MSFS2020 Failure to start

I have been using Microsoft Flight Simulator since FS4 in the late 1980s and have had every edition.   Up until MSFS2020 I was able to manipulate the contents of the software, manually adding or removing components.
I have been using MSFS2020 for over 2 years now, buying a new computer to run the programme.  I tried the programme using a one month trial on X-Box and subsequently purchased it.   The download and installation was straightforward.   It has run flawlessly during this time, updating regularly without any problems until this week.
I mainly fly the FBW A320 on short haul trips around the UK.   
I had not used the software for approx 3 weeks and when I came to start it the loading stopped at approx 75% along the progress bar and reverted to the X-Box screen.   I have tried numerous times to start it in the past few days.   Each time it gives me the option to start in SAFE MODE or NORMAL MODE, neither of which work.
I am looking for some advice on what to try next.   For info I am 76 years old, fairly computer literate but may need step by step guidance

TerryB

Asus ROG STRIX B550, Ryzen 5800X, Gigabyte 3080 10GB, 16GB 3600DDR4, 2 x 500GB SSDs, 3TB HDD, Corsair 4000X case, 27" HP monitor

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

3 hours ago, tiger1962 said:

Thanks for the link.  I will check it out

TerryB

Asus ROG STRIX B550, Ryzen 5800X, Gigabyte 3080 10GB, 16GB 3600DDR4, 2 x 500GB SSDs, 3TB HDD, Corsair 4000X case, 27" HP monitor

HI Tim,thanks for the advice.   Unfortunately when I followed the link everything worked until I selected 'FILES' when only one option was available, 'CHECK FOR UPDATES'.   There was no option to 'VERIFY AND REPAIR'.   I tried to CHECK FOR UPDATES but there was no response.   I may have to uninstall.   I noticed that only 2GB was showing as installedon my machine, compared with 123GB on the support site but I don't know if this is relevent.

TerryB

If it's only showing as 2GB installed, then something has gone very wrong. It's much much larger than that, as I'm sure you know.

Sounds like someone is headed for a reinstallation...Good luck!

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Well, I bit the bullet and uninstalled / reinstalled MSFS2020, which took a long time to download.  Today I had 2 short flights in 2 different aircraft from 2 different airports and everything seems to be operating correctly.   Now I need to reinstall the FBW A320 and several optional updates.

Thanks for your input, which persuaded me to go down the uninstall / reinstall route.   I won't be as nervous about it if I need to do it in the future.

TerryB

• 3 weeks later...

I can save you the pain of a FS reinstall !!

Like you all I have had issues from time to time and every time I have cured them - by fixing the X-Box app. It occasionally goes a bit crazy but usually we will start the PC and MSFS but the X-Box app updates during. Result: no loading. then we need  Task manager - select MSFS - end process to get back from its froen state to the desktop again.

So Prevention:   before starting MSFS I go to Microsoft Store and load my library then ask for updates - catch one then and loading MSFS should go OK.

And Cure:   I find the easiest way to fix X-Box app is to uninstall it - reboot PC - go to Microsoft Store - select from available apps and install. It comes back with all our details and settings so no worries and is quicker than messing about with "repair". (To do that Windows Key - settings - apps select - uninstall (then as above).

There may be some obscure combo of your rig vs a happening which means reinstall can't be avoided but so far I have never had to (after that first time 2 years ago before I found this out).

Also remember that so much of this sim comes to us from "out there" rather than being on our machines (scenery of course but also preferences and controls) so if their servers have a glitch almost anything can happen to us (only last night - trim runaway and controls frozen after moving to full deflection (ouch!) Usually it all comes back online soon after.

Hope this helps