The Most Comfortable Way to Get There Fast

Back before flying became just another way to get somewhere.

Love the add, and the one point "Congenial Starlight Lounge."

Congenial is not a word used often in the commercial aviation world.

I'd gladly take a longer flight, if it could be in a Connie.

The only commercial aircraft that I'd make an exception to my general rule "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going."

Not a big Airbus fan.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Great Poster!!  That view reminds me of the posters for Hindenburgs.  And of course great exterior shots as well.  Those must have been the days!!

I've sat in a Super Connie but it was configured for inline seats only.  It had a 1st class section but no "Starlight Lounge."  Having said that, even in "Cabin" or "Tourist" class, the seats were wider and the knee room deeper than I've seen in Business class the last several years.  And I don't even want to talk about how crammed you are in every single aisle commercial plane I've seen in forever!

Thanks Bill 

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

19 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

ads that the railroads ran while trying to attract a similar audience of passengers.

This Pullman add offers a private car that is like having a home on wheels when travelling coast to coast.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2249db06cb9a2dcd15d7d7a836c9bba.jpeg

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Great ad as well!  In the early 1960s my family took a Pullman trip from Louisville Ky. to Tampa Fl. we had two compartments that looked exactly like those show in that ad.  As I remember it was about a 30+ hour trip each way.  My step dad was a railroader so he got a huge discount but it still must have cost a ton!!  Also the Pullman Only Dining car served full meals using real china and silver plate. 

Even the 1st Class Piano Lounge on a 747 flight to Narita from the US didn't measure up to the food in the Pullman Dining car.  And though the 747 seats were very wide and comfortable and hugely reclined, we weren't offered a bed with sheets or a private bath on the plane.

• Like 1

Nice ad Phrog.  Interesting how the people in the ads are dressed for travel in a more genteel age.  Men in suits and ties and women in nice dresses whether for business or pleasure - not today's grunge tee shirts and shorts.  The stewardess and women passenger's high heels might have been a little tricky in an emergency evac though 😆

On 4/17/2023 at 9:54 AM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Love the add, and the one point "Congenial Starlight Lounge."

I suspect travel to and from the Starlight Lounge in the aft cabin probably required some frequent retrimming!

2 hours ago, BillD22 said:

Men in suits and ties and women in nice dresses whether for business or pleasure - not today's grunge tee shirts and shorts.

Back when people actually cared about how they presented in public. Unfortunately this also applies to flight crew. I saw a First Officer at EWR who easily pushed 300+ lbs. and was around 5' 6" tall. Not sure how that shows professionalism to the paying hordes in the back.

phrog x 2.jpg

7 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Back when people actually cared about how they presented in public. Unfortunately this also applies to flight crew. I saw a First Officer at EWR who easily pushed 300+ lbs. and was around 5' 6" tall. Not sure how that shows professionalism to the paying hordes in the back.

I agree!  I've never been real comfortable sitting anywhere I can't see the gauges already.