Helicopter formation flying.

PhrogPhlyer

I uploaded and flew from Stefan Liebe's FSX Scenery--KJRB Heliport New York. In real life, this heliport is actually barges, not a pier. Along with being a great addition to flying around NYC, I was please to see that the an AI  New York Airways H-21 helicopter preparing to take off.

For anyone wanting to add a very challenging aspect to their flying, try formation flying with AI aircraft. Fixed wing is a challenge, helicopter even more. 

Great view out the East River towards the Statue of Liberty.

image.thumb.jpeg.156c68ee0b5968af4b85c88e830baf9a.jpeg

Lots of blades in close proximity.

image.thumb.jpeg.06e8a6016cfb473c0dc8c96ccc1931f2.jpeg

View out the bubble.

image.thumb.jpeg.a16f67388eaec75d766aaf18719021b2.jpeg

Heading towards LaGuardia and points north.

image.thumb.jpeg.f6649849faad0b0d4d2ee86db41aa7f8.jpeg

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

10 hours ago, Macroburst said:

You don't have TCAS mounted on your machine???

In its own way we all have a visual TCAS with the traffic information (type a/c, distance, altitude) we see in the sky from AI aircraft in the area.

No TCAS in the Bell-47, and it would do nothing for you for formation flying.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

26 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

Interesting idea!

Thanks Nels, I've been flying AI Form off an on for years. The biggest drawback to formation flying on an AI aircraft is not knowing its speed or when it might turn. I'll have to write up a simple formation primer one of these days.

phrog x 2.jpg

• Founder
19 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Thanks Nels, I've been flying AI Form off an on for years. The biggest drawback to formation flying on an AI aircraft is not knowing its speed or when it might turn. I'll have to write up a simple formation primer one of these days.

That would make an interesting front page feature article. Let me know if you'd like to do that and we'll make it happen.

17 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

Let me know if you'd like to do that and we'll make it happen.

Sounds good. I'll follow up with you directly.

phrog x 2.jpg