Well, it ain't like it used to be, but, through forums on MSFS2020 I have managed to utilize tedious workarounds for many shortcomings (mainly navigational) since UPGRADE 1.33.8.0. An important one that still stymie's me (and obviously many others) is the loss of REVERSE THRUST. The F2 key (or any other selection), for toggling REVERSE THRUST, doesn't do diddley. With the exception of mouse-shoving the REVERSE THRUST levers full forward, nothing I have tried has any effect, and that action doesn't show the engine cowling sliding back in exterior view.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Apologies if you've already seen these, but there are links on flightsimulator.com to a checklist, manual and tutorial video for the AAU2 787: How to operate Boeing 787 Dreamliner - Microsoft Flight Simulator / Official Tips & Troubleshooting - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks once again Tiger. Yes! Really love this aircraft so I have watched mucho videos and read through most everything concerning it. Like others, whenever these problems arrive, it makes you wonder if you are alone. I'm just glad I don't have to pay for all those "other-end-of-runway strobe lights I destroy when I don't stop in time.

This is probably not a revelation to most, but as the saying goes, if it helps just one soul, it's worth it. I've viewed this video (link below) by a gentleman known as Huddison a few times in the past. But in that past, since my F2 key toggled REVERSE THRUST, I had no need for any other means to utilize such. That ship has since sailed. Now, on my HOTAS X, I chose the NUMBER 8 button to do the job. That button is on the throttle column of the HOTAS, so it is a one-handed operation, but, as the command states, you must HOLD the button down, also while giving it positive throttle . Nowhere near as neat and handy as tapping the F2 key after touchdown, but it brakes the aircraft. Also, when the F2 key functioned properly, the external camera would show the engine cowling sliding back when applied. Not so with HOLD REVERSE THRUST. But it brings that B787 beast to a stop. If you don't release the button, the craft will start backing up. 

Hope this makes sense and my explanation isn't confusing.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=msfs2020+reverse+thrust&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Djt3CiPb20g0

• Like 1

I've never flown the 787 or 747. To be honest, I only flew the A320 once or twice for old time's sake - I flew the wings off the airliners in FS2004 and FSX, so I'm bored to tears with them now!

Even so, I can't believe they'd deactivate the F2 command for reverse thrust? I'm currently in lust with the "Expert Series" ATR and F2 works on that.

Have your key bindings been re-set after the last update by any chance?

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Tiger texted.....Have your key bindings been re-set after the last update by any chance?

YES!   More times than I care to remember. I even tried assigning other keys, like F10. No luck. But thanks for all your sage advice on this post and others from which I've gleaned good info from.

OK you got me. I finally gave in and got into the 787 on runway 23L at EGCC Manchester, UK. Oh Boy! Where are Mr Chekhov and Mr Sulu when you need 'em?

Must... resist... temptation...

I did manage to resist, but not before I release the parking brake, press AND HOLD the F2 key and this happened:

spacer.png

Yep, press and hold the F2 key for at least 5 seconds and she starts to reverse, keep holding and she accelerates in reverse until the speed brakes activate. You have to press F1 to set the throttles to neutral again.

Beautiful, beautiful bird... NO! I DIDN'T SAY THAT! Back to the ATR!

Where's my white flag? I hate surrendering, but perhaps the time has come. Except for the A320 neo, I cannot get the external view to indicate reverse thrust is activated. Left screenshot shows the Airbus 320 neo with engine cowling indicating reverse thrust. Out of the four default airliner types (2 Airbuses & 2 Boeings), the neo is the only bird that will show this feature on my puter.

Right screenshot  shows the F2 key is assigned to TOGGLE THROTTLE REVERSE THRUST and the F10 key is assigned to HOLD THROTTLE REVERSE THRUST. Both do function as a braking tool. Of course, the F10 key must remain depressed to function.

Airbus Neo F2 key REVERSE THRUST.jpg

Keyboard Reverse Thrust.jpg

I think we might be onto something with these keyboard assignments; I just checked my reverse thrust commands and look at this:

Toggle-Reverse.jpg

There's nothing assigned and yet F2 activates the reverse thrust - so I did a search for every F2 input and this came up (outlined in red):

Decrease-Throttle.jpg

B I N G O!      Tiger, you've done it again. F2 assigned as above did the trick. Would you be my Guru? A GREAT BIG THANKS!

Don't know where you go from Super Grand Master but you deserve it. Maybe an oak leaf cluster?

B787X with REVERSE Cowling.jpg

• Like 1

Good News! Being able to help in these situations is a reward in itself, getting a successful result like this is the cherry on top!