Local storage footprint of MSFS 2020

For the great majority of members who are ahead of me and already own and use MSFS 2020, I have a question about storage:

I am downloading my copy from Microsoft website, it says I need 150 gigs of hard disk space for the installation files to download.  My question is how much a fully deployed, uncompressed, fully featured installation of MSFS 2020 occupies on your hard drive? I am the type who would like to load locally whatever options available so I am talking about the maximum size, with the Premium Deluxe version and 40th Anniversary update? 

My FSX folder, for example, takes a horrendous 582 gigs off my 1TB ssd! But I have TONS of add ons.

FSX_Size.jpg.3e430ff54f955c81877276e73c1ba6fb.jpg

One can right-click on the MSFS folder and see this through properties. It is to do with planning my storage allocations. Thanks in advance to any respondents.

Khalid

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Founder

It's going to vary, because you are not required to install everything. I.e., the world updates with enhanced regional scenery are optional, so you choose whether you want them or not.

I just looked and my "official" folder has 220 GB and my "community" folder has 24 GB. I've installed some, but not all, of the world updates and currently only have  2 or 3 payware add-ons and a few freeware sceneries.

Here's my installation Khalid, MS Store Premium Deluxe 40th Anniversary edition with all updates and a clinically obese Community folder:

spacer.png

The clinically obese Community folder on it's own:

spacer.png

So, according to my calculator, 708GB - 367GB = 341GB. This is why I have a 2TB WD Black SN850X main drive with a 1TB Samsung 870 SSD for the disk image backup!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The official packages (everything which is free plus some commercial add-ons) use 335 GB, my community folder uses 26 GB.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32Gb RAM,

NVidia Geforce RTX 2600, 3 Monitors (two 1280 x 1024, one 1920 x 1080),

SSD 1000 GB and SSD 500 GB

Thank you Nels, Tim, and Grimsel for your inputs. The insight it gave really helped me plan my hardware ahead of MSFS computer build. 

Best wishes.

Khalid

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 weeks later...

I keep all my addons on a separate 2TB SSD and manage them with MSFS Addons Linker - I've got around 1TB so far. This keep the Community Folder under control by utilising the presets and only loading what I need for a particular flight.

The main MSFS is on a partition on my 2TB main drive. Just a note of caution, never let a disc (or partition) get above 80% capacity as Windows needs some headroom to manage the files.

I bought a 1 TB NVME drive and wish I had bought a 2 TB one.  A year later I bought a 2 TB NVMe drive and now wish I had bought a 4 TB one.

If you want to use any addons you need quite a bit of storage.  I have used up 1.7 TB so far.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)