Think computer overheating and will loading less processes help?

Cas141

Hi, 

lately when running FSX the computer has intermittently stopped as if overheating. If I restart I seem to get away with it not happening again.

It got bad a while back, with frequent lock ups,  and I finished up going into the bios and loading optimised defaults. Things seemed cured ,immediately, however there have been a couple of freezes since, but some days I have no problem.

I am still hopeful that this is an overheat problem ,now almost non existent and , if it is, I am mindful that stopping some Processes which load automatically on booting the computer, may help.

My computer runs at 2.93.  It runs Windows XP.

It now is only used for FSX and Over Flanders Field flight sims.

Trackir 4 and Flightsim Commander run too.

settings limit fps to 30.

It is not now connected physically to the Internet.Hasn’t been for a couple of years.

it had been overclocked mildly for some while , but then this problem started about a month ago.— Warm Summer,? Upstairs room.?

The “optimised load defaults” bios  move clearly changed that, and things dramatically improved. In fact, I thought the problem was gone, but a couple of times it has come back. Last time was when flying David Maltby’s Comet 4b using VC…….. a very detailed cockpit.

So, maybe a heavy demand on the cpu.

Anyway, if it is heavy use of the cpu plus heat, I was thinking of reducing the number of Processes which start at boot up and which run in the background, a lot of which are not used and just use up resources. 
Years ago I remember a site called Black Viper,

(Black Viper’s Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Configurations)? in which it was shown which of these processes should/could be stopped from loading.

I think the idea is that it frees up more of the cpu for FSX ( or other games) to use.

Has anyone any experience of this and whether it is beneficial or otherwise to try it.?

Open your computer case up and clean all fans, filters, screens, and heatsinks. Then run FSX.

If it still freezes take the computer cover off and run FSX.

Shutting down processes isn't going to cool off your computer.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

57 minutes ago, JSkorna said:

Shutting down processes isn't going to cool off your computer.

If those processes are consuming a lot of resources, using the CPU heavily, then it might make a difference, but otherwise your suggested cleanup is a pretty fair bet. And if that doesn't do it then perhaps a small fan blowing on the case, through slots in the case, etc. might help.

The overclocking might be a part of the problem, too -- that often heats things up under load, such as FSX.

While it can't hurt to reduce the number of startup processes, and it'll maybe free up some computer resources, only those with heavy demands would contribute to an overheat.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Use a can of compressed air to clean the computer, as JSkorna said. But do have a helper ready with a vacuum cleaner to catch the blown-out dust, there could be a lot of it.

And if you have the system unit on the floor, then don't! Get a stepstool, a small shelf, some books or what you can find and get it off the floor, that's where dust goes.

Jorgen

Thanks chaps. I should have added that as a result if the first shutdowns I cleaned the inside of the computer with compressed air. 
It is an oldish computer ,:I.e made when XP was preferred to ME😀

And, Jorgen, yes, it is on the floor. Thought that’s where the colder air was, but yes, I take your point re the dust.

Loki, take your point re the thermal paste. Though twenty years ago I built a computer, now I’m at the wrong side of 70, I’m not sure of delving into the bowels that far now 😀

( think that will be a last resort.)

Inuss….that’s an idea re the small fan. I have a large humidifier elsewhere in the house which puts out cool air, but it would be too high methinks.?   Will look to see if small humidifiers exist.

Thanks  again.

If the system is old, checking that thermal paste is in line;  I've had systems only a couple of years old where it was already drying out.  And not just the cpu, some boards have heatsinks on other chips, if these are removable (spring clip or couple of screws) they should be checked.

It may be the power supply overheating;  put your hand on the supply, or even on the case over it, after a shutdown, you'll know if it's too hot.

Also do a thorough malware scan.  An infection could be running background processes and using up the cpu.  (After such an incident years ago  I've used a little utility - CoreTemp - that gives a system tray readout of cpu usage and temps.  Anything suspicious there and I immediately check Task Manager processes for new listings.)

Well, still got issues. It looks like I will have to replace the thermal paste.

I am somewhat apprehensive about this , but I should be all right if there aren’t any unexpected hitches.

first, this replacement is a long time coming🙄, so from what I’ve just read on YouTube the paste could be solid!?
Someone said to run the computer for a few mins before doing the paste change because the heat will make it easier to remove the old paste.?? Good idea, or not.?

looking at worst case scenario, I.e a new computer. I would want to run the FSX install that I presently  have on my computer.  As well as going to the dark side, I.e. MS2020😀

( I would have SSD drives  etc and no doubt get MS2020, or 2024 to run on it, but I’d like somewhere on it , to have this old FSX install.😀)

I know I’m getting a bit head of myself, but if it comes to a new computer, and I install FSX from my discs, I know there is advice about how to get it to run properly on Windows 11 etc.

my question is, once I get FSX running , is it possible to then replace the FSX folder with a copy of the FSX folder I have on my present computer (if I make a backup of my present FSX folder, before I give up on it.)

IOW, would that give me the same scenery, planes, config file, etc , as I presently have.

Or is that not possible because of the different Windows O.S.

And if that’s the case, could I download Steam FSX, and do it that way?

I may  be way out with my thinking here, but if I don’t ask I won’t know😂

On 7/11/2023 at 12:24 PM, Cas141 said:

It is an oldish computer ,:I.e made when XP was preferred to ME😀

Like all machines, computers don't last forever. If that computer is, what, past 9, 10 years old, best to replace it and not waste your time and effort. With the global glut of RAM and storage devices, it's a good time to look for a bargain deal and buy a replacement. Prices are low right now, this summer of 2023, lots of sales and discounts. After any efforts to revive that computer, you're still going to have an old computer that will be prone to failure when the motherboard or power supply peters out. And you'll be pleasantly surprised at the performance boost from moving to some new hardware technology. Do yourself a favor and don't let your old computer become a money pit or a time sink.

One of the most rewarding parts of my job is when I get to make older computers run well by upgrades, adding SSDs, RAM, etc., But there comes a point when computers get so old that they need to be decommissioned, put out of service and retired. The Dells I work with are, with rare exceptions, reliable workhorses.  But when they entire what I call the "driving on bald tires" stage, it's time to replace, not extend their use.

I have found the older systems more stable and reliable than newer ones.  The oldest I still use is an XP system I built in summer of '03, it serves as a media center connected to my TV and stereo, and cannot be replaced because I can find no modern equivalent of its Audigy 2 audio card with full Firewire panel and remote control.   My online computer started life as a 2009 emachines which I bought from a neighbor when she was packing to move;  I have upgraded it as far as it will go;  now on its fourth power supply, third vid card, and second cpu, added a secondary HD, later replaced primary HD with SSD and moved primary to secondary, replaced Vista with Win7;  since buying this I have built two "gaming rigs", both dead and buried.   When I see the prices in sales emails from online vendors I do not regret what I've put into this over the years. (admittedly RAM, SSDs, and HDs are dirt cheap now, but ... $500 for a cpu?  over $3k for a top line vidcard?  1800 watt power supplies?)

A lot of the people who replied to your post have said solid things. The shutting down of processes will not do much good and it isn't practical either. In my humble opinion your computer will benefit from a good, thorough dust off, using an air blower. reseat your cards and memory chips after cleaning the contact pins with a rubber eraser. and finally if you are conversed enough, take off the heat-sinks including the CPU and GPUs clean up the old thermal paste scraping then with alcohol and apply fresh high quality paste then reseat the heatsinks and fans. make sure nothing is blocking the ventilation of your case or is obstructing the thermodynamic flow of cool air.  Additional fans won't go amiss or heck even using a larger, more spacious case like a full tower (you don't need to take out a mortgage to buy one, try eBay for pre owned, these last an eternity).  Good luck hope my two cents' worth helps.

• Like 1

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

18 hours ago, kalizzi said:

A lot of the people who replied to your post have said solid things. The shutting down of processes will not do much good and it isn't practical either. In my humble opinion your computer will benefit from a good, thorough dust off, using an air blower. reseat your cards and memory chips after cleaning the contact pins with a rubber eraser. and finally if you are conversed enough, take off the heat-sinks including the CPU and GPUs clean up the old thermal paste scraping then with alcohol and apply fresh high quality paste then reseat the heatsinks and fans. make sure nothing is blocking the ventilation of your case or is obstructing the thermodynamic flow of cool air.  Additional fans won't go amiss or heck even using a larger, more spacious case like a full tower (you don't need to take out a mortgage to buy one, try eBay for pre owned, these last an eternity).  Good luck hope my two cents' worth helps.

Thanks …..

Yes, I have  gone some way to alleviate the effects of heat. Opened up the case and blown away dust with air compressor; resting case off the floor now; got a cold air blower at the front intake. And ordered some thermal paste.

however, it has been pointed out to me that broken capacitors give the symptoms I have  been experiencing . Shall have to have a good butchers re. that.

Funnily, yesterday, I had the computer on doing some looking at files etc, no flight simming etc, and it behaved. I then went on to have a good flight sim session with no lock ups!
Almost as if the computer needed some time to settle before really tasking it.?.

is that wishful thinking, or pure hope, or could that be relevant for some reason

( connection warming up😀?)

ftldave….point taken, but a new computer would throw up its own problems re loading and running fsx and peripherals etc etc….. but, it might come to that…last resort.😀

I think you can forget about the "broken capacitors", because:

1. If they are really broken, your computer would quit working altogether, and

2. They are on the motherboard or other circuit boards, and most likely surface-mounted, in which case you would have to be a trained technician to replace them, and (again)

3. To find out which are broken, you would need the manufacturer's testing software for the involved boards.

The best solution all around for you is, budget allowing, to look for a new computer...

But adding a fan is certainly going to help, and when you get around to re-pasting, remember to use the paste sparingly.

Jorgen

The first symptom of a broken capacitor would be a dead motherboard. Wouldn’t go past the POST test. These are visibly easy to spot, looking bloated and oversized. And like Jorgen pointed out you can’t replace these easily yourself. Is your computer case small or overcrowded? 

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 hours ago, kalizzi said:

The first symptom of a broken capacitor would be a dead motherboard. Wouldn’t go past the POST test. These are visibly easy to spot, looking bloated and oversized. And like Jorgen pointed out you can’t replace these easily yourself. Is your computer case small or overcrowded? 

I’m not going to worry about trying to correct iffy capacitors, but I did wonder about them.Stuff on the internet did suggest my symptoms  could be iffy caps. ( I don’t think an iffy capacitor necessarily means a dead MB, from what I’ve read)

I don’t think that is the reason, but if it were then I wouldn’t mess any further with the computer.

I’m now encouraged that it is a heat problem. As I’ve said, the computer case - a large one- has been opened and cleaned with small air compressor . The case used to be on the floor but is now on a stand. Also, I now have a fan blowing cold air into the front intake all the time.
When  I start the computer I let it run a while before starting FSX  etc

( At no time when using the computer just for files etc, I.e. not flight sims , has the computer stopped!)

Since the above actions, I had a trouble free flight all morning - hurrah- so, fingers crossed, I might have gone in the right direction,.

Watch this space😂

Thanks for all your inputs.

That topic is something of a deja-vu for me. I apologise if I am repeating some of the points but I just remembered what happened to me years back; Did you replace thermal putty and properly seat your heatsinks (cpu and graphic card)? I have bought a larger more efficient CPU cooler fan (I think it was by Zalman) with lots of copper and heat exchange fins and a larger fan. That seemed to have ended my woes. Best of luck with your situation. 

Khalid

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you , Kalisz I.

I think I have cured the problem 😀

every day since my last post I have flown everything from Mooney Bravo to Airbus and I have not had one reset or shut down.

What I think did the trick was the dehumidifier blowing cold air at the input fan , that I purchased, throughout the computers usage.

seems to have done the trick . Small and cheap, but it works!

thanks to everyone for their inputs .

On 7/24/2023 at 5:35 PM, Cas141 said:

Thank you , Kalisz I.

I think I have cured the problem 😀

every day since my last post I have flown everything from Mooney Bravo to Airbus and I have not had one reset or shut down.

What I think did the trick was the dehumidifier blowing cold air at the input fan , that I purchased, throughout the computers usage.

seems to have done the trick . Small and cheap, but it works!

thanks to everyone for their inputs .

You're welcome Cas, so happy you're all sorted and have a stable platform now. It's a very smart use for the cold dehumidifier exhaust! That's an original and makes perfect sense. Kudos to you. 

Khalid 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]