Please suggest a good Joystick for me

savedlema

Ha Ha. A studdering, fumbling, nit wit with a name to match - 'Mr Wizard'. Yeah right. You buy this stick you are STUCK with it - no refunds, etc. The rudder control is the first to go-NO THANKS. (Buy a MS Sidewinder and be HAPPY (they never fail).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If he really wants to buy new, the Thrustmaster T16000m that I suggested uses a similar kind of sensor to the old Sidewinders - a hall sensor. It's just as good and benefits from an ambidextrous design.
i5 4670K - 16GB - GTX970 HOF - W7

Non pot sensor sticks rock. Loved the Sidewinder FFB until the spring carved a hole too large to hold the stick centered. Repaired it too many times to count. When it went bye bye, also went with it the limited switch count. Next best thing is Saitek X65F pressure sensitive. All heavy metal design and no moving parts on the stick except the 30+ switches and rollers. Almost indestructible. No practical limitations on the software.

With split throttle, works nice with DCS Warthog too. Not a casual gamers stick.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

You can't buy the stick, as it is currently 'Unavailable'. Stoped making them (because the keep 'coming back')? Manuf year: 2009. To get the stick you have to buy the HOTAS 'system', and that is $350. The stick does not self center. The calibration has to be re-done DAILY as the axis will go 'off center' (but only when you USE it - HA!) on it's own (software).

You will spend lots of hours (trying to) calibrate this thing. Then you will have to learn to use it, as it takes muscle to work (leading to carpal tunnel?) and you can't do aerobatics as the stick doesn't have the 'ability' to do elevator and rudder at the same time. Never mind the 'sensitive' range of FB is bogus and full of glitches. Saitek put out a 'fix' (software). Good luck with this 20 lb door stop.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Not sure what you mean here. The MS FF joystick doesn't have springs - the motors centre the stick and provide the force feedback. Without power, the stick just flops about.

At age 70, I can relate to your point!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Yes, I had this confused with another stick. Stopped working when the pots detecting the position of the motor/stick mechanism wore out causing the motors to flop around and mis-trigger.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

• 5 months later...

Nothing will ever compare to my Microsoft FF2 joystick. I keep buying them on Ebay since they are no longer made. With Russell Dirks force feedback software, it is absolutely incredible. Feeling the runway on take off and landing, and all the other sensations eliminates all other joysticks that I have tried...and believe me, I've tried many....and returned them to place of purchase.

Nothing comes close.

Stan

You tell them Stan. I TRIED - they won't listen. Spend your money on a new hard drive or a better video card. Some sticks may work 'ok' and some fail 30 days after you start using them on a regular basis (15 minutes once a week-ha!). They don't make them like the MS Sidewinders anymore. Sad but true. But to each his own. And misery loves company. HA.

Chuck B

Archived