many problems returning to an XP setting up dual monitors!

Drax83

ah, I recognise the driver name now. Google could not find it (!)

but the new driver installer is

v32_gxm_2_07_01_001_whql.exe

(so that looks similar)

-------------------------

Be aware, it is intended for the Matrox dual head analog wit Part Number: USB powered model, P/N D2G-A2A-IF

check if you see this part number somewhere on the device!

(Weird though, it says, quote: )

Software suite for DualHead2Go DP Edition, TripleHead2Go DP Edition, DualHead2Go Digital Edition, TripleHead2Go Digital Edition and DualHead2Go Analog Edition (USB powered model, P/N D2G-A2A-IF).

(So I woul expect multiple part numbers. Possibly the Part Number only refers to the Dual analog. (the wording is not 100% clear I think.)

-----------

As you have the other driver installer file stored (v32.gxm_2-07-01_100_whq (1).exe 2011.), I think you can safely try / install this new one. You can always revert back to the older driver if necessary.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In case you have a different part number:

-first try installing the driver you already have again. (no need to remove, just reinstall).

-If no improvement, you have to decide for yourself if trying the new driver is a good idea. As their site led you to the older driver, I'm starting to think the newer driver may not work with your device!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yes, The bar code on the box states D2G-A2A-IF.

Seems manuals and information given by this manufacturer has come into some criticism before, in some circles I been looking at.

Wether its worth trying the one you first showed me, wont do any harm Im sure, its worth trying anyway. Im going for evening teatime now, so I will uninstall the 2011 version first and have a go with this one, later on this evening. Thanks so much for your help, i understand these Matrox boxes have many versions and Im not the only one who seems to have problems making them work ...let you know how I get on later, cheers my friend:)

Wait up, I now see the link I gave you leads to a long list of drivers. Can you give me a info on the driver you are now trying?

-you said 2013

-filename?

-link to page where you see the licence agreement on matrox page. (one step before downloading)

I see now the one I found, was this one:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/?id=436

(which is the same you already had!)

Something went wrong. The link I gave you previously leads to a general page with many drivers. I don't know what you found there.

When I created the link I picked the adress from the adress bar when I had only the XP driver on the screen. But the created link here leads to a general page instead.

[sorry about the mixup]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nevermind posting a link.

I found the driver you had found. You said:

2.13.00.106 SE U WHQL -- Jun. 19, 2013??

that was easy to find on that page.

That is not for the Matrox dual head 2 go.

It looks like it is for some kind of PCI matrox card.

I suggest at this point you just reinstall the driver you already had, or download it fresh from the link I gave in my previous post and install it.

EDIT:

You will need to need to uninstall your current driver first !!

for good measure the link again:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/su...wnload/?id=436

and check the page says: part number: D2G-A2A-IF

Release date: Jun. 3, 2011

And here's a link to the user guide:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/media/pdf/products/gxm/en_dualhead2go_guide.pdf

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

mea culpa (3x)

In the user guide I see (at the bottom) that the connector for the videocard is supposed to be HD15 (same as VGA, different name only).

I think that means your matrox requires an analog signal.

You said early on the connector on your card is DVI-D

(emphasys on the D)

Problem, a dvi-D sends only digital signals.

And I think your matrox needs to recieve analog.

have a look here for example at the various plugs. (or google dvi and find the wiki)

http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm

A analog DVI (dvi-I or dvi-A) has 4 pins in placed above and below a 'plate-pin'. those send the analog signal.

If yours videocard dvi slot has only a horizontal slit on one side (left side when facing the connector) and that has no holes two above and below the slit for four pins, you will be out of luck I fear. Because in that case you have indeed got a DVI-D connector on the card.

DVI-D sends only digital.

I'm a bit cofused. I see many passive DVI-D to VGA connectors (the ones you have, small block) offered on the web, but I don't understand fully how those work. Somehow they create an image, but, and that's the important bit,

they do not convert digital to analog.

I think what you would need for the matrox to work is on the videocard either a true analog port. So a VGA port, or a DVI-A or DVI-I (so with the four pins).

Or, if you stay with this videocard, it may be possible to use an "active adapter". one that actively transforms the digital signal from the card to a analog signal that can be sent to the matrox.

These things exist for DVI-D to VGA

example: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI2VGAE-1920x1200-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00C93JQXS

And they also exist for HDMI to VGA.

not 100% sure this is the problem (as in, why do these passive converters exist if they don't work...), but something to look at.

EDIT: I found a thread where several people say dvi-d to vga adapters exist but don't actually work.

here's another nice explanation of the various DVI types:

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As long as the port is a DVI-I port, it will output the same VGA signal as the VGA port. All the passive adapter is doing is mapping the analog signal to the correct pins on the VGA output. At this point it is no different than the signal coming from the VGA port.

Yes, but you are talking DVI-I

According to this DVI-D to VGA passive connectors exist, but do not work:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/371678-33-adapter-whaaaa

You will need on the videocard the 4 pins (around the flat pin) for a analog connection. (so DVI-I or DVI-A).

Either that or a videocard with a vga connector.

The specs for his card list DVI-I, which is also reinforced with the inclusion of the DVI-VGA adapter. Perhaps he has a faulty adapter, which is always possible.

This really sounds like an issue with getting the correct drivers installed for the Matrox box, and the correct Catalyst drivers for the video card. I would suggest contacting Matrox support to make sure you have the correct driver installation file.

Thanks guys, really:)

Im afraid you were right about that 2013 software not being the right one, I un-installed the earlier one, and tried to install the one from the list. It got as far as starting the installation window, then told me NO Matrox GMX product found. Installation will now close! So thats definitely out of the window, but was worth trying. I re installed the 2011 software again, and this installed, but again, after restart, the INF file was still missing, and mode and config wasnt available.

As the DVI D comes straight out of the sound card, Im guessing its a mismatch of putting a VGA cable onto it, thats all I can think of. Loki, I un installed the catylist program, and just re installed the CD graphic card software. however, as we know, most bog standard hardware comes with software that needs updating to newest one. But unfortunately, to update the sapphires Driver, its part of the whole catyalist exe. I cant just install an updated driver for it, without the whole works. The fact, that another trouble shoot I did the other day, like an auto check my matrox setup returned this message:

Matrox cable detected:

Dual head 2go analogue edition mode detected NO:

dual link DVI support NO

Seems to suggest that hardly anything is compatible right now.

Im really thinking of going a simpler way, get another Graphics card that supports a 27inch wide,screen monitor resolution,Buy that out of funds from selling the other screens and the matrox, and just use the one monitor using the the correct DVI D cable to graphic card like I have in the other rooms windows 7. The Samsungs I can probably get my money back, and Im sure I can resell the Matrox box again, its a pity the person who sold it to me lost the software driver disc, that may have installed everything correctly. I saw that startech adapter cable on our own Amazon uk site for £23, I really dont know wether its worth trying?? According to the catylist program, when i try and install it, it warns me, Im not using the correct OS, which Im guessing should be windows 7, so in reality, maybe just because Im an ATI person and the catylist program wasnt designed for Windows XP, I believe I will probably never get anywhere with what Im using. Its late, But since installing a decent thustmaster Hotas driver software and not rely on XP's probably out of date, game controller windows drivers, my aircraft have started to behave themselves, and did a complete 30-40 min flight to the Isle of man. ok back to drawing board morrow, thanks for all the replies and if you think I should go a different way please let me know. nite Mike

As I suggested above, contact Matrox support directly to see if they can point at the proper driver files. For the Radeon card you should be able to install just the driver by doing a custom installation and unchecking the Catalyst Control Centre option. AMD's download site should point you at the latest drivers for your video card.

If you do go with a single larger monitor, yoir current card should support the higher resolutions, up to 2560x1600, through the DVI port. Just be sure to get a monitor with a DVI port. Keep in mind that resolutions that high are going to be a big load for that particular video card, and performance may suffer.

Morning Loki, No The DualHead2go has never shown up in device manager, since I connected it, it depends maybe on what device heading this comes under,obviously not a human interface device. All that shows is the ATI sapphire, as the Display Adapter.

I did find something not expected, the computers processor specs was supposed to be only 1.8ghz. But in system information, its a 2.1 Intel dual core, maybe thats why The aircraft and the interface seems to run good on midway settings?, now the Thruster master drivers have been installed. I did a complete IFR flight from EGCC-EGNS with the add on British Airways 320, with ATC, flight was crisp, excellent graphics and sound, no jerking, controls, and the Saitek undercarriage / Lighting pro console panel all working fine.

Windows XP has never discovered the Dualhead,((but its connected direct to rear USB,port wether a powered Hub would make a difference I dont know, again more money paying out which may be wasted) like Windows 7 would find, in fact I cant seem to find the folder that the Matrox software is installed. When I try to open the folder its in, its greyed out! Dont like these Automatic Winzip files, this one doesnt give you a choice as to the path you want to install it too, it just unzips, finishes, and then window disappears in seconds. yes the BenQ monitors are very popular, many sales of them, all come with DVI D and a VGA and HDMI. just have to save up now, cheapest is £152 on Amazon.uk. need car MOT though by 24th may, not looking forward to that :(

tried that iI88pp.:(

No joy, opened device manager "default" monitor, no better driver found

tried the other monitor called "Plug and play" Monitor. No better driver found. Then the device manager reverted the monitor back to "default".

I found the matrix power folder program path, and copy pasted it in the search manually window but that just threw up a message saying , no better driver found. It didnt find the matrox dual head, so it remains missing from my device manager under monitors.

browsed for updated driver on both listed monitors says none available than the windows one installed. so step 4 shown: Select device: I have two to choose from, top one is "default"

under that shows the other monitor "plug and play monitor". browsing the C:\Program Files\Matrox Graphics Inc\PowerDesk, on each monitor returns no other driver available, when trying to update them. Opening the folder itself, there is no INF file In the Matrox program. but funnily enough several ATI catylist files, the names of which mean nothing to me. I printed all 4 sections of the instructions on A4 and took them with me into the flight room, but my design of the interface shown is not the same, it could be the above looks more like a windows 7 update driver transaction? The XP one is entirely different, and is not as clear cut as the link directions shown, but done my best, but page 1, thats shows "change display mode", I do not have that on right clicking Matrox power desk icon, and then set up, on opening either left or right click it opens a window for set up, NOT change display mode. but tells me to restart computer first. The monitors and resolution window shown at top of page 1 I dont have at all. If I restart computer, because it says I have to!! then I just get the same error message I showed you on the screens earlier, when it trys to install the Matrox box. "GMX dualhead2go analogue edition installed with errors", and thats the errors listed on the photo on screen. The INF file is not in the matrox. exe. program folder, I been through it with a fine tooth comb. Cheers.

Archived