Which flight sim shall i buy?

I should clarify my previous answer...:

1. Go for a 64-bit P3D, at present those available are v. 4.5 HF3 and v. 5.3 HF2. That way you don't have to deal with the 4 GB VAS from the 32-bit versions (and FSX).

2. Check the system requirements, because:

2a. You did not specify how "high-endish" your system is, and

2b. The different versions have different requirements.

And if you have any questions, please ask here or in the P3D forums.

Jorgen

• Founder

All of the current major sims are valid choices. A lot really depends on your personal wants and preferences. If you want the sim that is currently the most mainstream and thus has the largest choice in add-ons, that would be MSFS 2020. But Prepar3D and X-Plane are also valid choices and have large fan bases.

Nels,

I positively HATE to differ with you - sort of.

If by "largest choice in add-ons" you mean ready-out-of-the-box, then you may be right - I don't know a thing about MSFS add-ons.

But I will say that tons, tons and tons, of add-ons that are out there for FSX and the early versions of P3D can be used with P3D v. 5 - I do that myself. You have to run many sceneries through a small converter utility that you can find on AIG, but then they do indeed work. AI aircraft for FSX work, and flight plans for FSX too - FS9 flight plans have to be converted to the FSX format, but that was true for FSX also.

Just my bent nickel's - well, 5 Euro-cent's worth.

Jorgen

• Founder

I'm sure you're right about the number of FSX add-ons, and if they can be brought forward into P3D v5 that certainly is a benefit.

But for the OP who has previously used FSX and now has a high-end PC and wants something more modern, I don't think bringing in adapted add-ons from years past is really what he's looking for. If you look at what sim new add-ons are being created for, MSFS 2020 seems to be getting the greatest number.

If you want a flight simulator that works go with P3D. If you want a flight simulator full of bugs go for MSFS.

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:13 AM, jorgen.s.andersen said:

I am biased - but go for Prepar3D. Check the system requirements first, though.

Jorgen

Concur. MSFS is currently at the `teen` version, and STILL does not show full-functionality. Also, you'll need a fast internet access for the over-the-air frequent updates, whereas P3D is just `plug and play` AND WORKS. out of the box. Needs a reasonable web speed for downloading, mind. MSFS is `prettier` but only you can decide whether that is more important for your needs.

I've bought it twice and returned the POC both times for a full refund.

I'm paused and waiting for P3Dv6, due shortly, so we are told - much software has already upgraded to v6 in preparation.  

On 5/13/2023 at 8:17 AM, Nels_Anderson said:

All of the current major sims are valid choices. A lot really depends on your personal wants and preferences. If you want the sim that is currently the most mainstream and thus has the largest choice in add-ons, that would be MSFS 2020. But Prepar3D and X-Plane are also valid choices and have large fan bases.

I agree with all of the above.  If you can only have one, though, I think MSFS2020 is the future even with its various bugs.  Once you've flown the graphics it's hard to go back - even when the autopilot does weird stuff.  Sort of reminds me of the old song about U.S. soldiers returning home from France after WWI.  "How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree?"

The main current downside in MSFS2020 in my view is the lack of legacy jet airliners like the early Boeing and Douglas 707s, 727s DC8s, and 9s, etc., and no apparent interest by current devs in bringing them in.  There are multiple and redundant versions of the same glass Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, CRJs, etc.  Captain Sim - where are you??

If you've got the computing horsepower, disk space, and internet speed and can afford multiple sims I'd go with MSFS2020 and the current version of P3D.  That way you've got pretty complete coverage of the modern glass and the FSX/P3D carryover of many different legacy steam gauge aircraft.

1 hour ago, BillD22 said:

can afford multiple sims

Agree with your comments but, there's the rub.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

3 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Agree with your comments but, there's the rub.

I hear you Phrog.  That said, you can get the basic versions of both sims for $120 total.  There are more than enough freeware airplanes, liveries, and scenery for both  to keep you going for quite some time without any additional cost.  Compared to the cost of everything else these days I think that's a pretty good deal for essentially unlimited entertainment!!

6 hours ago, BillD22 said:

The main current downside in MSFS2020 in my view is the lack of legacy jet airliners like the early Boeing and Douglas 707s, 727s DC8s, and 9s, etc., and no apparent interest by current devs in bringing them in. 

One dev announced work on a 727.

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/swsfsr

PMDG brought over their DC-6.

https://pmdg.com/pmdg-dc-6-for-msfs/

Aero Dynamics is working on a DC-10.

https://fselite.net/content/aero-dynamics-dc-10-kc-10-for-msfs-progress-update/

And there are others coming. Being essentially a new sim, it will take time for devs to bring more aircraft to MSFS.

https://msfsaddons.com/2022/06/20/our-continuously-updated-list-of-aircraft-under-development-for-msfs/

13 hours ago, BillD22 said:

The main current downside in MSFS2020 in my view is the lack of legacy jet airliners like the early Boeing and Douglas 707s, 727s DC8s, and 9s, etc., and no apparent interest by current devs in bringing them in.  There are multiple and redundant versions of the same glass Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, CRJs, etc.  Captain Sim - where are you??

And Project Global is working on a freeware Boeing 707. But quite some time has passed since the last update on their progress.

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 32Gb RAM, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, Windows 10, TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition, Samsung SYNCMASTER TA550
https://nfm-addons.ch/
https://www.instagram.com/nfm_sceneries/
https://flightsim.to/profile/nico_lszk

10 hours ago, jorgen.s.andersen said:

I do not know where MSFS stands today on the topics of AI traffic and military aircraft, since I only had it on my system for about 30 minutes when it first came out.

But these are areas where P3D shines - or at least can be made to shine.

Jorgen

Check the link I shared above for an idea of what aircraft are in the pipeline for MSFS, including military ones.

https://msfsaddons.com/2022/06/20/our-continuously-updated-list-of-aircraft-under-development-for-msfs/

Blackbird (formerly MilViz) has a Corsair out, with more coming.

https://blackbirdsims.com/flight/product_listing.php

At least one developer is working on bringing military AI to MSFS.

https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing-room/preview-of-our-first-msfs-package

I second the emotion of having more than one.  As far as MSFS is concerned, go with the basic version unless you absolutely positively must have either an airport or an airplane that is included in one of the higher priced versions.

P3D is probably a dead end, and never was really intended for the hobbyist - apparently everyone using it in that manner is skirting at least the edges of the various licenses, although I don't think anyone is in Sing Sing or Brixton on account of it!

MSFS 2020 is so stunning, visually, that I forgive any of its' minor issues, most of which have to do with the typical MS flight model issues, which I suspect that P3D shares.  For realism, or more properly more of it, in flight models, XP is the go-to sim; either 11 or 12.  Lots of good quality add-ons these days, and the benefit of ortho scenery which you can cobble up yourself using ortho4xp.  All you need are a few husky outboard hard drives to hold it all!  Unless you are really attracted to on-the-margins visual effects, XP 11 would do very nicely, with the aforementioned add-ons and especially the SimHeaven scenery add-ons, which are a must, especially in XP11 with ortho.  With all of that, most of which is free, you can come very close to FS2020 visually, at least if you are not interested in actually finding your own house.

For combat, of course, nothing that I know of comes close to DCS World. 

Another niche area of the hobby is classic times simulating, or what might be called the Time Machine.  Previously, this was the exclusive domain of FS9 and, to a certain extent, FSX through HJG and Cal Classics.  But now, courtesy of RedWing, a new series of sceneries is becoming available for the 1935 era for FS2020, both for the USA and Europe, at least in parts.  So FS2020 is slowly coming of age.

All things considered, if you choose not to get both XP and 2020, I'd recommend 2020 since you are already used to the flight models in FSX. 

HJG and CalClassic are both available for P3D, including for v. 5. I have them myself.

I know from an announcement on MAIW that they are developing for MSFS, but I have not seen the finished product yet.

And yes, from what I saw when I had MSFS on my system, it was visually stunning - and all eye-candy. The flight model issues it has are not shared by P3D, which actually has different flight models for different aircraft, which MSFS did not have at least at that time. P3D more or less uses the FSX flight models, and the file structure is about the same. Also, the structure of and parameters in FSX.CFG is similar to prepar3d.cfg.

If one is used to FS9 or FSX, the logical way to go is P3D - which, BTW, is not a dead end. Updates for it are just not coming out in the same tempo as for MSFS...

Jorgen

[quote]HJG and CalClassic are both available for P3D ....

.... I too have Cal Classic installed in P3D but did not know that HJG could be adapted to P3D also. Is it a complicated procedure to bring HJG into P3D?[/quote]

As a representative of HJG I need to say the (some of the) HJG supplied simulations might load into/display with P3D, but, they're actually not fully compatible (some model animations will not work or won't work properly) .... is the only "honest" statement and is what people need to be aware of. 

There's no resolution for this.

HJG simulations were compatible with the very earliest of P3D versions (V1 and V2 I think), but, that compatibility was lost as P3D progressively advanced to later and its current version.

I've already had this confirmed by another P3D user whom is a senior ADMIN at another FS service.

HJG don't want anyone to be under any false impressions 🙂

MRC

• Like 1

Thanks MRC. That is what I have read about it at the HJG site which is why I haven't tried to put it in my P3D version 3. Too bad since I really enjoyed your planes (especially the DC-8) in FS9. Any chance that HJG might update it to be compatible in P3D?

-Randy

One can put'em in P3D .... but .... just be aware certain animations likely won't work and which is why I prefer saying "not compatible".

[quote]Any chance that HJG might update it to be compatible in P3D?[/quote]

I wish it was as easy as that, but, unfortunately it's not ..... for a multitude of reasons ranging from the lack of source data to proprietary rights etc.

HJG is, and will remain, an FS2004 and FSX show for the duration of its existence.

MRC