm no expert by any means, but have created dozens, or more, panels over the years).

Thanks jgf, for your offer of help. I am no good with links. I’m flying the fsx DC 4 by Jens Kristensen v30x.

I have also downloaded the plane you refer to as having the DME gauge but installation into fsx ( It’s an fs2004 plane) refers me to a set of instructions presumably found on cal classic site, but there being no search facility  God knows how I find them.

I’d have thought a paragraph describing what to do would be ok , but no, I’m referred to a hard to find article.

oh, well  …..

thanks again

CalClassic recommended the DME from Shupe's D18S, which I had, so hope there's no issue with attaching it here;  extract it and place in the gauges folder or in the panel folder of the DC-4. 

Add the following line to the end of the "[Vcockpit01]" section of panel.cfg:

gauge16=Tripacer_DME!DME,  260,25,133,54

This places it in the top center of the panel just below the lamps.

Tripacer_DME.zip

On 8/2/2023 at 6:20 PM, jgf said:

CalClassic recommended the DME from Shupe's D18S, which I had, so hope there's no issue with attaching it here;  extract it and place in the gauges folder or in the panel folder of the DC-4. 

Add the following line to the end of the "[Vcockpit01]" section of panel.cfg:

This places it in the top center of the panel just below the lamps.

Tripacer_DME.zip 24.97 kB · 1 download

Thanks for this but I haven’t managed to get it to work 🙁.

I extracted everything to the panel folder and inserted the line in the panel config as instructed but nothing showed.

So I tried putting the line at the end of the Vcockpit 5? Which pertained to the overhead panel ( in view of where you said it would appear, I.e. under the lamps by which I took to  be the landing lights?), but it didn’t work there either.

The FsX I tried it on was on my laptop using Windows 7 - Could that be the reason?, shouldn’t have thought so, but you never know.

my main sim computer uses fsx on windows XP, and I try any amendments on the laptop first.

oh, and I first tried by putting the extracted stuff in the gauges folder.

Anyway, much thanks for trying. I expect it is my lack of computer skills somewhere but I do very much appreciate your efforts to help me. 

It should have appeared on the main panel just above the rpm1 gauge.   If you have

[Vcockpit01]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$pan1

gauge00=douglas_dc4!manifold_12,  20,137,118,118
gauge01=douglas_dc4!manifold_34,  138,137,118,118
gauge02=douglas_dc4!rpm12,  256,137,118,118
gauge03=douglas_dc4!rpm34,  374,137,118,118
gauge04=douglas_dc4!fuel_pressure_12,  20,255,118,118
gauge05=douglas_dc4!fuel_pressure_34,  138,255,118,118
gauge06=douglas_dc4!oil_pressure_12,  256,255,118,118
gauge07=douglas_dc4!oil_pressure_34,  374,255,118,118
gauge08=douglas_dc4!flaps_indicator,  383,377,92,92
gauge09=douglas_dc4!radio_compass,  20,19,118,118
gauge10=douglas_dc4!PropSync,  404,34,81,81
gauge11=douglas_dc4!OMI Lights C54G,  138,19,118,118
gauge12=douglas_dc4!LightInTrans,  73,391,23,23
gauge13=douglas_dc4!LightsGear,  40,421,86,27
gauge14=douglas_dc4!annunciator_oil_left,  183,  399 ,20,26
gauge15=douglas_dc4!annunciator_oil_right,  182,432,20,26

and the Tripacer cab file in either the gauges folder or the airplane's panel folder it should display.

I think it will only show if added to [Window.00]  Main panel.  You cannot modify a VC by just adding something to any of the [VCockpit] entries.

Then the DME gauge will show in the 2d cockpit view!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The 2D panel and the VC are completely separate entities, that's why they have individual sections of the cfg file.  Oh how I wish adding something to the 2D would automatically place it in the corresponding spot on the VC.  The difficulty working with the VC is that the coordinates refer to the plane of the 3D model on which the gauge is placed, while on the 2D panel they refer to the left and the top of the screen. 

In this case the DME appeared where I wanted it ...after a couple of tweaks to reposition it slightly.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:52 PM, jgf said:

It should have appeared on the main panel just above the rpm1 gauge.   If you have

[Vcockpit01]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$pan1

gauge00=douglas_dc4!manifold_12,  20,137,118,118
gauge01=douglas_dc4!manifold_34,  138,137,118,118
gauge02=douglas_dc4!rpm12,  256,137,118,118
gauge03=douglas_dc4!rpm34,  374,137,118,118
gauge04=douglas_dc4!fuel_pressure_12,  20,255,118,118
gauge05=douglas_dc4!fuel_pressure_34,  138,255,118,118
gauge06=douglas_dc4!oil_pressure_12,  256,255,118,118
gauge07=douglas_dc4!oil_pressure_34,  374,255,118,118
gauge08=douglas_dc4!flaps_indicator,  383,377,92,92
gauge09=douglas_dc4!radio_compass,  20,19,118,118
gauge10=douglas_dc4!PropSync,  404,34,81,81
gauge11=douglas_dc4!OMI Lights C54G,  138,19,118,118
gauge12=douglas_dc4!LightInTrans,  73,391,23,23
gauge13=douglas_dc4!LightsGear,  40,421,86,27
gauge14=douglas_dc4!annunciator_oil_left,  183,  399 ,20,26
gauge15=douglas_dc4!annunciator_oil_right,  182,432,20,26

and the Tripacer cab file in either the gauges folder or the airplane's panel folder it should display.

hi.

my panel config is as above.

the files in the Tripacer zip are in the gauges folder.

In my sim objects/airplanes folder are two folders relating to the DC 4.

1. JBK DC4 Panel and Docs V3

2. JBK Douglas DC-4 V3.

In the panel folder of #2 it says the config is aliased  to the panel of #1.

the panel config is in the panel folder of #1.

I still have no DME shown in the  V cockpit.

I am at a loss as to why , I have found that any amendments to fsx have worked in this laptop running Windows 7.

Thanks for your help but could there be a requirement to do something in the panel config file at the beginning under Windows Titles or Views.?

is the version of the JBK Im using, I.e      JBK Douglas DC-4 V3.     be the right one ?

I did say earlier, in error, that I was using V30x.

Could that be relevant?

cheers

@jgf please show a screenshot of the DC-4 panel showing the dme gauge.   I am still convinced that adding a new gauge to the [Vcockpito1] will not cause the gauge to show in the Virtual cockpit.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

gauge.thumb.jpg.d500ef4bc813f382a639f3e979d8f8bd.jpg

To replace a gauge (asi, alt, etc.), just change the name of the gauge to the one you want to use.  To add a gauge, find a suitable spot on the VC panel, note what gauges are near that, check their coordinates in the cfg file, interpolate what coordinates your gauge should have, add the new line and check position in the sim, exit and adjust as necessary.  In this case I noted the position of RPM1 and positioned the DME slightly to the right, noted the position of the top of the gauges in the top row and placed the DME slightly below that.

1 hour ago, Cas141 said:

hi.

my panel config is as above.

the files in the Tripacer zip are in the gauges folder.

In my sim objects/airplanes folder are two folders relating to the DC 4.

1. JBK DC4 Panel and Docs V3

2. JBK Douglas DC-4 V3.

In the panel folder of #2 it says the config is aliased  to the panel of #1.

the panel config is in the panel folder of #1.

I still have no DME shown in the  V cockpit.

I am at a loss as to why , I have found that any amendments to fsx have worked in this laptop running Windows 7.

Thanks for your help but could there be a requirement to do something in the panel config file at the beginning under Windows Titles or Views.?

is the version of the JBK Im using, I.e      JBK Douglas DC-4 V3.     be the right one ?

I did say earlier, in error, that I was using V30x.

Could that be relevant?

cheers

If your panel is aliased to another you must make the changes to the panel the alias points to.  No other changes should be needed to the cfg beyond adding the new gauge line, and make sure the gauges in that section are numbered consecutively, if there is a break in the sequence gauges after that will not load.

What I have is "FSX Douglas DC-4 and C-54 V3.0" from avsim;  "This base package includes 24 colour schemes covering the period 1942-2006, including Pan American, USAAF, SAS, Loftleidir, Buffalo Airways and many others. Version 3.0 model for FSX, with improved flight dynamics, more accurate panel and improved detail in the virtual cockpit. Model by Jens B. Kristensen. For FSX only".

Well, I’ve think I’ve succeeded. 

Since your last post , I have downloaded the DC 4 …”FSX Douglas DC-4 and C-54 V3.0".

from Avsim, and using this version I have got the DME as you have.

I amended the panel config as you said, and put the Tripacer cab file in the panel folder.

( Note- the cab file I put in as was, I did not put in the files of the cab file as extracted separate files. That may, or may not be relevant)

I concluded from this that it only works with the above version of the many downloads that Jens has done of the DC4.

I have also noted that the DME only works with the VOR 1 of the DC4, and not with the VOR 2.

This is on my laptop running Windows 7. I have yet to try it on my main FSX set up on my XP desktop.

• 4 months later...

I am really pleased with the DME ability now in my DC 4.

But I have started  using the “green” NDB beacons more and more for navigation, in other planes, but the ADF dials etc do not work on the DC 4.

The VORs work but not the ADF.

Has anyone managed to get them to work, or know how to get them to work?

16 hours ago, jgf said:

Are you close enough to receive the NDB signal?  Most only have a range of 25-30 miles.

(And yes, never extract the cab files for gauges;  they're designed to work as is.)

Yes, they work fine in the Beechcraft and Mooney. In the DC 4 , of course, they are dialled, and accuracy comes into it😀

But, I’ve double checked that, adjusting the dial etc, but not a glimmer from the gauge.

7 hours ago, jgf said:

Check the radio section of aircraft.cfg that ADF is enabled.  And are the radios and indicators the same as used in the other aircraft?

Thanks-   Yes, done that. The ADF is shown as =1.

radios and indicators?   No. They are as they were in RL. The. ADF is a dial. You turn to locate on a dial. E.g  If you’re looking to select 337 then you move dial to  between 330 and 340, find halfway, then edge just past to where 337 might be😳
I’ve tweaked around there but no reaction on the gauge.

Im pretty sure it’s not modelled in. In the original, there was no DME gauge. A later amendment has enabled one to be added.

I wondered if same had been done for the ADF.

Well, my next thought is make sure the ADF radio and indicator are FSX compatible.  Copy the indicator gauge from a working aircraft and place it anywhere on the 2D panel, doesn't matter where, this is just a test;  if it works then the issue is with the old indicator.  If it still doesn't work, copy the ADF radio from the same plane and try again;  if the new radio and indicator work, both old gauges are incompatible, if both indicators respond to the new radio then the old radio is the problem.  If this doesn't work there are deeper issues, probably in the aircraft.cfg file;  back it up and replace its entire radio section with one from a working airplane.

Thanks for your input ,but you’ve lost me a bit. 
Have you used Jens DC4.  The version I have is meant to be for FSX.

I don think this is important enough for me to try things I’m not fully understanding, but Thanks for your help.

I'm just trying to troubleshoot if the issue is with the radio or with the aircraft.  If another radio and indicator work then it is an issue with the original radio;  but if a different radio doesn't work, the problem is elsewhere in the aircraft. 

Adding another radio is merely editing the panel.cfg;  if you are not comfortable doing that, send me copies of the DC4 panel.cfg and of one of the default aircraft (from which we will borrow a radio and indicator) in a zip file (you'll have to rename one of the cfg), I'll make the edit and return the cfg, then you back up the original panel.cfg, put the edited one in its place and see if the new ADF works. When we're done just remove the edited cfg and replace the original.