No snow in FSX

cowbananas

Just wondering if there's any way to trigger snow on an 8000 foot mountain range in FSX. This mountain range, in the real world, has heavy snow in the winter but none at all in FSX, regardless of the month.

The country is Lebanon.

I went to the center of Lebanon, flying at around 8000msl.

I set the season to winter, and there is snow everywhere.

This is looking NW towards the village of Baskinta.

Baskinta.thumb.jpg.f91123e263063da239e012c072af9167.jpg

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

49 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I went to the center of Lebanon, flying at around 8000msl.

I set the season to winter, and there is snow everywhere.

This is looking NW towards the village of Baskinta.

Baskinta.thumb.jpg.f91123e263063da239e012c072af9167.jpg

Must have been a cold ride for you PhrogPhlyer considering your altitude and the lack of substantial cockpit heating...lol

i7 8086K @ 5.2 GHz, H115i Pro Cooler, GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7, 8GB GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz, 250GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 500GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 1TB WD Black, EVGA 650watt SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD, Corsair Black Obsidian Series 750D case, LG Ext Blu-ray/CD/DVD, Win 10 64bit, Samsung 32” Odyssey G70B 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync

17 minutes ago, p14u2nv said:

lack of substantial cockpit heating

I always have a large thermos of hot coffee with me! ☕

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I've had a look...I selected 'Winter Wonderland', saw the snow right down to sea level.

Switched to 'Custom weather' but can find no way to only have the snow on the mountain tops. Is it possible, I'm obviously missing something here? Thanks for your help. 

59 minutes ago, cowbananas said:

'Winter Wonderland',

Selecting the Winter Wonderland is a weather feature with active snow falling, selecting winter is a seasonal feature changes ground and vegetation.

As far as I know the default season ground textures are built into FSX and can only be changed by those who create different ground textures or scenery.

phrog x 2.jpg

Yep,

There were times military choppers could get pretty cold.  I remember more than once flying in -0C weather or worse in a CH-34 or CH-46 with no heat system at all installed 

The powers that be decided the weight cost of a heating system just really wasn't worth the effort. That's when the old WW 2 era leather flight jackets with mutton collars really came into play.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

1 hour ago, Rupert said:

leather flight jackets with mutton collars really came into play

Oh yes.

phrog x 2.jpg

[quote]As far as I know the default season ground textures are built into FSX and can only be changed by those who create different ground textures or scenery.

"PHROGPHLYER" is absolutely correct.[/quote]

The seasonal appearance (texture content) of all FS sceneries (that's FS98/2000/2003/2004/and FSX) is always as compiled. It can't be further manipulated to display more than is compiled .... unless the author/s of any scenery choose to or are otherwise persuaded to edit more into what's compiled than is actually first provided.

MRC  

14 hours ago, cowbananas said:

I've had a look...I selected 'Winter Wonderland', saw the snow right down to sea level.

Switched to 'Custom weather' but can find no way to only have the snow on the mountain tops. Is it possible, I'm obviously missing something here? Thanks for your help. 

You cannot add snow just to the mountains by using the weather menu. You would need to start to edit scenery files that are related to those mountains.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

No, the details are out of my range of knowledge. But in general it would mean finding the .bgl file for those mountains and then editing the file. Yes, you changed to winter, but what date? There is a 5th season that is set by the date called hard winter. Also note that you are going to get snow textures everywhere, not just at those mountains.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

It was January but I'll jump around a few days at a time and see if that works. It's just mountain snow I'm after but it's not a deal breaker, just a bit of realism.

I'll find the bgl file, I know where it lives, back it up and see what I can do with it. 

Well, here is a work around that is probably way off base and will get the derisional jeers. But...

In ADE there is a landclass for Ice and Glacial Ice that looks like snow. You could fly to the mountain, use ADE to make a ground poly landclass of ice on the area you want,

and see what it looks like. You may need to put it in a separate airport folder to turn off/ on, but if you want snow year round, just put it in the Addon scenery/ scenery folder.

Not sure if you would need to create a "fake" airport there to make it work. You would, unless there is a closeby airport.

Dan

7 minutes ago, dlfrenchmd said:

a work around

I learn so much from everyone's work arounds and techniques.

This is what I appreciate most form our forums.

phrog x 2.jpg